Using Lastpass outside USA

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just thought I would mention this for those using Lastpass and traveling outside the USA (assuming this is your account country). I believe that it may not be possible to login to Lastpass from a foreign country without enabling Lastpass for the country you are visiting while you are in the USA.

The way to do it is here: https://support.lastpass.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&bundleId=lastpass&topicId=LastPass/Restrict_LastPass_Access_to_Specific_Countries.html&_LANG=enus

DW was not logged into Lastpass when we traveled in August and so could not use her iPhone to access passwords stored in Lastpass. Might have been an issue should I have not been able to login myself. Lucky I was logged in but if I had logged out it would have been a big problem. Since then I have allowed login for countries we might likely visit.

We just returned from Sicily 2 days ago. Spent 17 days there and I have Lastpass. It was difficult to sign in because the 6-digit codes to my iPhone took too long. I then only signed into my NYT and WSJ, and e-mail. We used WhatsApp to communicate with family and our drivers. I decided I didn't feel comfortable signing into anything financial or personal other than e-mail. One of those things traveling overseas.

We just returned from Sicily 2 days ago. Spent 17 days there and I have Lastpass. It was difficult to sign in because the 6-digit codes to my iPhone took too long. I then only signed into my NYT and WSJ, and e-mail. We used WhatsApp to communicate with family and our drivers. I decided I didn't feel comfortable signing into anything financial or personal other than e-mail. One of those things traveling overseas.

I use a VPN when traveling, but still don't do any financial stuff unless absolutely needed.

I plan not to do any on a trip, for example prior to the trip, I pay all my CC's current balance, even if not billed yet, and put $50 on any CC that might have a charge so I won't miss minimum payment should I get back late.

I do have a couple of CC on autopay, so I don't do anything with them as they autopay the statement amount each month. Very handy.

It’s wise not to do anything financial while traveling. But if one must, use a VPN. Even the free ones are better than pretending the hotel or pub wifi is secure.

I don’t use LastPass anymore, but I did find a similar problem when I tried to use BOLT in Portugal. Their security won’t let person sign up for the service while outside their country. Had I signed up in the USA it would have worked fine, so I am told. But, my attempt to sign up while in Portugal was a bust. I kept getting error messages. I had Uber and it worked great. Supposedly Bolt is a little cheaper, but I could not test that for myself.

Lastpass allows one to specify the countries it will work in. Best to do that before leaving home.

I also avoid using my financial sites while on vacation anywhere. But if an emergency came up I would use cellular (and turn off wifi).

If I had lastpass, I'd turn on other countries pre-vacation , and then turn it back off once I returned.

No need to help criminals with the access.

That what I did when I used Lastpass.

I have a VPN server running on my home network. I connect to my VPN whenever I need to do anything financial. I’ve traveled for longer periods of time, so it’s nice to take care of financial stuff while gone. It also saves me time when I get back home, since there’s less to catch-up on.

Back
Top Bottom