USPS Early Retiree in Tennessee

postmuffin

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, I'm Cathy. I retired in March of 2009 at the young age of 51. Living in Florida, but far from my son in Tennessee - I was fortunate to sell my house in June 09 and move to TN. I now live in Murfreesboro, just South of Nashville. I really like it here and enjoy being near my 24 year old son.

I feel I'm too young to be retired, so I've been trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I worked as a Postmaster for the US Postal Service - 25 1/2 years of service. It's been fun over the last year to try out some different things that I always wanted to try but didn't have the courage to try. I've sold clothing at my favorite store - Chicos (didn't like hours, pay or standing on my feet), done clerical work at a University (job was temporary/part time and fairly boring - but I wish I hadn't quit it), done taxes for H & R Block (no money in that!), and tried selling life insurance (nope, that definitely wasn't for me). For now, I'm not working and living on my small retirement check. It's enough to pay the bills, but not much more. But, it's nice not to have to work.

Hi postmuffin! Welcome to the forum.

There are a variety of outlooks on retirement, as diverse as the people doing it. I understand about trying out the different jobs to see what it's like. Post retirement from 29 years in law enforcement I was even a car salesman. For a month. It was the only time in my life I've ever been fired from a job and I was laughing as I left the parking lot. "Well, that wasn't a good fit, on to something else...."

One of the longest-running threads is the one "What did you do today?" and that will give you ideas of the outlook.

Hi and welcome Cathy! I like Chicos too but don't think I'd want to work there either. Working in retail often means long hours, low pay and dealing with annoying customers. It's great you could move close to your son. Sounds like you two are close.:)

Congrats on the retirement.

It is nice to be able to choose to work (or not). Since you relocated, a little job hopping will be helpful in establishing a social network.

Welcome ! You will eventually stumble on something you really like to do ! After retirement I started selling on ebay and I really enjoy it . You just have to find your niche .

Thanks everyone! I have sold on eBay before, and may do it again if I can find my niche. It's been a fun year, and I'm thrilled to be near my son - and I think he's pretty happy that I am here also.

You could try reading & working through the exercises in a book like "The Pathfinder" by Nicholas Lore. There are other books in that genre too, but this is the only one I've read. I found it useful in coming up with a list of "must haves" for any job I would be interested in.

Welcome ! You will eventually stumble on something you really like to do ! After retirement I started selling on ebay and I really enjoy it . You just have to find your niche .

I think your achievement is really inspirational in this regard. You have managed to make good money, doing something you like, completely on your flexible schedule.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom