Utah's "Mighty Five" National Parks in May

Trip Report: Mighty5, May 2023.

We spent 20 days starting May 5. Flew in and out of Las Vegas, and went east into Arizona and proceeded clockwise through 7 national parks and 3 state parks in 4 states, plus Hoover and Glen Canyon dams, Lakes Mead and Powell, and Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon in the Navajo Nation.

First stop was St. George, Utah where we went to Gunlock State Park (cool waterfall right near road) and Snow Canyon State Park (Jenny's Canyon a highlight).

Then over the Glen Canyon Dam and past Lake Powell to Page, Arizona for the Navajo Nation highlights and the Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado River. Fabulous dam views. Stayed in Mexican Hat on the San Juan River.

Then into Colorado for Mesa Verde National Park (cliff dwellings), hobnobbing in Durango, then checking out Newspaper Rock en route to Moab, UT where we picked up both Canyonlands and Arches NPs.

Short jaunt to Torry, UT and Capitol Reef, then on to Panquitch UT and compact but visually amazing Bryce Canyon. A late detour took us back south to Jacob Lake, Az for an attempt to see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The Inn at Jacob Lake is very charming family owned spot with low-key rooms and rustic cabins. The North Rim was still closed due to historic snows, but we found a gravel side road. After rescuing some tourists stranded in a snowbank, we found a vantage point where we could see the Grand Canyon from the north.

Then we headed back north to Springdale, UT and Zion NP. Great views and hikes. "The Narrows" hike was closed due to high water but this did not diminish a great visit.

The final leg was back into Nevada, Valley of Fire State Park, Hoover Dam and then back to LV and home.

Highlights were Antelope Canyon which is just an amazing slot canyon which we have always wanted to visit. Monument Valley was also special. Among the Mighty Five we loved them all but we enjoyed Zion the most, then Bryce and Arches. I enjoyed the petroglyphs which we encountered at various points.

Many folks had great ideas earlier in the thread that helped to set the trip. Hat tip to Cocheesehead for restaurant suggestions including the amazing Xetava Gardens Cafe in Ivins, UT and memorable old school Milt's Stop & Eat in Moab. We enjoyed these greatly and would not have found otherwise.

Overall an epic trip that sounds hectic as a writeup but was not at all. We took our time and so many things are close together you can cover a lot without hurrying.

Several things we were unable to fit in but we were not trying to see everything. Definitely left some things for future trips.

Have hundreds of pics, will post a few. Many thanks to all!

ETA: Pics in order:
Zion near the "Narrows"
Bryce "Thor's Hammer"
Monument Valley "Forrest Gump Point"
Antelope Canyon-looking up View attachment 46562View attachment 46563View attachment 46564View attachment 46565

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the Big 5.

Attachments

• IMG_9456FB.jpg
    IMG_9456FB.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9574-6FB.jpg
    IMG_9574-6FB.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0257bfb.jpg
    DSC_0257bfb.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3525FB.jpg
    IMG_3525FB.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_3043fb.jpg
    DSC_3043fb.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 13
^^^^^^^

Stunning!

DW and I are both trying to get our health back (long stories.) If we can, then perhaps next year, we will do the Mighty Five, God willing.

Not sure what happened to my pics in post 151. Perhaps mods can fix.

A few of us have looked at your post and are afraid that we can't fix it. We can see that you made multiple edits after the original post so maybe at some point they were lost during the edits.

Sorry.

A few of us have looked at your post and are afraid that we can't fix it. We can see that you made multiple edits after the original post so maybe at some point they were lost during the edits.

Sorry.
Thanks. Yes was trying to make the captions line up. Will repost.

Once again, pics from Mighty Five trip:

1. Zion near "the Narrows"
2. "Thor's Hammer", Bryce
3. " Forrest Gump Point", Monument Valley
4. Antelope Canyon-looking up

View attachment 46592View attachment 46593View attachment 46594View attachment 46595

Once again the attachments have not worked and I don't know why. I can see that you edited the post. Did the photos initially appear and then you tried to re-arrange them, or did the photos never appear even on your first attempt?

This is a test from our trip to Utah.

Arches photo and Bryce photo.
Editing punctuation.

Attachments

• Arches National Park 16.jpg
    Arches National Park 16.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Bryce Canyon 07.jpg
    Bryce Canyon 07.jpg
    994.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Once again the attachments have not worked and I don't know why. I can see that you edited the post. Did the photos initially appear and then you tried to re-arrange them, or did the photos never appear even on your first attempt?

they appeared and were good after edit. The edit just was punctuation. not tied to the pics.

they appeared and were good after edit. The edit just was punctuation. not tied to the pics.

I just went back and edited my post, punctuation and an extra line of text. I’m at a loss as to what is happening.

It’s too bad that Dinosaur National Monument is in such a remote part of Utah (and that’s saying something!).

We visited the park last week. The fossils are amazing, and it’s in a very scenic area.

It’s too bad that Dinosaur National Monument is in such a remote part of Utah (and that’s saying something!).

We visited the park last week. The fossils are amazing, and it’s in a very scenic area.

I just watched PBS's "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" (I highly recommend this series, BTW!), and one of the episodes featured a part on Dinosaur National Monument. Looks like a rafting trip through it would be absolutely beautiful....if I weren't so afraid of huge rapids! :D

I just watched PBS's "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" (I highly recommend this series, BTW!), and one of the episodes featured a part on Dinosaur National Monument. Looks like a rafting trip through it would be absolutely beautiful....if I weren't so afraid of huge rapids! :D

A friend from w*rk did rapids (I think on the Colorado.) It was one of those huge rafts that looked terrifying. One of the guides broke and dislocated a shoulder on their expedition and had to be taken out (by jeep? or maybe airlifted?) My friend survived okay but said he wouldn't have done it had he known how dangerous it could be. YMMV

A friend from w*rk did rapids (I think on the Colorado.) It was one of those huge rafts that looked terrifying. One of the guides broke and dislocated a shoulder on their expedition and had to be taken out (by jeep? or maybe airlifted?) My friend survived okay but said he wouldn't have done it had he known how dangerous it could be. YMMV

Yeah it's stories like those that make me say no to these kinds of adventures! I came too close to capsizing on rapids on my last float trip!

Trip Report: Mighty5, May 2023.

We spent 20 days starting May 5. Flew in and out of Las Vegas, and went east into Arizona and proceeded clockwise through 7 national parks and 3 state parks in 4 states, plus Hoover and Glen Canyon dams, Lakes Mead and Powell, and Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon in the Navajo Nation.

<snip, snip>

So glad it was a great trip for you. So many things to enjoy in this region we've adopted as our home. We buzzed through our first two trips on motorcycles, staying longer in places like Bryce the second time through based on what captured our imagination.

For any foodies looking through this thread looking for ideas, Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder UT will serve you the best food you've ever had in the middle of nowhere.

Best regards,
Chris

So glad it was a great trip for you. So many things to enjoy in this region we've adopted as our home. We buzzed through our first two trips on motorcycles, staying longer in places like Bryce the second time through based on what captured our imagination.

For any foodies looking through this thread looking for ideas, Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder UT will serve you the best food you've ever had in the middle of nowhere.

Best regards,
Chris
+1 on Hell’s Backbone.

LOL we drove right by that as we came out of the Burr trail road. Next time :)

We did too for years, until seeing articles that touted how great the place is.

The other gem that many people miss is the Jacob Lake Inn on the way to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The cookies they produce are some of the best I've tried. A lot of effort in this region goes towards sweet treats, as the dominant faith has prohibitions regarding alcohol and hot beverages such as coffee.

Best regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom