Utah's "Mighty Five" National Parks in May

...Thanks for notes on elevation. Yes I am kind of curious the weather variance we will face and what we will pack for our layers.

Yes pack for layers. A couple of years ago in late March we visited Bryce and Zion. Bryce had about 2' of snow with temps around 30. Zion had no snow with temps around 50.

Given the snowmelt situation, rafting could be dicey in May, but two areas where it should be be fine are the CO River south of Moab and the Green River south of the town of Green River. These two come together in Canyonlands NP at a place called the Confluence, and once they join, there are some big rapids, but above it, both rivers are usually placid and calm, mainly level II rapids if any (the outfitters will be able to advise you on the current conditions, of course).

As for Zion, the one way Virgin River Narrows hike is 16 miles long and starts way upriver, but you can access the most scenic part of the Zion Narrows by starting at the mouth of the river within the park and hiking back up into the river 2-3 miles. However, at this time of year and with this year's snowpack, if it's even open (it currently isn't), you're likely to hit waist to neck deep pools of water that you'll have to swim through. On the plus side, that would keep the crowds away. :LOL:

I loved Capital Reef - it's very quiet compared to the other NPs and there's some great hiking there. Mesa Verde is just fascinating and fun to explore.

Meridiver,

Thank you this is very valuable.

We will not want to get into anything above class IV I don't think.

Kind of assuming the Narrows hike is out of not issuing scuba gear.

All the best.

Montecfo, remember most of the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde are only available via park guided tour, which fill up quickly. Therefore, you might want to consider staying at Cortez the night prior to your arrive and running out to the visitor center that evening to get tickets for the next day's tours. IIRC, the visitor center is open until 7:00 pm.

Also, if you are scared of heights there are some tours with more modest ladder climbs, but there are others that require rather long ladder climbs.

Montecfo, remember most of the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde are only available via park guided tour, which fill up quickly. Therefore, you might want to consider staying at Cortez the night prior to your arrive and running out to the visitor center that evening to get tickets for the next day's tours. IIRC, the visitor center is open until 7:00 pm.

Also, if you are scared of heights there are some tours with more modest ladder climbs, but there are others that require rather long ladder climbs.
How long of ladder climbs?

We are staying in Cortez 2 nights actually.

^^ Some are 10-20 feet in height. While I had no trouble w*rking underground in a coal mine, my fear of heights is sometimes paralyzing. I made it through Mesa Verde's ruins okay without incidence or having a breakdown. I just told myself that those cliff dwellers used those ladders to carry their water, game, foodstuffs and minor children. I sure as heck could carry a cell phone.

There is a fabulous Mexican restaurant next to the ( I think, Econo Lodge) on the main drag into town from the east.

Last edited:
Okay!

Booked:

Flights
Hotels
Rental car
Timed entry to Arches NP
Antelope Canyon tour

20 days, leave 2 weeks from tomorrow

Still need to book Monument Valley and Mesa Verde tours.

And a raft trip plus some other things y'all will tell me or I will find going back through this thread-again!

Thanks for all the help.

I highly suggest you make time to visit Valley Of Fire while in Las Vegas. It’s the oldest state park in Nevada, only about 30 mins from LV and it’s the most memorable visit we experienced in LV. The colorful rocks with stripes of yellow, pink, red, white are stunning! Here’s some info: https://www.earthtrekkers.com/valley-of-fire-las-vegas-day-trip/

In Page, I also suggest a short hike in grand staircase escalate to see Toadstool Hoodoos (it’s actually in UT, about 30 mins drive from Page).

The highway from Page to Monument Valley was one of the most isolated highways we’ve ever been. We passed maybe 2 cars in the 2+ hours’ drive, with absolutely nothing around you but red sand and rocks, not even birds. Oh, no cell phone service either.

While in Monument Valley, you only have 2 choices for hotels: The View or Goldings. I’d pick The View with balcony, which is inside the park your view will be the awesome left and right mitten rocks, and you can’t beat the sunset and sunrise from your balcony! The tour will pick you up from hotel lobby, which is super convenient.

Last edited:
Valley of Fire looks fabulous. We have added it to the itinerary.

As far as Monument Valley we are staying in Mexican Hat.

Made notes on the remoteness.

Thanks for those ideas, Popsicletoes!

In other news, found out the Mesa Verde ranger tours do not begin until 2 days after we are there. So a bit of a miss there but still lots to see.

Mexican Hat has very limited food options. When we were there last, both restaurants were closed.

^^^ I recommend Bluff UT, just down the road from Mexican Hat. We stayed there a couple of times now, at the Desert Rose. The little Twin Rocks Cafe in town is not bad too.

This is day 3 and we have done so much already. it seems like we have been gone a week.

We did go to Snow Canyon which is a marvellous state park, and to Gunlock. Falls in Gunlock State Park. Big flow there. Also Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon today and yesterday. Monument Valley is tomorrow and next day. Then Cortez, CO and Mesa Verde.

We have met some really interesting people. One today suggested we try to go to Pagosa Springs. It looks like we could do it given limited time at Mesa Verde. Does anyone find that stop worthwhile?

Thanks for all the ideas. Cocheesehead, we did eat at Xetava Garden Cafe and that is a fabulous spot. Thanks so much and thanks to all!

Last edited:
This is day 3 and we have done so much already. it seems like we have been gone a week.

We did go to Snow Canyon which is a marvellous state park, and to Gunlock. Falls in Gunlock State Park. Big flow there. Also Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon today and yesterday. Monument Valley is tomorrow and next day. Then Cortez, CO and Mesa Verde.

We have met some really interesting people. One today suggested we try to go to Pagosa Springs. It looks like we could do it given limited time at Mesa Verde. Does anyone find that stop worthwhile?

Thanks for all the ideas. Cocheesehead, we did eat at Xetava Garden Cafe and that is a fabulous spot. Thanks so much and thanks to all!
Glad you liked it and got a chance to do Snow Canyon.
Pagosa is less about seeing and more about soaking. The town is known for its hot springs. We’ve been there once on our bikes. It’s not a place I would drive out of my way to go to, but if you want to sit in a hot springs for a few hours, it could be fun.
https://visitpagosasprings.com/things-to-do-hot-springs

Last edited:

Glad you enjoyed the two Utah State parks in my backyard. Snow Canyon is one of the reasons we moved to St George 11 years ago.

I hope the rest of the stops are even more enjoyable.

Best regards,
Chris

Informative thread! Some friends of ours suggested a trip to the region for early October. I knew nothing about the area, but feel like I know enough to be dangerous after reading here :)

I did the hot springs at Camp Verde on the Verde River in AZ on a 3 day canoe trip long ago. The springs were very welcome after a couple of days of canoeing.

I was too young to give much thought to the personal hygiene aspects at that time.

All considered I guess we will pass on Pagosa Springs but we are calling an audible and spending a couple of days in Durango instead of Cortez, Co.

Chris, I am really glad we spent our first night in St. George. That was another last minute change.

I did the hot springs at Camp Verde on the Verde River in AZ on a 3 day canoe trip long ago. The springs were very welcome after a couple of days of canoeing.

I was too young to give much thought to the personal hygiene aspects at that time.

All considered I guess we will pass on Pagosa Springs but we are calling an audible and spending a couple of days in Durango instead of Cortez, Co.

Chris, I am really glad we spent our first night in St. George. That was another last minute change.

Durango is a fun town. Cortez is kinda dumpy. Good call.

We are in Ouray right now, just a bit north of you.

Attachments

• IMG_4601.jpg
    IMG_4601.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4603.jpg
    IMG_4603.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 20
Durango is a fun town. Cortez is kinda dumpy. Good call.
It’s been a while since I visited Cortez, but I always enjoyed the town.

We are in Ouray right now, just a bit north of you.
One of our faves, especially the jeep trails from there into the mountains. Great hiking and birding too.

Unforgettable drive over from Silverton/Durango, “Million Dollar Highway”.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom