V6 SUV Options/Opinions/Experiences??

doneat54

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am thinking of selling my V8 powered Dodge pickup truck/plow truck next spring. Sold the RV trailer that necessitated the V8 engine last year, and we plan on selling the primary property that necessitated plow trucks since 2004, in 2023. I'll just try to make do with a big assed snow blower for 2 more winters after this one.

I have a 16 ft tandem axle flatbed trailer that can haul anything the pickup truck would. So I am looking at an SUV with a V6, and 4500-5000lbs towing capacity minimum. I never have, and never will buy a new car, so looking at 2017-2020 SUVs, 40k or fewer miles, and trying to stay $20k-$25k (next spring mind you).

I had an '05 Dodge Durango that I loved, best value in a car ever for me. So I am right now looking at Durangos, Toyota Highlanders and Jeep Cherokees. They all see to be available in the age/miles/price range I am looking for.

Owner experiences with any of those? Other thoughts/options? DW wants and Audi Q5 bad, and they do come with a 3.0 Turbo V6, but they are just too damned expensive IMO.

Unfortunately, I can't help you on the SUV other that what is it that you need to haul that requires a 16' dual axle flatbed trailer? I have a GMC Canyon that easily serves our hauling and towing needs, but I suspect that it wouldn't be sufficient for you.

We did have a 42" (I think) snowblower that attached to the front of our Cub Cadet lawn tractor that, alog with wheel weights, served us well for many years. Just keep in mind the wind direction while you are snowblowing. We later downsized to a Cratftsman walk-behind snowblower and that actually worked ok. At the time our driveway was ~300' long and relatively flat and we had a parking area and ~50' walkway to the front door.

Toyota 4runner can tow up to 5000lb can is pretty reliable. ~30k used.

Unfortunately, I can't help you on the SUV other that what is it that you need to haul that requires a 16' dual axle flatbed trailer? I have a GMC Canyon that easily serves our hauling and towing needs, but I suspect that it wouldn't be sufficient for you.

We did have a 42" (I think) snowblower that attached to the front of our Cub Cadet lawn tractor that, alog with wheel weights, served us well for many years. Just keep in mind the wind direction while you are snowblowing. We later downsized to a Cratftsman walk-behind snowblower and that actually worked ok. At the time our driveway was ~300' long and relatively flat and we had a parking area and ~50' walkway to the front door.

I use the trailer to get one ton pallets of wood pellets for the stove, and we will probably be gradually moving to our lake house in '22. Loam and bark mulch runs, etc. Don't "need" a 16 foot flatbed, but found it in town when I was thinking I might need to transport antique cars (never did) and got it for $1000.

Pickup trucks are just stupid expensive. My '05 Durango I got for $4k with 110K on the odometer. Drove it (pulled a 21 foot RV trailer) 30k plus miles and when the AC finally died and I couldn't see spending more money on it, 3+ years later, I sold it for $1300. Bought an '08 Dakota, SAME 4.7 liter V8, transmission, drivetrain, ~110k miles...... $12.7k. So, don't need/want a pickup truck as long as I have the flatbed.

I did the tractor/blower attachment, wheel weights thing for many years, but it was just a huge PIA. Taking on/off seasonally, storing... not worth it. Present situation is tough as I have a 70x70 foot square asphalt pad in front of the house and detached shop. You can only throw snow so far... else you have to "throw it again". Could be tough in a heavy snowfall, but for 2 winters, I'll deal with it. That is the thought for now anyway.

Have had a lot of failures on the Dakota, tired of working on it, spending money on it, thinking my plowing days are over.

Toyota 4runner can tow up to 5000lb can is pretty reliable. ~30k used.

Was looking at them too. But reality is I will probably use it more on road than off, and the 4 Runner, compared to the Highlander, is more off road than on. Similar drivetrains, and towing capacity.

I've got a 2017 Highlander and it does everything I need including trailer towing. My only real gripe with it is limited visibility due to thick pillars and a zillion headrests.

I test drove a Nissan Pathfinder (2020) a Toyota Highlander (2018) and a Jeep Cherokee (2021) last week. Highlander was OK, but the dashboard was busy, plasticy and looked outdated and the fact they are still using incandescent headlights in that car is inexcusable IMO. Ruled it out.

The Pathfinder wasn't originally on my list but amazingly affordable, 6000lbs towing capacity and great tech. Felt the most powerful of the bunch, and the CVT drivetrain is interesting. Floor it and the tach hunts to 3500rpm and just stays there while the truck accelerates.

Over at Jeep they had sold the one I inquired about (even though I am not buying now anyway) so they gave me a loaded 2021 with 111 miles on it to drive (the salesman said as I got in and closed the door "Keep it on the road, for now, ok?"). I was VERY impressed. Amazingly comfortable leather seats, and the interior layout is very nice. All the features I want.

But then I learned that the Grand Cherokee is a different model, I had thought it was just a top trim Cherokee. Slightly bigger engine and lots more options to choose from. More expensive of course, but now I am looking at them. Still want to drive the VW Atlas too.....

I hope it is not too much of a thread hijack, but I'm interested in comments on SUVs that can have a truly flat floor large enough for a sheet of plywood or rock. I tried Google, but many that claim a flat floor just have second row seats that fold partway down but not actually flat. One of my favorite vehicles ever was a Suburban from years ago that could give me a truly flat floor.

Our local auto show is in May and I've been planning look there but any advance info would be appreciated.

I saw one in my searches that looked like it went totally flat in back with 2nd and 3rd row seats down. Maybe Honda Pilot? I'd think you'd have to go to a suburban or Expedition full size to be able to get a whole sheet in there.

I’m not sure about the newest Chrysler Pacifica but the Town and Country could fit a whole sheet of plywood flat. Been there done that. Not exactly an SUV, but the Pacifica is a very good looking mini van that has the same basic utility as an SUV.

We recently looked over some of these same SUVs. We ordered a Kia Telluride and should be getting it early next month.

It arguably had the best tech package comparable SUVs. It drove very nicely, has plenty of room for tall folks (like me and my family). The third row seats were the ONLY ones we saw in this class that a normal adult could sit it if need be.

And the back deck was flat with the seats down. No idea if it can fit plywood though.

NOTE: Hyundai Pallisade is another version of this same SUV. Same engine, frame, etc. Different styling and a few other features.

I hope it is not too much of a thread hijack, but I'm interested in comments on SUVs that can have a truly flat floor large enough for a sheet of plywood or rock. I tried Google, but many that claim a flat floor just have second row seats that fold partway down but not actually flat. One of my favorite vehicles ever was a Suburban from years ago that could give me a truly flat floor.

Our local auto show is in May and I've been planning look there but any advance info would be appreciated.

I think you will need a full size at minimum, and probably the long wheelbase version if you want to have it fully inside like your old Suburban. Even my old 97 Expedition, would fit the 4 ft wide sheets between the wheelwells, but the floor length was too short to close the rear hatch. The main issue you will have is getting a full 8 ft behind the front seats. The trailer option is a good suggestion mentioned earlier.

Back to OP. The Grand Cherokee is completely different vehicle than the Cherokee. Grand Cherokee is also known as the Durango under Dodge nameplate, basically same vehicle. You can get the V8 in GC or Durango, as well as the base V6.

I never realized that about SUV's , until helping DD move some furniture.
Her seats didn't go flat. :facepalm:

So we used my Sienna Van with the middle seats removed (how I always have it) and the back seats folded into the floor.

You might look outside of the box and consider the Hyundai Pallisades/Kia Telluride both with V6's and 5000 lb towing capacity. The reviews seem very good and the warranty is excellent. Reliability also good. Price of a new 2020 or 2021 might be the same as a used from another make. Really like the looks of the blacked out Telluride: https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/telluride

But then I learned that the Grand Cherokee is a different model, I had thought it was just a top trim Cherokee. Slightly bigger engine and lots more options to choose from. More expensive of course, but now I am looking at them. Still want to drive the VW Atlas too.....
I've bought 4 new GC's in the past 5 years. (like new cars :)) Loved them all and never had to put any of them in the shop for anything. (I do my own basic maintenance) I do get the bigger V8's :) and fully loaded since I like gadgets... Super comfortable, luxurious, powerful, roomy and reliable... Gas mileage isn't great but I didn't buy it for that.... When it comes time, I'll probably buy another one.

Last edited:
You might look outside of the box and consider the Hyundai Pallisades/Kia Telluride both with V6's and 5000 lb towing capacity. The reviews seem very good and the warranty is excellent. Reliability also good. Price of a new 2020 or 2021 might be the same as a used from another make. Really like the looks of the blacked out Telluride: https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/telluride

Those did test out very well with C&D, which I respect..

I'm reluctant with new models but hope they continue to be reliable there too. The Hyundai and Kia cars seem to be very good values.

Full disclosure: DW owns a Hyundai

Well the only used ones I found on Carfax went from $35 -$45k used. Much more than he wants to pay. They do get good reviews but definitely not less new than the used ones he mentioned.

I never realized that about SUV's , until helping DD move some furniture.
Her seats didn't go flat. :facepalm:

So we used my Sienna Van with the middle seats removed (how I always have it) and the back seats folded into the floor.

Those Sienna vans are not flashy but boy are they versatile!

Those Sienna vans are not flashy but boy are they versatile!

They appear to have removed the six cylinder for 2021 in favor of the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. No doubt the same POS that was in the 2010 Highlander... Pretty sure I am done with Toyota for now as a result.

I test drove a Nissan Pathfinder (2020) a Toyota Highlander (2018) and a Jeep Cherokee (2021) last week. Highlander was OK, but the dashboard was busy, plasticy and looked outdated and the fact they are still using incandescent headlights in that car is inexcusable IMO. Ruled it out.

The Pathfinder wasn't originally on my list but amazingly affordable, 6000lbs towing capacity and great tech. Felt the most powerful of the bunch, and the CVT drivetrain is interesting. Floor it and the tach hunts to 3500rpm and just stays there while the truck accelerates

Check reliability histories with the Nissan CVT. They don't sound good to me.

The full size vans with enough room to haul plywood are actually larger than most people need. And they're also very expensive ($55K to $70k) to buy and run.

I had an Explorer XLT with 89K miles, and traded it in May for a F150 STX SuperCrew with a rear seat as big as a limo. We use it for traveling to the mountains and haul plywood and building supplies.

My 3 year old Camry Hybrid with 69K miles was recently traded for a 2021 Toyota Venza Hybrid AWD. It's a completely new SUV model and it is getting 39.5 mpg presently in mixed driving. The hybrid powertrain is incredibly quiet and smooth too. Hybrids are surprisingly peppy coming off a red light and will cruise easily @ 80-90 MPH.

Toyota's got hybrids perfected, and they're about as trouble free as any vehicle made. At my age, I'm into reliability and low cost of driving.

Last edited:
That's what we ordered. :angel:
If I was in the market for such, I'd certainly look at it. My Hyundai Genesis Coupe turns 11 this year. Only 62K miles on it and it's been pretty reliable. Only repair recently was O2 sensor. Low miles but perhaps age can be a factor for those things. I really like the 3.8L V6 - real get up and go, taut handling and a sporty sound. With Hyundai/Kia, you get a lot of bang for the buck.

Back
Top Bottom