Vacation to Florida..I Need Ideas...Places/Things?

ebisky

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello All:

I will be going on vacation with some relatives for a week in the seminole/clearwater area of Florida in middle March. I wanted opinions on the "musts" while we are down there. The places we must go or must eat, must do etc...

I have been to Florida many times in the past, but was looking for some more ideas. I really have no idea especially when it comes to food. What are the best places to eat breakfast/chinese/bbq/supper etc etc..?? Places to go?? Beaches, things to see? museums? Just any ideas you guys could give me would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance!!

-E

Food. Florida. Maybe I can help. I have been away too long to know what places are still there, but once you know what to ask for, this may help:

Tampa area... Run up to Tarpon Springs for some good Greek food and ambiance. Walk around the port. Buy a horseshoe crab shell for a gift. The smaller restaurants on the back streets are the most authentic (and usually cheaper). Also have belly dancing.

You can get (OK, 25 years ago we got...) really good Greek salad and gyros ("EE-rohs") in Tampa. Better than Chicago!

Do not miss good Cuban food in Tampa! Good paella (sp? Say, "pie-AY-ah".) will be expensive, but worth it. Black bean soup. Pampano Papillo (sp? again--Spanish for pampano cooked in a bag with rice and saffron). [The "ll" comes out like y in "yes".] Get a big pitcher of sangria, too. Try Ybor City area. Ask around. Find Jose Martin's grave. See the cigar factory. Find the hotel that Teddy Roosevelt rode his horse into. Windsurf on the bay (don't fall in the water...it used to be pretty polluted).

There used to be some neat restaurants on the beach in Clearwater. Find one that hangs over the beach and look down. Maybe you will see the horseshoe crabs mating in the shallow water, like we did.

In Clearwater, find a baseball summer camp. Ask around. Go to a game.

Conch chowder. Stone crabs. Gulf shrimp (be careful, though--my wife is allergic to something in them, we discovered). Shark. Swordfish. Boiled peanuts by the side of the road out of a drum.

Go to Busch Gardens. Not as hokey as some of the stuff in central FL.

Maybe go south to Sannibel Island for the day. Enjoy a great beach. In Ft Myers (you have to go through Ft Myers to get to the island), visit Tom Edison's winter home.

Take a trip east past Lakeland. Go to Peeble's Barbecue in Auburdale, FL, for the world's best ribs. Here:
http://national.citysearch.com/profile/2727656/?brand=smx_restaurant-nc
Call ahead. They are closed some time in the winter.

Go to Plant City for the Strawberry Festival:
http://www.flstrawberryfestival.com/
Hurry!

Go to Bok Sanctuary. See and hear the Bok [carillon] tower on the highest point in Florida:
http://www.boksanctuary.org/
See the grave of Edward William Bok, Dutch immigrant who published the Ladies' Home Journal. Made a bleeding fortune, before income taxes! [G*d-d*mned Dutchmen. Said the kid from Friesland.]

Go see Spook Hill in Lake Wales:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/FLLAKspook.html

Go to Cape Kennedy. See the monuments to our glorious past.

Go to Orlando. See Lake Buena Vista. See Epcot Center. Forget everything else.

I liked FL. I remember hearing Jimmy Buffett for the first time almost 30 years ago on the car radio singing "Cheeseburger in Paradise" as I was driving to Tampa. Muy sympatico!

Why would you go to Florida to eat Chinese food? (Except my buddies' restaurants, and he has been out of business for 20 years.)

Oh, yeah. If you go to the beach, WEAR HIGH SPF SUNSCREEN! ALL OVER YOU! Wear a hat, too. The sun on the beach in Clearwater can kill you.

Have fun! Remember me to Jose Martin.

Ed The Gypsy

Oh, yeah.

Sunday brunch at the restaurant in the top of the Polynesian Village in Disney World. It used to be the only place north of Miami you could get a bagel.

I won't share my favorite Central Florida topless joints with you. Sorry. :-X

Of course, you could go over to St. Petersburg, "City of the Living Dead". Go to watch the pellicans on the wharf. One of them is famous.

Watch out for the old drivers. For some reason, they think that when they retire, they don't have to follow the driving laws anymore. Add that to bad eyes and Alzheimers' and one of you should be taking a cab.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Why would you go to Florida to eat Chinese food?

agreed. all the chinese food here tastes the same no matter what restaurant. for good chinese, go to new york.

that said, not far from clearwater, tampa is really a nice little city. i'm in south florida but spent two weeks  there & central fl waiting for fp&l to get us back online after wilma.

besides the good suggestions already, the aquarium downtown tampa is surprisingly well-done. there is an easy hop on/off trolly car on rail. for few bucks it takes you downtown, past aquarium, seaport over to ybor city, the restored historic part of town. you'll find good lunch places and evening entertainment there. enjoy.

ps. lowry park zoo just north of tampa isn't too bad either. kind of low key but well kept and you can feed the giraffe by hand.

Listen to the Gypsy,
that Cuban meal is not to be missed. Exactly as he described, get the black bean soup, Pampano and sangria. You will be happy you did.

And the boiled peanuts are a must. If you've never had them, it will be a memory for the ages. I know a couple who nearly come to blows when the subject of boiled peanuts comes up.

One thing I'll add is if you make it east to St. Cloud get a captain's platter at The Catfish Place. Yep, it's fried and still sizzling when you eat it. I think it contributed to my step fathers early demise. One meal :confused:

Wow, great information everyone! :)

Truly appreciate the information/advice. I'm looking forward to this trip!

If anyone can think of some more suggestions, that'd be great.

-E

A good place to eat in the Clearwater area is the Conch Republic. Head south on Gulf Blvd from Clearwater Beach it is on the left in, I want to say, North Reddington. Basically go south if you get to Madeira Beach you've gone too far. I live in Seminole.

Personally, I stay out of St. Pete, unless I'm well armed and go with others similarly armed. I don't want the squirts I arrest to know what my family looks like and I don't want to dispatch one of those squirts in front of my kid. There's way too much crime and my truck isn't protected by an anti-theft chip. A lot of cars are stolen from there. That and the police chief called me (my ancestors actually) guineas. So screw 'em. It's my personal protest about how the police officers are treated by the leadership in that city. They even had the gaul to name a gym after a drug dealer, who was doing something he shoudln't have been doing and was shot by a police officer.

If your going to the beach and your older Clearwater Beach might not be the best place this time of year because of spring break. If you go a little south to Indian Shores it is less crowded and older people. If your young and single Clearwater Beach is the place to be.

lets-retire,

Do the Scientologists still have a footing in Clearwater? What happened after L. Ron bit the big one?

Florida is a zany place. Always has been. I understand your interest in personal protection there.

By the way, do you figure on retiring in FL? I always wondered, if one lives and works in Florida, do they dream of retiring in Buffalo? ;)

Ed The Thetan >:D

Go see the Aquarium in downtown Tampa.
Stay off of Rt. 19 if possible, a very dangerous road.
Walk around the quaint little downtown area of Dunedin.
Go to Safety Harbor, walk out on the pier and maybe you'll see manatees.
There is nothing in downtown Clearwater, but if driving thru,
you may see the people walking around in white uniforms - they're the
Scientologists.

bennevis said:
Go see the Aquarium in downtown Tampa.
Stay off of Rt. 19 if possible, a very dangerous road.
Walk around the quaint little downtown area of Dunedin.
Go to Safety Harbor, walk out on the pier and maybe you'll see manatees.

It's been a while since I've been to Florida and I'm hearing stories of towns not to go into and roads to stay off of. Has Florida really gotten that bad over the last 6 years??

St. Pete, Clearwater is PINELLAS County - the most densely populated county
in FL.
Rt. 19 is dangerous because of speeders, people that run red lights, and just too damn many cars travel that road.

The scientologists pretty much own Clearwater. From talking with Clearwater police officers scientologists are very powerful in the city. The St Pete Times ran an article I think last year. They showed a picture hilighting the areas downtown that are owned or rented by memebers of the church. It was pretty much most of hte downtown area.

As far a retirement goes, I'm outta here at the end of July (not retired though). There are too many people, it's too expensive and I'll make a good return on my house when it sells. My plan was to leave the state when I retired, mainly to avoid running into one of the squirts I arrested when I was working five years after I retire. My plan was to go to a small podunk place at least 2 hours from the nearest tourist attraction.

I second the Rt 19 thing. If you go up Alt 19 it is a much nicer ride and less congested.

lets-retire said:
The scientologists pretty much own Clearwater. From talking with Clearwater police officers scientologists are very powerful in the city. The St Pete Times ran an article I think last year. They showed a picture hilighting the areas downtown that are owned or rented by memebers of the church. It was pretty much most of hte downtown area.

As far a retirement goes, I'm outta here at the end of July (not retired though). There are too many people, it's too expensive and I'll make a good return on my house when it sells. My plan was to leave the state when I retired, mainly to avoid running into one of the squirts I arrested when I was working five years after I retire. My plan was to go to a small podunk place at least 2 hours from the nearest tourist attraction.

I second the Rt 19 thing. If you go up Alt 19 it is a much nicer ride and less congested.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Just a side note. I did a huge research paper in my history of religion class on scientology. I knew nothing of the religion until I did my paper. Very interesting religion. I'm not a scientologist, but if you guys have questions or was wondering something about it, I think I could answer it. Send me a PM.
;)

Did you know they own their own cruise ship?? They take all of their level 4's or whatever they are called (forgot). They are at the very top of the pyramid. They take them all on the boat and that's how they are brought to the very last level within the religion. These people are said to possess powers. The only way they can reach the last level is on that cruise ship. Weird stuff. Anyways! OT.

-E

ebisky said:
if you guys have questions or was wondering something about it, I think I could answer it.

E,

I know very little about Scientology (other than a few joke references) but am curious to learn more. Could you give me a 'cliff's notes' summary?

Thanks,

omni

ebisky,

I appreciate your PM on "Cliff's Notes" on Scientology.

Thanks.

omni

Not near Clearwater, but 20 years ago we went to Sanibel/Captiva and paddled a canoe through the Ding Darling nature preserve--awesome! Anhingas, ospreys, crabs, spooky woods--the kids still remember it. We ate at a restaurant called something like The Bubble Room on Captiva...great kitschy 40s/50s ambiance and tasty burgers as I remember. Our waiter wore a button that read, "Stop staring at my button!" (And they say my memory is going :D )

We just returned from a wonderful trip along the coast from Sarasota to Ft. Meyers (Sanibel and Captiva).  Sanibel and Captiva were wonderful and we spent time collecting shells and biking.  One of the nicest stops was the "Mucky Duck" a pub on the beach on Captiva.  We had great views of the sunset on the beach, music and good food after sunset. 

The Keys along the coast have great beaches (Siesta Key is one of the best in the US) and great laid-back beach restaurants such as the Beachhouse on Anna Maria Key on Bradenton Beach and the Sandbar on the north side of Anna Maria Key.  They all have good music, good drinks and good food...

This is a good time to visit...temps in the mid 70's to  low 80's during the day ...   

Truly Margaritaville!

BarabaraAnne

If you get back down that way check out Manasota Key, they have some of the best beaches for sharks teeth. DH and I love that part of FL and have friends in the area.

so many ideas.

I think we're going to visit the Bok Sanctuary, that place looks pretty relaxing.

We may also stop by Edison's Winter home on the way back from the airport when we first get down there since we are flying into Ft. Myers.

If anyone else has more ideas, let me know by Wednesday, because that's when we're leaving! :cool:

Thanks, Outtahere for the good suggestion...

Our teenage son had fun looking for shark's teeth at Venice Beach, but he would enjoy a new area to search... Hopefully we'll make it back to the area next year!

ebisky said:
so many ideas.

I think we're going to visit the Bok Sanctuary, that place looks pretty relaxing.

We may also stop by Edison's Winter home on the way back from the airport when we first get down there since we are flying into Ft. Myers.

If anyone else has more ideas, let me know by Wednesday, because that's when we're leaving! :cool:

By all means, stop and see Edison's home - very worthwhile !

Manasota Key is not far from Venice Beach, I've been there too, just too crowded for me.

oh, yeah:

If you are driving, pump your own gas. Don't let the attendent anywhere near your car. Chase him off. Unless you want to buy a new set of tires or a new alternator.

Ed the old carney

I have spent almost a month here, Highway 19 is INSANE.

Sarasota and Dunedin have turned out to be the places we will look seriously at for spending winters, Sarasota has a good edge, neat place, very artsy.

ALL People we have met have been very friendly, I also am now more convinced that there is a Real Estate Bubble.

Huge building projects, prices 3 x that of a few years ago, lot of flipping of properties.

Weather is 80, and Honey Moon Island north of Dunedin is agreat place to laze and to fish.

Most places and all Parks do not let you take in Pets, if you are travelling with a dog, you will pay a surcharge, here it is almost $150.

Back
Top Bottom