Vacuum recommendations

Roomba 6-series. Built like a tank, cheap, never vacuum again. I haven't for over 15 years now.

Update: I ended up getting the Shark Apex. It has great suction! The only thing I don't like about it is that it's heavy, and the attachments are heavy! But the suction was the most important aspect to me.

Thanks again, all, for your assistance! I hope this post helps others, too!

I bought a Shark Navigator from Costco for my Florida place. I was reluctant to buy an upright, but I needed something, and it was very reasonable. I think $129 or something like that.
I love the damn thing. I'm sort of abusing it, and it still works great.
JP
Update: I ended up getting the Shark Apex. It has great suction! The only thing I don't like about it is that it's heavy, and the attachments are heavy! But the suction was the most important aspect to me.

Thanks again, all, for your assistance! I hope this post helps others, too!

I bought a Shark Navigator from Costco for my Florida place. I was reluctant to buy an upright, but I needed something, and it was very reasonable. I think $129 or something like that.
I love the damn thing. I'm sort of abusing it, and it still works great.
JP
I use my old Dyson DC series for construction/shop use. I have abused it to the point of tripping breakers at occasions. Tripped breaker is my signal to replace the filters!! The motor on these Dyson DC never die.

Funny story: I had one of those Dyson DC upright die on me after 10 years of use. I recycled every plastic+metal part, and kept the power cord for future projects. After a few years I tried to use the power cord for some project. I then realized that the cord was no good. Probably a perfectly working vacuum went to waste!

Pjigar,
I've been using the Shark upright for some light construction work at the townhome

We were at Home Depot, and their Rigid shop vacs were on sale. I started eyeing one up, and my woman said, why? The upright is doing just fine. She is very frugal, and I really like that.

She was also right. I passed on the shop vac.
JP
I use my old Dyson DC series for construction/shop use. I have abused it to the point of tripping breakers at occasions. Tripped breaker is my signal to replace the filters!! The motor on these Dyson DC never die.

Funny story: I had one of those Dyson DC upright die on me after 10 years of use. I recycled every plastic+metal part, and kept the power cord for future projects. After a few years I tried to use the power cord for some project. I then realized that the cord was no good. Probably a perfectly working vacuum went to waste!

I ended up getting this one.

https://www.amazon.com/ORFELD-Cordl...qid=1608144459&sprefix=Olfeld,aps,224&sr=8-10

It was just under $110 for prime members. It had really good reviews and I thought it would be good to try out before I spent real money. I’ve never had a cordless stick type vacuum before. I’m hoping it gets used more by being easier to deal with versus our current corded canister vacuum, which works great, but is a pain to set up and move around the house with. Especially since in our house with no pets, mainly just picking up dust anyway.

I ended up getting this one.

https://www.amazon.com/ORFELD-Cordless-Handheld-Cleaner-Unique-Design/dp/B08FHSM58V/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2EANS122QLMJ0&dchild=1&keywords=orfeld+cordless+vacuum&qid=1608144459&sprefix=Olfeld%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-10

It was just under $110 for prime members. It had really good reviews and I thought it would be good to try out before I spent real money. I’ve never had a cordless stick type vacuum before. I’m hoping it gets used more by being easier to deal with versus our current corded canister vacuum, which works great, but is a pain to set up and move around the house with. Especially since in our house with no pets, mainly just picking up dust anyway.
I have a different ORFELD, and it is OK. I'd rate it a 4 on a 5. My biggest gripe being it is hard to hit the right spot to engage it on the charging station.

Let us know if you get a USMAIL asking for a 5 star review with an offer for a coupon in a few weeks. This really ticked me off! It could be the seller and not ORFELD. Still irksome.

I have a different ORFELD, and it is OK. I'd rate it a 4 on a 5. My biggest gripe being it is hard to hit the right spot to engage it on the charging station.

Let us know if you get a USMAIL asking for a 5 star review with an offer for a coupon in a few weeks. This really ticked me off! It could be the seller and not ORFELD. Still irksome.

That’s probably how they get the really good reviews I saw. Irks me a little bit, but still glad to see you at least gave it a 4/5. It’s really just a trial run anyway. If I like it, I’ll probably get something along the lines of a Dyson. Figured for $100 couldn't go too far wrong. Now if I spent $500+ on a Dyson and found them to be buying their reviews, I’d be much more upset.

Last edited:
That’s probably how they get the really good reviews I saw. Irks me a little bit, but still glad to see you at least gave it a 4/5. It’s really just a trial run anyway. If I like it, I’ll probably get something along the lines of a Dyson. Figured for $100 couldn't go too far wrong. Now if I spent $500+ on a Dyson and found them to be buying their reviews, I’d be much more upset.
That was exactly my line of thought. For the $80 in my case, it was worth a run. 2 months and it is doing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rainbow, or its modern-day equivalent, Hyla.

Uses water, purifies also the air in the house, you never need filters, and you will be amazed of how much stuff will suck from your carpet.

This is the best tech money can buy. Older principle, but super-powerful and always with consistent results. Leavs all the other vacuum manufacturers ... biting the dust. Especially the chinese crap, and stupid stuck-y paper filters.

One of the cases where new does not necessarily mean better...

Good pricing on ebay. These last forever.

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and replaced my fairly old Hoover Windtunnel with a Dyson V8 Absolute vacuum three years ago. Amazon says there's a newer model of this Dyson vacuum these days.

I love my Dyson, mostly because it is very light, easy to operate, and has good suction. As I grow older, I just don't feel like horsing a full weight vacuum all around my house.

I always wanted a Dyson but felt like I couldn't afford it. Now that I have one, I realize that to me it is well worth the price. I was just thinking about that yesterday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom