Vanguard 2-step verification

Well I don't make calls with my GV number that much. I have it set up to forward calls to my cell but also it transcribes the audio to an email.

It also sends the text messages, which is what Vanguard would send, a code that is good for 10 minutes. Then the GV app on my devices will show the notification on the lock screen without my having to open the app.

Or I could check my email and the code sent by SMS is there as well.

We ported our home phone number to a cell phone and then to GV (GV still doesn't take landline numbers IIRC). Family/Contacts have one number calling, and those calls go directly to our cell phones-that we select (can turn on/off which cell phones to receive GV calls). Unknown callers are set up to get stopped at GV screening and have to record their name to be forwarded. I've found that this stops 99% of all spam callers, and those doing business with us don't mind the hurdle. GV also allows me to block spam callers. They may either go to voice mail, or hear that the number is not in service (haven't put one to voice mail yet, all have gone to not in service).

We use the GV app on our android phones when making calls to avoid people and services capturing our cell phone numbers (shows GV number on caller IDs). Also verifies we are the caller to services requiring caller ID to be our (old) home phone number.

GV app allows us to use only one phone number with all cell phones - all cell phone numbers are masked with the GV number. Eliminates having to notify family/friends of new cell phone service/numbers. I have GV transcribe/forward all voice mails and it forwards all texts. If I'm on the internet, all I have to do is have Gmail open in another tab and VG verification texts (and others using text verification) show up immediately.

Last edited:
We ported our home phone number to a cell phone and then to GV (GV still doesn't take landline numbers IIRC). Family/Contacts have one number calling, and those calls go directly to our cell phones-that we select (can turn on/off which cell phones to receive GV calls). Unknown callers are set up to get stopped at GV screening and have to record their name to be forwarded. I've found that this stops 99% of all spam callers, and those doing business with us don't mind the hurdle. GV also allows me to block spam callers. They may either go to voice mail, or hear that the number is not in service (haven't put one to voice mail yet, all have gone to not in service).

We use the GV app on our android phones when making calls to avoid people and services capturing our cell phone numbers (shows GV number on caller IDs). Also verifies we are the caller to services requiring caller ID to be our (old) home phone number.

GV app allows us to use only one phone number with all cell phones - all cell phone numbers are masked with the GV number. Eliminates having to notify family/friends of new cell phone service/numbers. I have GV transcribe/forward all voice mails and it forwards all texts. If I'm on the internet, all I have to do is have Gmail open in another tab and VG verification texts (and others using text verification) show up immediately.

Does the GV app use a data connection or does it work over the cellular voice network?

Does the GV app use a data connection or does it work over the cellular voice network?

When you make a cell call - it will make the call via GV (cell will call through GV number). If for some reason GV cannot make the call through GV, it will ask you if you want to retry, or just use your normal cell phone direct. I've found that I can get around this issue by activating data (I normally keep data turned off while traveling, and keep my cell phone plan just cell/text-no data when at home). I use Republic wireless, and cell calls at home are normally GV via wifi, but regular out and about calls are cell via GV as well. The issue is GV will sometimes display on the phone a failure to connect to GV (must be sign-in issue related to its system - maybe a gmail/contacts issue). I normally have no data active when I make GV calls - just acts up every now and then. Overall works pretty good and GV is free (for now).

Last edited:
When you make a cell call - it will make the call via GV (cell will call through GV number). If for some reason GV cannot make the call through GV, it will ask you if you want to retry, or just use your normal cell phone direct. I've found that I can get around this issue by activating data (I normally keep data turned off while traveling, and keep my cell phone plan just cell/text-no data when at home). I use Republic wireless, and cell calls at home are normally GV via wifi, but regular out and about calls are cell via GV as well. The issue is GV will sometimes display on the phone a failure to connect to GV (must be sign-in issue related to its system - maybe a gmail/contacts issue). I normally have no data active when I make GV calls - just acts up every now and then. Overall works pretty good and GV is free (for now).

Edit/add:
Appears that the GV ap does cell to cell calls w/o signing in, but calls to land line numbers look for Gmail to sign-in to complete the call using GV ap (active data plan required). We're down in Florida for winter, and using data plan and cell calling (no wifi calling available). Will have to see how it works when we return in March when we are connected to wifi at home and out and about with only cell service (no data service plan). Probably the way it works here, is how it will work at home. All wifi calls (cell or landline) on GV ap, but only cell to cell (no landline calls) w/o data service while out and about.

To make a landline call using GV with just cell phone service - access your GV account via your cell phone(s) to make the landline calls.

Last edited:
Vanguard iPhone app. now supports TouchID. But when you enable it, it no longer uses 2FA.

I left feedback at Vanguard.com to suggest they combine both still.

Also the iPad app. was updated but doesn't support TouchID, despite recent iPads having TouchID. Also left feedback about that too.

Finally! TOUCH ID.. Wait, it doesn't work at all.. How can they roll out this piece of S***

Last edited:
Read this thread, installed update and it works for me on my iPhone 6.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom