Vanguard Brokerage acct -> 1099 when?

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
For those that converted VG accounts to brokerage accounts in 2021, was your 1099 mailed/available prior to the Feb 15 deadline last year?

We just converted in 2022 and are wondering if the 1099 will be available by Jan 31 or if we have to wait until sometime in Feb.

I remember it being mid February at least. Maybe a little later.

I just logged in to Vanguard and checked.
My consolidated 1099 form for my taxable brokerage account for 2021 was issued on 1/24/2022...

Depends on the complexity. Most probably by mid Feb but I’ve seen them as early as late Jan, or as late as early Mar - though Covid may have delayed the latter.

Depends on the complexity. Most probably by mid Feb but I’ve seen them as early as late Jan, or as late as early Mar - though Covid may have delayed the latter.

right. I got one at the end of January and another in the third week of Feb.

+1
Most places knock off the easy ones first, as soon as the data are available. It's a process that can extend a lot longer than anyone likes.

You'll get one set for your original style account, and another for the brokerage. I vaguely remember importing the first set, and when I imported the second set it did that and duplicated the first set, so I had to untangle that. This was a few years back and I might be wrong, but you will get two sets.

Did a little googling and found this. The "groups" are not well defined. I do know that having something like a REIT will likely throw you into group 3. So will a fund that has something like physical metal in it. Everything in simple VG mutual index funds? That's group 1.

Attachments

• taxsched.JPG
    taxsched.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 21
You'll get one set for your original style account, and another for the brokerage. I vaguely remember importing the first set, and when I imported the second set it did that and duplicated the first set, so I had to untangle that. This was a few years back and I might be wrong, but you will get two sets.

We have three brokerage accounts and one Mutual Fund Account. The 1099s for the MF account comes at the end of January. The brokerage accounts come in two waves depending on what the account holds. As someone mentioned, some types of assets kick a brokerage account into wave 2 in late Feb. Simpler ones come earlier.

A few years ago after I filed my tax return I received a revised 1099 from Vanguard. A couple weeks later I received yet another revised 1099. Since then I wait until the end of February to start my tax return.

My world record for a revised 1099 was from ETrade, received after April 17. I believe it was the third of three amendments. I was so peeved I transferred out and closed my account. This was around 2010.

Vanguard has been good in comparison, but I still let my return soak for a few weeks just in case there are amendments.

Back
Top Bottom