Vanguard->Brokerage->Quicken

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
We both have ira's at Vanguard. We rolled DH late last week to the brokerage acct, but how to we reconcile or add this on Quicken? Do we link to the old Vanguard IRA account?

If we just "add" it as a new account and delete the old, we lose all the past activity?

How have you handled this- we are very confused.

We both have ira's at Vanguard. We rolled DH late last week to the brokerage acct, but how to we reconcile or add this on Quicken? Do we link to the old Vanguard IRA account?

If we just "add" it as a new account and delete the old, we lose all the past activity?

How have you handled this- we are very confused.

It's been a while since I set up my Vanguard brokerage accounts in Quicken, but I seem to recall that you create a new account in Quicken and select "Vanguard Brokerage" from the list of financial institutions. At the time, I believe there was a second option for "Vanguard" or "Vanguard Mutual Fund". Since it's been several years, they could have changed this user interface.

Unfortunately, I think if you expect to have automated transaction downloads, you will likely have to set up a new account and it will not have the history of the previous mutual fund account in Quicken.

I would probably accept this and just move forward. I would also likely leave the old account in place so that I could see that history. However, I would manually add a transaction to the old account that zeroes out the balance effective the date of your migration to the brokerage account. That may happen automatically as you download transactions.

I have never trusted or relied on Quicken to track my lots and share cost basis. It never seemed to be able to be accurate. I still let it do it's thing, but I don't look at those numbers. I use Quicken for current balances, share numbers, total net worth, net worth tracking thru time, etc. I guess since you are moving IRAs, the cost basis doesn't even matter. I'd just verify the number of shares moved over properly into the new account and then zero out the old account. You can choose to hide that old account in the displays if you desire.

By the way, prepare yourself for a new way of transactions downloading. The use of a Sweep Fund in the brokerage account adds transactions to Quicken (and Vanguard's brokerage account) that you probably didn't previously have. As transactions occur, you'll see the transactions move money into and out of the sweep fund as a part of buying/selling your actual fund transaction. Sometimes there is a day or 2 delay before all of the transactions properly post to Quicken. Just be patient and let it do it's thing until you get the hang of what is happening. It really does make sense when it's all done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom