vanguard safety

Rushmore

Recycles dryer sheets
IF you did the Vanguard login safety measures did you go with needing an extra number just if it doesn't recognize your computer, or always needing an extra number whenever we you log in? I check Vanguard at least once a week and it would be a little bit of a pain to have my phone handy ever time, but I also want to be as safe as possible. what is your take?

thanks

I got my Vanguard login set up for 2FA, but not every time at my home computer.

This is the proper balance for me. If someone steals my password and tries to get in on his computer, the thief would still need my mobile to get in. But at the same time, having to enter extra numbers each sign in, at home, is too much overkill for me.

Nothing is fool proof. But I feel pretty safe with the different layers: 1) randomly generated password, 2) randomly generated challenge answers, 3) 2FA with mobile. Kinda like the end of "Get Smart" with all those closing doors :).

Last edited:
I got my Vanguard login set up for 2FA, but not every time at my home computer.

This is the proper balance for me. If someone steals my password and tries to get in on his computer, the thief would still need my mobile to get in. But at the same time, having to enter extra numbers each sign in, at home, is too much overkill for me.

Nothing is fool proof. But I feel pretty safe with the different layers: 1) randomly generated password, 2) randomly generated challenge answers, 3) 2FA with mobile. Kinda like the end of "Get Smart" with all those closing doors :).

Thanks - I did not realize that the 2-factor could be set up to only require it on a "away from home" computer. I also figured it was too much hassle to do every time, so I had not set it up. I will go ahead now.

-ERD50

Thanks - I did not realize that the 2-factor could be set up to only require it on a "away from home" computer. I also figured it was too much hassle to do every time, so I had not set it up. I will go ahead now.

-ERD50
It's not just and an "away from home" computer but any other computer even in your house. So I could test this out easily by setting up my PC as the primary computer and then testing it by trying to login on my tablet with the 2FA code coming to my phone. Works nicely and a password manager like Lastpass helps the process along too.

Need the number only for an unrecognized device.

Keep in mind that they send an email confirmation for all transactions or changes to an account. If you add a new bank there's a verification process that takes a few days. If you change your address they wont let you make any withdrawals for 10 days I think.

Yes, "unrecognized device" is a more accurate description than "away from home" computer. Though for me, I've only gone on Vanguard with my home PC, so that is my only recognized device. Though others may have other devices for access.

-ERD50

This is how I had done it, too. In fact I'd somewhat forgotten about it until I went to login from an unrecognized device and was unable. I guess that was my test. :)

So this for Vgd and the Symantec security token for Fido and I'm content for now.

I use the feature all devices, each time.

I use the feature all devices, each time.

I do too. Though I must admit, only out of ignorance. I didn't know you could negate the option on a computer. Oh well, phone is usually nearby anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do too. Though I must admit, only out of ignorance. I didn't know you could negate the option on a computer. Oh well, phone is usually nearby anyways.
I believe in simplification, rote, one set of rules. It's a minor annoyance, as I always have the cell to grab the texted code.

I really prefer a token, as Schwab has given me. Maybe VG has that option. That is really simple, provide you have the token. Press the button and add the six digits to the end of you password.

Just bear in mind that a recognized device (i.e., your main/home computer) can become "unrecognized" without warning due to a system or browser update, cookie expiration, or the like. Or if you use a different browser on the recognized computer.

I believe in simplification, rote, one set of rules. It's a minor annoyance, as I always have the cell to grab the texted code.

I really prefer a token, as Schwab has given me. Maybe VG has that option. That is really simple, provide you have the token. Press the button and add the six digits to the end of you password.

Yes, Target...I need simplification and rote... That reminds me when I first set the answers to the security questions, I read they need to be unconventional answers to escape someone else getting lucky answering them. Well almost a year goes by before I need any human phone contact. They asked me name of my grandmother, and I gave it, and they told me the answer was wrong. I started getting annoyed as I told them I know who my grandmother is, certainly more than you do. Then I consulted my passcode book, and ooops... Forgot I got cute with the password! Sorry, agent, my bad...

Yes, Target...I need simplification and rote... That reminds me when I first set the answers to the security questions, I read they need to be unconventional answers to escape someone else getting lucky answering them. Well almost a year goes by before I need any human phone contact. They asked me name of my grandmother, and I gave it, and they told me the answer was wrong. I started getting annoyed as I told them I know who my grandmother is, certainly more than you do. Then I consulted my passcode book, and ooops... Forgot I got cute with the password! Sorry, agent, my bad...

That's good to know the human on the other end stood pat and didn't cave no matter how well you know your grandmother :).

Password managers are great for those cute or very difficult to guess challenge answers. Read somewhere that the best password (I'll add challenge answers too) are the ones you don't know. That's why mine are randomized.

Do you have a security phone-in passcode? I would think that is all one needs when dealing with a VG rep.

Do you have a security phone-in passcode? I would think that is all one needs when dealing with a VG rep.

Im not quite sure what that means so I suspect not. A code you punch in after calling them? I cant keep up with my passwords already. If I have opened up my 3 brokerage accounts a 1000 times, I have had to look at my spiraled index cards with my passwords a 1000 times, too.
Nothing sticks in the old noggin like it used to. Though I suspect if my Dad brought "the belt" out of a 40 year retirement, my ability to remember may improve better than I think it could!

It is a PW you set up verbally. Probably does not have to be as rigorous as a typed in PW. Could be handy if computer access is difficult.

It is a PW you set up verbally. Probably does not have to be as rigorous as a typed in PW. Could be handy if computer access is difficult.

Probably a good idea LSB. But unfortunately change doesn't occur quickly around the Mulligan house. I just got my first ever smart phone last month. I remember getting my first smart phone about 8 years ago from work... Gave it to an underling, and switched him for his dumb phone. And you wonder why companies don't like to hire old people? :)

Back
Top Bottom