Vonage - Router Question

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I currently have a Netgear router. When I went to sign up for Vonage, I clicked on a page which asked me to "choose my device", all Linksysby the way. Will I have to buy their router? Sorry, the web-site isn't very intuitive. Maybe it's me at 6am ;)

You either buy their router with integrated telephone adapter, or you can get the (usually free after rebate, then rebonkered by shipping costs and activation fees) basic rtp300.

If your netgear router supports QOS (quality of service), you can put the vonage box behind the router with your other stuff. If it doesnt, you'll want to put the vonage box between your router/dsl modem and the existing router. Where it may not work, but if it does, it can prioritize your voice traffic. And also stunt off your data traffic flow enough that you'll be happy to sit around for a week waiting for vonage customer support to call you back and adjust the parameters of the box for better balance.

Or put it behind your router and get occasionally choppy phone calls when using the 'net along with a phone call.

Thanks CFB for answering my question.

No extra charge for the editorialization.

Before you go through the whole order shenanigans, be advised of the $10 shipping charge and the $30 activation fee they dont mention until just before you submit your order.

There are a bunch of codes to get the wireless linksys router for cheap, waive the activation fee, or get a free month, but it seemed like every one of them increases a price somewhere else, so there doesnt appear to be a free lunch.

Back
Top Bottom