Warm,Low cost of living,No/Low taxes, inexpensive golf & water sports

bpp said:
Aren't permanent residence permits available in any of the countries discussed here?  (Besides the US.)  Not right off the bat, but as an eventual possibility, at least?

Bpp

Most places have some form of "permanent" residence status- conditions will vary from country to country. From my own experience/knowledge, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and the EU certainly have a process to acquire a "permanent" status prior to completing the conditions necessary to acquire citizenship, should one so desire.

bearkeley said:
Not sure if anyone else has researched the Philippines or not...

My parents retired there and are living on $1k a month -- house, food, car, entertainment and 5 maids!    It's definitely warm and with the low low cost of living, they are able to get a local insurance plan with a catastrophic plan in the US.

We're planning on looking into it as a possible ER destination....some security issues in certain places, not to mention the over population thing...but the beaches are supposed to be beautiful!

Suprised to see that no one's mentioned Costa Rica --- visited there recently and is definitely on our list....

I know several people who have shifted residence to the Philippines - very cheap, nice weather and beaches BUT - rampant corruption, lots of domestic crime, particularly in the cities/metropolitan areas and local disputes/feuds have an alarming tendency to escalate to violence and shootings. Also, foreigners are not permitted to own real estate and the legal system is a complete shambles. Cebu is a lovely place for a vacation though.

Howard - you seem a bit alarmist in your comments on Australia - crocs and poisonous spiders and all. These hazards are largely inland and away from the cities/populated areas - bear in mind that overwhelming majority of the Australian population lives on or very near the coast, over 90% of the land, the outback, is not populated at all.

Cheers,

Honkie

ben said:
The Aus retirement visa requires one to be 55 years of age. The Thai one only 50 years of age.
The Thai retirement visa is valid for 1 year if one applies at Thai embassy. The extensions are also for 1 year and for a single person all that is required is $20k in a Thai bank(you don't have to spend them - can be used for next renewal too). How much is needed in Aus?

Ben,

As you're not 50 you must be using a tourist visa, aren't you ?
Or any other option to stay year long there ?

Jarhead,

Yes, the taxes in the suuburbs of Buffalo, NY are 3% of assessed home value, which is very close to market value. Keep in mind that real estate here has been appreciating at 0.7% during the recent real estate boom. The city of Buffalo and Erie County governments are bankrupt. State income taxes in NY are also high. Not a pretty picture. This state is just begging people to leave which is too bad. The fingerlakes region, the adirondacks region and the eastern upstate areas are very attractive.

honkie, if you are retiring, chances are it won't be into Sydney, Melbourne etc, prices there are not cheap.

Funnel Web spiders, they can be found anywhere, and snakes are a problem, mainly in smaller communities.

My Brother back packed for about 6 months in Oz, he loves the place, but then again, he thinks Montana is the nicest State in the US.

Costa Rica are raising the requirements for Retirement, a victim of success, now you must show $1,000 US Monthly income.

Retirees and Tourists account for 25% of CR's GDP.

I have been around the globe several times, for me, Southern Portugal and Spain best meet my expectations, less chance of having my safety compromised.

Phillipines, no thanks, things can turn on a dime, some people want Marcos style government.

Regarding Australia..

A few years ago I took an on-line "points test" to see if I would qualify for immigration into Oz, and I flunked by quite a margin. My age seemed to be the biggest factor working against me (late 40's at the time).

Has anything changed since then? Of course, since the dollar has slipped, it's not quite as attractive anyway..

Slarty said:
I live in Upstate New York in the Suburbs of Buffalo. It's the worst place for taxes that I have ever lived. Property taxes are over 3%! Sales tax is now 8.75%! :p I can't imagine why anyone would live here in retirement. Maybe the taxes are better in other parts of New York.

You must live in Erie County. Damn local gov't there is terrible.

Edited to add I posted that before I read on. And yes, you do! What a fiasco.

pbrane,Australia has a special extended Visa for retirees, might be 5 years, maybe 10, not sure?

Australia, like a lot of other countries, will discriminate against Citizens from North America and europe, in favour of otther areas of the world.

i suspect being a US Citizen went against you.

Canadians are one of the most disadvantaged when applying to immigrate to the US, easier to get in if you are Russian or from Africa.

bearkeley said:
Not sure if anyone else has researched the Philippines or not...

the philippines particularly Cebu for older retirees there is a visa in place for it aswell just google for the consulate also bali is a beautifull place, i wouldnt let the bombs throw you off that much there is also great expats sites for that.

News tonight, two people severely injured off the coast at Perth by Shark attacks.

Howard said:
News tonight, two people severely injured off the coast at Perth by Shark attacks.

Ah, and there have been at least one off the coast of Oregon. Could it be that overfishing is encouraging the sharks to find other prey?

Brat said:
Ah, and there have been at least one off the coast of Oregon. Could it be that overfishing is encouraging the sharks to find other prey?

shark ------> (splashing) food is food (soylent green) :dead:

Back
Top Bottom