WATERCRAFT - no motors

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
First... any kind of boat that does't have a motor...
Sailboats, canoes, rowboats, kayaks,paddle boats.. and like that.

THEN... where did you go with it/them.
Rivers, Ocean, Lakes, ?

And...any long trips... (more than a day)?

When? Now? As a kid?

A passion or a once in a while thing?

Share an experience.... :)

My wife and I are just back from a trip to the Adirondacks. We paddled our 80 year old wooden canoe for 25 miles during a two day journey. This was on chained lakes which are common up there. Some short portages here and there as well. We love being out on the water fishing or just sightseeing.

DW and I canoe. Just on our local rivers lately.

We got hooked on canoeing when we lived in SC. No better way to explore the beauty of the swamps. Saw many amazing and beautiful things back in there.

We went canoeing in the 4 Hole swamp one time and we were late getting back in the darkness. We got "lost" in the stream. It was very dark under the tree canopy and the current was weak. We could not find out way out of the "hole" for about a half hour. Thought we were going to have to sleep out there. Fun times.

This summer, a friend of mine and I went to the Great Lakes Shipbuilding School in Cedarville, Michigan (Upper Peninsula) and built the hull of a 17' Norestern Dory. It will be finished this fall and set in the water before Thanksgiving.

IMG_20180604_175544 (1).jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Beautiful boat.

I canoe would love to get a drift boat for river adventure and my outdoor activities. If you aren't familiar with a drift boat look them up. I own a ranch and part of it borders the river with so many opportunities.

My 22 year old kayak folds up (aluminum frame, canvas skin) and stows in two bags that easily fit in the trunk of a car. I've taken it all over the country and enjoyed both ocean and lake (it's strictly a flat water boat).

Alas, the company (Folbot) went out of business a couple of years ago after 83 years. Another wonderful folding kayak maker, Feathercraft, also went out of business around the same time.

The funniest experience was coming back into Maine from New Brunswick once when a US Customs inspector wanted to check out my car. "What's that?" he asked, pointing at the two bags. "A folding kayak" I replied.

There followed about a minute of the most puzzled look I've ever seen on someone's face, then he decided it was just too weird to process and sent me on my way.

In the Deutsches Museum in Munich you can see a somewhat similar folding kayak made by the German company Klepper. It was used by a German to cross the Atlantic solo in 1956. It took him 72 days. Klepper is still in business.

For the lake we have two kayaks, a canoe, a Sunfish sailboat, and my SUP. The canoe is used mostly for fishing or when we have guests who don’t want to kayak. The others get used depending on weather/wind/desired exercise level.

For whitewater, I have my kayak (Liquid Logic Remix 59). Our son in law stores his shredder (two-person inflatable catamaran-ish raft) at our house so we also have that available

We’ve done rental canoes, kayaks and SUPs on rivers and inland lakes occasionally, but we plan to get more serious about kayaking next year because we’re phasing out of our previous water activity passion...

...owned 5 sailboats over the last 30 years, sailed most Sat & Sunday’s May thru Oct. Learned to sail age 19 on Canyon Lake TX and still doing it 45 yrs later, though on OPB (other people’s boats) starting this year. Home waters for us have been Tampa Bay, Lake Michigan and Lake Erie. I’ve also sailed many times on the Atlantic from Gloucester MA to Sag Harbor NY and many places in between, most often Mystic CT, Block Island and Newport RI. Have done some sailing in San Diego. Longest trips included:
  • Gloucester MA to Mystic CT on a 61 foot schooner, sailing during the day only, 4 days IIRC stopping in Provincetown, Newport, and Block Island.
  • Sail raced nonstop 333 statute miles from Chicago IL to Mackinac Island MI 8 times, elapsed times ranged from 41 to 69 hours on boats from 29’ to 40’ with crews of 6-10.
  • Sail raced nonstop 568 statute miles from Chicago IL to Port Huron OH, elapsed time of 89 hours on a 33’ boat with a crew of 6.

Last edited:
DW is way into SUPing - mostly in various lakes, though a bit in oceans when it's calm. I paddle with her sometimes, but am not nearly as competent. I personally enjoy kayaking more and she and I often do this when traveling. Sea kayaking in Australia, New Zealand and Belize have been some of our favorites. We too have also enjoyed canoeing around various lakes in the Adirondacks, but in this as well our favorite was probably a multi-day trip down the Ord River in NW Australia.

My watercraft were a fleet of windsurfers. Just out and back on lakes, rivers, oceans (although that term doesn't capture the excitement of 20 MPH winds). They were a lot of fun for about 20 years after which I dropped the sport. Now it's bikes.

My father and grandfather built my brother and me a 12ft. sailboat when we were kids. We sailed that thing for years until it got so waterlogged it wouldn't move.

I used to do a lot of trips to the Minnesota/Canada Boundary Waters for some great canoeing.

Now I have two Old Town kayaks--one in Illinois and one in Florida. Mostly lakes and Intercoastal paddling.

I live at the end of the road in Northeast MN, right at the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area. The canoe capital of the world.

I get to go out with some world class canoe paddlers. (I'm not one myself)

We have a great time doing day trips, and I hear about their extended trips across the Quetico wilderness from their competitive canoe racing days back in the 1970's. They also talk about extended trips of 70-80 days across Canada.

My favorite watercraft is my Perception Swifty 9' Kayak. I took my daughter on a float trip down a local stream last weekend, beautiful fall colors.

You can't beat the quiet of a small watercraft, it's also a blast to catch fish from one.

Over the years, and currently(*):

Canoe*
Kayaks*
SUPs*
Sunfish*
Trac 14*
O'Day Daysailor
Lightning

DS and I took a 7 day, 110 mile canoe trip in the Canadian bush north of Ottawa a number of years ago... with a group of about 20 youth and adults... we had a blast.

Last edited:
Learned to sail age 19 on Canyon Lake TX

I'm headed out to Canyon Lake in about 10 minutes. I sail there several times a week on my beloved Capri 18. I have it in a slip, and use a trolling motor to back it out. I NEVER thought I would own a boat, but got involved with women's sailing classes after I retired and now its my happy place. Well and playing ukulele, does it get any better:dance:

There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

One canoe for DW and me, plus our oldest daughter stores her kayak at our lake house.

Motor, sail or paddle, it doesn't matter. I just love being on the water.

I live at the end of the road in Northeast MN, right at the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area. The canoe capital of the world.

Every summer we rent a place in NE MN and go canoeing in and near the Boundary Waters. The first time we ever went canoeing we used an aluminum canoe and we were miserable (the wind picked up considerably and it was hard work just moving). After that, we switched to a kevlar canoe and had a blast. I couldn't believe how easy and relaxing it was. It's beautiful country up there.

We have an 18 foot We-no-nah canoe in Kevlar. That has turned out to be a very worthwhile splurge as it is so light to handle and is such a delight to paddle. We also have some older Old Town leisure kayaks that can be slammed around and skidded over rocks that are a lot of fun. Those kayaks get heavier every year, though.

Interesting you should bring up this topic, we just got back home from kayaking this morning on a mountain lake here in Linville, NC. We kayak about once a week in our tandem Wilderness Systems kayak. We love the scenery, wildlife and exercise. We have had the kayak about 30 years and we have used it all over the U.S. and Canada. The kayak is pretty beat up but it does not leak and we love it. We think it is a good test of our marriage that we can use a tandem kayak. One advantage of a tandem is that you can go so much faster than a solo kayak. When we go kayaking with solo kayaks we leave them in our wake!

We have had many sailboats and power boats but the kayak is our only watercraft now. Until last summer we had a 30 foot Ranger Tug in Southport, NC. We loved the tug but it was a very expensive hobby. When we watched the eye of hurricane Florence barrel toward Southport where we use to keep the Ranger Tug we were glad we sold it last year!

26 Sailboat. Took my 3yr old son to Mackinac Island over a holiday this year. Was a great time. Sail the Missisippi and St. Croix as well as many of our 10,000+ lakes. Usually take DF with since he's the captain but doesn't move like he used to. I run the sails up handle the dock work etc. Tiller, fun and manual!

Wow... How great to hear so many wonderful stories...
My experience goes back 75 years, when I first learned how to "row" at YMCA Camp Westwood in Rhode Island...

Many, many boats since then owned, sailed and raced, but my current "bob's marina" at Woodhaven Lakes, holds my 1963 Sears aluminum sailing canoe, a 1968 Aqua Cyle dual pontoon paddleboat, and a 1972 Sears, Ted Williams semi fiberglas 12' Gamefisher.

Best time was from 1967 to 1976, when we lived in Saratoga Springs, New York. Years of canoeing the Adirondaks with my sons and jeanie, and every summer, a three to 7 day trip from Old Forge through the Chain of Lakes, and sometimes all the way to Tupper Lake, with my Boy Scout Troop 1 of 14 scouts... carrying food and gear all the way through the fords and the length of Raquette Lake. Unforgettable.

Another time, with another dad, I shepherded our church group of teenagers, six guys and six girls, through the Boundary Waters on a five day canoeing adventure. Another time, with my son, same lakes, on three very northwindy days. :(

Can't even begin to name the boats I've owned... kayaks, Sailfish... (yeah when they were new, before the Sunfish was created)... and then my own wooden Sunfish. (besides all of the power boats, which we won't mention here.) :whistle::

Spent many summers, 1950 through the 1980's on Narragansett Bay, in all kinds of boats... Blackstone River to Newport.

In college '54 -"58 I was on the sailing team... M.I.T. Tech Dinghys. (Polar Bear Sailing).. and besides that, late Fall and early Spring, raced my roomate's Lightning on Casco Bay from Mere Point to Popham Beach.

In between times, always lived near or on water... Vineyard Haven and Falmouth, Mass., Leesburg Fl, Harris Chain of Lakes, Newfound lake, New Hampshire, Greenfield Mass, on the Connecticut River.

Getting a little too old to do this kind of stuff anymore. But such nice memories.

It's very exciting to see so many kindred spirits... a special kind of "sport" that too many seniors have never experienced.

Thanks for sharing!!!!
bob

Don't live on or near a lake so find an inflatable kayak fits my needs the best. Fits in a duffel bag and easy enough to take on any road trip, takes ~20 mins. to setup.

We live on a lake, and I kayak quite a bit. About an hour, 2 or 3 times a week. I sometimes bring my camera with a telephoto lens and take photos of birds, turtles and whatever else pops up. The kayak sits on my dock - all I need to do is push it off the dock into the lake and I’m gone. Thinking about fishing from it.

We've been regular sea kayakers for over a decade. Owned 6 kayaks in that timeframe, but have cut back to 3.

The basic of sea kayaking are the same as in casual recreation boating, but we regularly paddle the Great Lakes. Sea kayaks are typically longer and faster than recreational boats, and it takes some practice to stay upright and maintain steering control. Sea kayaks are a blast once you get some seat time. After over 10 years, I'm still learning how to better drive my boat. It's sport that rewards long term dedication, but is still easy and fun enough on the first day.

One of the most amazing I've ever done was to approach Sleeping Bear dunes by kayak on Lake Michigan. The dunes tower 300 feet over the lake. Dune hikers appear like slow moving ants laboring around. The wine tasting and food in nearby Traverse City is pretty good too!

We’ve done rental canoes, kayaks and SUPs on rivers and inland lakes occasionally, but we plan to get more serious about kayaking next year because we’re phasing out of our previous water activity passion...

Pretty impressive sailing. Used to play around on Lasers and 420 sailboats years ago. Would enjoy getting back into it, but DW is disinterested.

Just curious, why are you getting out of sailing? What about going back to small stuff like Sunfish? We know lots of folks and kayak and sail small boats.

Went down the Merced river (which was class 4) in a rubber raft as a Company "bonding" experiance with wives. 2 day trip with a sleepless overnight and a cookout.

Once was enough.

Back
Top Bottom