We are OLED Converts.... Are You!

I lied.

We are converts. So much so that we spent $10K.

Living Room in October 2020

New = LG OLEDCXPUA 55-inch TV + Sonos Arc soundbar + tax/installation $2800.
Blacks are deep. Viewing angle is very good. Excellent crisp picture.
Arc’s sound is awesome. The self-calibration feature makes it easy to set up.

This article—https://www.macobserver.com/reviews/quick-look/lg-oled-tv-with-apple-tv-plus/ convinced me to pull the trigger

Old = Panasonic TC-PC50S60 Plasma 50-inch TV

The old TV went to our neighbors to replace their 11-year-old Sony KDL-32EX400 32-inch LCD TV.

Basement in January 2021

New LG OLED77CXPUA + Yamaha RX-A2A receiver + KEF T301 speakers + upgrading in-ceiling speakers to KEFs + Logitech Harmony remote + tax/installation $7600
Whoah!
Huge viewing area with awesome sound volume and clarity.

Old = Panasonic TC-PC50S60 Plasma 50-inch TV which went to the master bedroom and the old 46-inch plasma was free-cycled (on NextDoor in 13 minutes).

The article that got us to buy was https://www.macobserver.com/reviews/quick-look/lg-oled-tv-with-apple-tv-plus/

I like your style. I am a FAT FIRE with 11 TV's in my house and appreciate the sounds and video options out today. I am a fan of OLED and Sono's. I find they all get cheaper year after year. It is actually exciting to see all the new bells and whistles that are available. My last purchase was a FRAME TV. The DW like the option to display art verses Fox news!

Costco dropped the price of the LG CX 77 inch OLED TV to $3249.99 starting today. That’s $200 less than I paid for it a couple of months ago.

BuyDig dropped the price on the 77" LG OLED TV to $3296.99 PLUS, when you put the TV in your cart, they add a $300 VISA gift card and a 1 Year extension to the warranty.

Here's the link;
https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/LGOLED77CXPUA/LG-OLED77CXPUA-77-CX-4K-Smart-OLED-TV-w-AI-ThinQ-2020?sdtid=14766955&omid=200&ref=cj&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_content=4485850&cjevent=2901774a58e611eb81df02310a1c0e0c

HOWEVER, the new models are coming out now that CES show has just ended, it's expected these older models will have price reductions very soon. May pay to wait another month or two. Either the price will drop or they sell out, so there is some risk.

Also, if you ever served in the military, you can now shop AAFES. They list the 77" model for $2999 with no tax and free shipping. However, currently sold out as of 4 days ago. Hoping they get them back in stock as I will buy it at this price!

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/lg-65-in-cx-oled-4k-hdr-smart-tv-with-ai-thinq-oled77cxpua/2326192

Last edited:
Local Costcos don't have stock of OLED product which is amazing. Everyone has upped their game apparently. Even Costco.ca online has very little in the way of LG product although there are still some Sony models. Even a couple of the Samsung QLED models are sold out. Waiting for new models I guess.

I upgraded my mom to a 55' LG C8 that I got on Kijiji (eBay Classifieds) for $800. Manufacture date was May 2019 and was in perfect shape physically and picture. She was amazed at the picture even though about as far from a videophile as one can get.

Here are the new models of OLED and Micro LED TVs from CES 2021. We have two OLED TVs and 9 LCD TVs. At some point we will be upgrading some of our older LCD TVs.

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-tvs-ces-2021#samsung-qn900a-neo-qled-8k-tv-4
Thanks for that link. I wanted to know what Sony was planning for their 2021 A9 series, and now I do! Unfortunately, they've changed the stand design from the pedestal style in the current model, to using widely spaced legs for 2021 and that won't work with my TV stand :( Nuts. I may go with the current A9G if I can get it for a really good price. Hoping to see some sales for the super bowl.

Thanks for that link. I wanted to know what Sony was planning for their 2021 A9 series, and now I do! Unfortunately, they've changed the stand design from the pedestal style in the current model, to using widely spaced legs for 2021 and that won't work with my TV stand :( Nuts. I may go with the current A9G if I can get it for a really good price. Hoping to see some sales for the super bowl.

The LG TVs have stands with widely spaced legs as well. I needed a stand that could raise the TV a few inches to clear my sound bar, as well as swivel depending on who was watching. I purchased this stand and it worked out well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CORQRX0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The LG TVs have stands with widely spaced legs as well. I needed a stand that could raise the TV a few inches to clear my sound bar, as well as swivel depending on who was watching. I purchased this stand and it worked out well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CORQRX0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am kind of committed to my current TV stand. It matches my stereo rack and it has a sturdy shelf just below the top that holds my center channel speaker (not a sound bar.) I looked into replacing both pieces with something new, which would allow me to get a bigger TV!, but sadly I didn't find anything affordable that met my needs. At this point I'm pretty much set on getting a 55" OLED that will fit my existing setup. The Sony A9G (2019 model) or the LG BX both work, while the LG CX would also fit, but extend over the edges of my 24" wide stand although I think it would be stable. Still not 100% sure on which one I'll choose.

Just bumping this thread with a question.

We're considering a new TV in the next year or so. I've currently got a 55" LCD tv, and I've recently tried watching a few shows that I just can't see what's going on. It seems that some shows (CW DC superhero shows in particular) use darkness as a replacement for choreographing fight scenes. And there are other examples. I can't see what's going on in these scenes, either on the LCD or on my 45" plasma.

I've read a bit about the incredible blacks of an OLED tv. My question is, are they good enough to make this type of show make sense, or is the filming of the scene so intentionally unseeable that it won't make any difference what type of tv you have?

Just bumping this thread with a question.

We're considering a new TV in the next year or so. I've currently got a 55" LCD tv, and I've recently tried watching a few shows that I just can't see what's going on. It seems that some shows (CW DC superhero shows in particular) use darkness as a replacement for choreographing fight scenes. And there are other examples. I can't see what's going on in these scenes, either on the LCD or on my 45" plasma.

I've read a bit about the incredible blacks of an OLED tv. My question is, are they good enough to make this type of show make sense, or is the filming of the scene so intentionally unseeable that it won't make any difference what type of tv you have?

I don’t think so. On an LCD TV dark scenes will have some noise artifacts in them where an OLED will be pure black. But if you can’t see the scene at all it won’t make a difference. The scene will just show up as pure black rather than noisy black.

We had a plasma for 8 years, and loved the picture. It went out last month, and we got an OLED. The picture is stunning. Get it.

I’ve been thinking about buying an OLED TV, but I watched a YT video yesterday (link below) that suggested waiting for miniLED (starting to hit the market now), and microLED (several years away for affordable models). Brighter than OLED, cheaper, no burn in (though evidently burn in is very low risk with OLEDs) and much better contrast/color than standard LCD/LED. So I guess I’ll wait...

And I continue to believe most people can’t tell any difference when they don’t have another TV in side by side comparison, it’s pretty obvious then. So I suspect if I bought an OLED TV the difference would be subtle or absent in my home.

https://youtu.be/ADvKNDASm_g

Also found this summary
The bottom line

If you have a room that is bathed in light, your best bet is the largest QLED mini-LED TV the room can accommodate and you can afford.

If you have a room in which you can control the light, an OLED TV is the best TV you can buy – until, at least, we have more hands-on experience with microLED TVs.

Last edited:
When I was younger I always put off purchases to wait for something better, even if it was several years away. But now at my age that no longer works for me. I only have so many years left and I don’t want to spend them waiting around for something better to eventually come out.

We have two OLEDs and one LCD in the house and we notice a huge difference.

Still using a 15 year old Sony LCD TV, 40". Thinking about getting about a 55" set to replace it.

That one cost $800 at the time, was thinking of spending about that on its replacement. Consensus here seems to be to blow an extra $500-$800 of that dough and buy an OLED TV.

The new LG line of OLED TVs (C1) was recently announced, which means they will be selling off remaining inventory of the CX models. I would expect to see Costco offering gift cards for several hundred dollars on remaining inventory any time now. So I would keep watching for the clearance sales and be ready to buy quickly because they sell out almost immediately once Costco either lowers the price or throws in a gift card.

Just picked up an LG CX 55 OLED last week, from best buy, had them install it even though I installed our previous Sony LED some years back. Remarkable picture, I like it but would probably have pased on the expense but DW LOVES it so definitly worth it. Also worth it in our case was the BB install as we have an installed Sonos system and it took a second support visit to get things sorted out. So many settings and ways of doing things, can use Apple airplay from desktop, laptop, ipad or iPhone, also can hook up mobile units by cable adaptor. While the LG has the best sound I have ever heard come out of a TV it still can't touch the Sonos system, together, well it may save the cost of having to visit Paris, its so realistic. Biggest surprise is that youtubes look so good, I thought that more resolution would be a negative for youtube but it looks really good.

Picked up a new, in-the-box LG OLED 77" CX for $2500 from Videos Only. They are a West Coast chain. Barely fit in the Subaru Ascent;

ACtC-3cdOVL94dnJ79OqlitAi-oE4hpbM9uPT18wj8DLjjBAU22SgSIwSw-gRovOrgS0uHOYKyu1w4Nf6F3FoFPHq8_3hu9vBCr_LH0s6wfH2aHams-qpn4tPBioekd90KkCrqIUc6NBfTX3sqbQAI0jvCyO=w974-h730-no

Great quality viewing image for the newer 4K imaging programs. Our seating is 10' back from the screen and perfect distance for viewing. Been playing with settings and it just keeps getting better and better.

Last edited:
I'm still rocking a Panasonic Plasma from 2009, which still has an outstanding image.

We had a Panasonic plasma as well that we loved. Had to get rid of it a few years ago. It developed some kind of weird blue image on the edge of one lower corner of the screen and the same image in red in the edge of the opposite upper corner of the screen. Upgraded to a 4K Samsung when we dumped the Panasonic. It’s been great so far...

I have a 77" OLED C8. I love it. But I'll never buy another one. I'm always worried about burn in ruining what was a $5k purchase. Samsung offers a 10 year no burn in guarantee and that's what I'll get next time.

Picked up a new, in-the-box LG OLED 77" CX for $2500 from Videos Only. They are a West Coast chain. Barely fit in the Subaru Ascent;

ACtC-3cdOVL94dnJ79OqlitAi-oE4hpbM9uPT18wj8DLjjBAU22SgSIwSw-gRovOrgS0uHOYKyu1w4Nf6F3FoFPHq8_3hu9vBCr_LH0s6wfH2aHams-qpn4tPBioekd90KkCrqIUc6NBfTX3sqbQAI0jvCyO=w974-h730-no

Great quality viewing image for the newer 4K imaging programs. Our seating is 10' back from the screen and perfect distance for viewing. Been playing with settings and it just keeps getting better and better.
We’ve been ogling that 77” every time we go into Costco. It’s gorgeous! We have the 65” which is displayed above it.

You got a fantastic price! I think it’s around $3250 at Costco.

As it turns out, your solution also worked for me, so thanks. Once I figured that out it meant that I could buy pretty much any TV and use one of those table top stands to make it work with my existing setup. I purchased a Sony 65" A8H (OLED) last week. I had waited for the 2021s to hit the stores, but the new Sony Masters series is over $3k, and Sony had the A8H on sale for $1999 last week so I decided that was the right TV at the right price for me. Best Buy delivered it for free and I paid them $30 to haul away a 32" tube TV from the basement.

I have a 77" OLED C8. I love it. But I'll never buy another one. I'm always worried about burn in ruining what was a $5k purchase. Samsung offers a 10 year no burn in guarantee and that's what I'll get next time.

Might want to wait until Samsung comes down off its high horse & adds support for Dolby Vision, since that is what content producers are choosing over Samsung's (competing) HDR10+.

Old thread but....

We finally ordered the 77" LG OLED TV we've been lusting after for a couple of years. The prices have really come down, and the new C2 version is quite a bit lighter even than our existing 65" LG OLED TV.

Yes, we are replacing our 65" OLED with the 77". The 65" is being relocated to another room, and that TV to the bedroom. It's going to be the big house TV shuffle.

old thread but....

We finally ordered the 77" lg oled tv we've been lusting after for a couple of years. The prices have really come down, and the new c2 version is quite a bit lighter even than our existing 65" lg oled tv.

Yes, we are replacing our 65" oled with the 77". The 65" is being relocated to another room, and that tv to the bedroom. It's going to be the big house tv shuffle.

Love it!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom