Went to a movie

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For the first time in many years. There is a local Celebrity Theater a couple blocks from our condo. Matinees are $5.00 during the week. There are 10 auditoriums, nice recliners with table trays, and plenty of room between rows to recline and someone walk past you. Huge popcorn and large drink was $15.00
We'll probably go back whenever there is something we want to see.
Oh yeah, we saw "The Shift". Pretty good faith based sci-fi show.

I watched the trailer, it looks like an interesting movie. Matinee is the only way to go with that 5 buck price tag.

VW

I really can't remember the last time I when to a movie theater (indoor or outdoor). The last movie I can remember seeing at a theater was the Karate Kid (mid 80's). I probably have gone to see something else since then but I can't recall when or what. Certainly not in the last 20 years.

About once or twice a year we end up going to the theater. With the reclining seats and matinee prices, it’s a nice little outing. The best part is when you can go during retiree hours, there’s hardly anyone else in the theater. When a good movie comes out, I give it about a week to let the buzz die down and we’re off to a cheap date.

There were only 3 other people in the theater with us, evenly spaced out. Though one guy picked our row but sat a few seats away from us. But he had to walk past us twice during the movie. Started to tell him there was an exit closer on the other side. But that's a peeve for another day.
Now to figure out what snacks to sneak in next time.

You are not going to get me inside a movie theater again.

The last time we went was early 2000s. It was so loud we were miserable. Had to rig some earplugs. Plus sticky floor yuck.

We have instead invested in a notch home audio-visual system and our 77” OLED and surround sound, super comfy chairs and snacks from the kitchen plus wine means we never think of going out for such entertainment.

We don’t do date nights out either. We’d just as soon not go out at night anyway. A hike or a daytrip works much better as a “date”.

Last edited:
If you buy a drink/ snack at a theater, you are supporting the theater's overhead. (I used to love the popcorn as a kid, but now that's no longer on my "menu".)

We've been trying to squeeze in a movie, but somehow haven't gotten around to it.

We went regularly to the cinema before the pandemic and now have little desire to start again. A combination of poor upkeep of the facilities, excessive cell phone usage by moviegoers, and worst of all, no compelling films.

Dune Part 2 may temp me back in, although DW said I’ll be going alone.

We went regularly to the cinema before the pandemic and now have little desire to start again. A combination of poor upkeep of the facilities, excessive cell phone usage by moviegoers, and worst of all, no compelling films.

Dune Part 2 may temp me back in, although DW said I’ll be going alone.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

It's been years for us, and now after just recovering from Covid I'm less thrilled about being in a room with an unknown number of people talking,coughing,sneezing, etc..

Still, the thought of theater popcorn is almost magical, but will have to wait to a really compelling movie.

You are not going to get me inside a movie theater again.

+1000 Me either.

The last time we went to the movies, was to see "Ironman" when it first came out back in 2008. The other customers were hideous, loud, and indulged in huge quantities of illegal drugs. The volume of the movie was so loud that it caused severe pain in my ears. This wasn't the first time we had had such a negative experience, but we decided that would be the last time for us.

Watching movies at home, we are much more comfortable and don't have to put up with the low lifes. Show time is whenever we want it to be, and snacks (if wanted) are free.

We had 2 local theaters, damaged and closed after Hurricane Micheal in Oct 2018.
One was repaired and made into a church. The other was demolished and a new building was built, but, construction was started before the pandemic and slowed or stopped during the pandemic, It has only been opened in the last 6 months. It seems busy when I drive by. I have not been there.
The new theater has 2D, 4DX, Closed Caption, RDX Regal Premium Experience and ScreenX, I have no idea what any of those mean :) Ok I understand closed caption.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on movies at home. DW and I are fed up with loud talkers texting during the movie (I think they believe they're watching at home), and the sound level is TOO LOUD as if the theater is trying to drown out the patrons. Not to mention, their's rarely any movie we are interested in.

The last movie we saw was "Charade" with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. On Britbox, of all things. They don't make them like that anymore!

I enjoy the concept of going to the theater especially with the comfy seats. What I don’t enjoy is the reality of going. Too many people using their phones the whole time and at full brightness. Too many people who have no issue talking nonstop the whole time. And too many theaters that set the volume at 150 decibels. I shouldn’t leave with a pounding headache as if I had been at a rock concert in the front row.

I’ll stick to my living room.

My wife loves theatre popcorn, so we go when there's a movie we're interested in seeing. Probably every second or third month, or so. Try to go on Tuesday afternoon for the reduced ticket price. Although, two large popcorn and drinks runs about $29.26. I make her wait for about a week after the movie debuts, and there will usually be from 0 - 5 other people in the theatre with us.

The last movie I saw was Barbie which I enjoyed. I think that was the only movie I have seen in a theater since 2019. I wanted to see Oppenheimer but the idea of sitting through a three hour movie with no breaks does not appeal to me. I will wait until I can watch it home, pause it, stretch a bit, use the facility, get something to drink, and then sit back down and finish the movie.

Last edited:
The last movie we went to was one about time travel that used the "found footage" technique, which presents the film as being recorded on the characters' phones. I think it was "Project Almanac." The framing through the entire film was so unsteady that DH and I both started feeling a little queasy and had to look at the floor a lot. That probably wouldn't have happened had we watched it on a smaller screen.

But we'll probably go see "The Boys in the Boat" at a matinee showing. It opens in theaters on the 25th. It's about the University of Washington's rowing team in the 1930s. DH says the book is excellent. I'm a little disappointed to hear that much of the movie was filmed elsewhere, but I suppose that creating 1930's sets in the waters around the UW would have been difficult. We enjoy kayaking around there and through the iconic Montlake Cut, where races have taken place since the 1960s. It's quite a spectacle with water craft of all sizes cruising around and the youthful vibe that surrounds the campus.

Last movie in a theater for us was top gun 2. my client rented the entire theater for his employees and key contacts. My wife and I had a blast.

He catered in burgers and sandwiches from one of the local joints, open snack bar and we all got a pair of aviators and took photos infront of a cutout of tom cruise. it's was a blast.

that said, I'm like many others who can't tolerate rude people in public settings, so it'll be a long time before I'd go again. Much rather home in recliner with a cocktail or wine, comfortable decibel level and I can pause the movie if I have to pee.

We have not been to a movie theater in years. I can't even remember the last movie I saw, I think it was an IMAX one.
Too loud, both the movie and the patrons.
My brother reminds me to go during senior discount times, he and his wife goes at least 1-2 times a month. There really have not been any movies that made me desire to see in a theater. I can wait until it is streamed and watch from home.

I do miss that theater popcorn though! Even if I make popcorn at home and pop in a little oil, add a bit of butter, with parmesan cheese (which is delicious), it doesn't taste the same. Good thing, though. Too many calories:LOL:

I hadn't been to a movie theater in decades but then started dating a man who was a big movie theater buff. Now I enjoy the Big Screen experience occasionally, especially with the reclining chairs. He occasionally gets popcorn and a drink; I don't because they're WAY overpriced and I don't need the fat, carbs and salt from the popcorn.

Fortunately I've never felt the place was uncomfortably crowded and haven't noticed any particularly obnoxious talkers or cell phone users.

I'm happy that if I ever lose almost all my hearing, I'll be able to enjoy the movie theater again.

Since I've retired, I go to roughly a movie a week at my local AMC. Since I have A-List, it works out to about $5/show including IMAX and Dolby Digital. At one movie a week, the dud ratio is kept at a minimum.

I mostly only go during weekday matinee showings which keeps the audience small and for the most part respectful. Weekend crowds tend to bring out the rude and obnoxious people so I avoid those showings.

Did anyone mention bed bugs?

There's the high prices of the movie, the high prices of popcorn/drinks, you can't pause the movie if you need to take a break, you have to hear and smell other people eating and laughing, the audio is too loud, no chance to rewind/review something, more chances to catch some virus being packed in with other people. I'm really not finding any incentive that would get me inside a movie theater. The last time was 2010.

Last edited:
I'm happy that if I ever lose almost all my hearing, I'll be able to enjoy the movie theater again.
Unless the hearing loss is accompanied by hyperacusis, which can happen to different degrees with hearing loss, and then you may not be able to enjoy it at all.

Last edited:
For the first time in many years. There is a local Celebrity Theater a couple blocks from our condo. Matinees are $5.00 during the week. There are 10 auditoriums, nice recliners with table trays, and plenty of room between rows to recline and someone walk past you. Huge popcorn and large drink was $15.00
We'll probably go back whenever there is something we want to see.

The naysayers should check out the cinema experience nowadays. I hadn't been to a movie since 2017 but I went to "Oppenheimer" in August. I was surprised how much things have changed.

First of all, you can reserve and buy your seats online. Similar to getting seats on an airline you can see which seats are taken and which seats are open, and plan accordingly. You can see how crowded it's going to be before you go.

Secondly, the seats are incredibly comfortable. Faux leather power recliners with cup holders and trays. Gobs of legroom.

Third, you don't have to sneak in stuff to eat. We walked in with bottles of water and pop plainly visible. My wife brought some snacks in her purse but I got the impression they wouldn't have cared if we walked in with a large see-through bag of store bought popcorn.

Oh yeah, we saw "The Shift". Pretty good faith based sci-fi show.

I've seen trailers for that and I'm intrigued. Most faith-based movies, while earnestly produced, are done on the cheap and look it. I get the sense they might have spent some money on this one.

Back
Top Bottom