Went to a movie

Yeah, our main living area IS our theater. It was designed that way - top priority. 77” OLED, 4K streaming, surround sound great audio system. Great place whether just music or video.

Last edited:
When we first moved to Sarasota there was an old, dated movie theater that was $2.50 as I recall. The place was a bit gross but the movies were good.

Best of all, you could buy their metal bucket in January for $20 and get free popcorn all year.

The last movie we saw in a theater was the original black and white King Kong. We aren’t really that old. The theater where we lived would show old and classic movies at times. This was during the early stages of COVID and there were a list of upcoming movies that we were going to see, but we didn’t. Now we look at the matinee price, popcorn snacks and drinks and figure the $5/ticket really ends up a total of about $50 then we will want to go out and eat. So just watch them on the big screen at home, have our own popcorn snacks and drinks and can pause to go to the bathroom.

I appreciate all the people chiming in and saying they prefer to watch movies at home--convenient, inexpensive, easily controlled. That's my usual play as well.

But the title of the thread is "Went to a Movie" not "Watched a Movie at Home."

LOL.

Although I suppose people would post to a thread titled, "Watched a Movie at Home" as well. Such is ER.COM.

How to make movie theatre popcorn at home:

Before beginning, cast aside any preconceived notion of popcorn being a healthy snack.

• Popcorn
  • Coconut oil - the virgin cold-pressed stuff is best and Costco consistently has the best prices on a vat size tub. Most theater popcorn is made with liquid coconut oil which is refined - the unrefined stuff tastes better .
  • Flavocol (Regular salt will do but doesn't have that appealing oh-so-yellow color)

Make popcorn either in the microwave or on the stovetop using enough oil to cover unpopped kernels.

Do not use an air popper. (see beginning premise)

Top the popcorn with Flavocol (Salty yellow powder used in theatres to fancy up popcorn)

Coconut oil (lots of it) is the key ingredient here. Even though flavocol adds flavor, it mostly adds salt.

If you love that butter-y flavor, drizzle melted butter on COOKED kernels.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
The last time we bought popcorn or any snack at a movie theatre was in the 80's...Harrison Ford in Raiders Of The Lost Arc. .

We tried one of those theatres where you can order from a menu and staff will bring your food and drink to your seat. But between the staff taking orders, bringing food, clearing away the plates and then bringing the bill and returning receipts and chanags we could hardly concentrate on the movie. Too much comotion! Never again!!

For us when we go out it'll be to a matinee on Mon, Tue or Wed, no food service, preferably no reserved seating at a movie that's on second run.

What's the best way to melt margarine (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter) for the popcorn without burning it?

What's the best way to melt margarine (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter) for the popcorn without burning it?

Well, if it’s summertime and you’re in Florida just go out for a short walk around the block with your butter in a cup. By the time you get back home it’ll be melted.

Otherwise, use the microwave.

Well, if it’s summertime and you’re in Florida just go out for a short walk around the block with your butter in a cup. By the time you get back home it’ll be melted.

Otherwise, use the microwave.

LOL...i figured the MW. My question was imprecise. How long in the MW at what power setting?

Well, just went to my 3rd movie in 3 days...

Today it had almost 8 people in there, with someone sitting in my seat as it was in a great spot..

LOL...i figured the MW. My question was imprecise. How long in the MW at what power setting?

Full power but just try short time periods at first. Depends on the amount. I generally use a glass measuring cup. Try 10-15 secs, see how it does, it will keep melting. A bit more in short stages if needed.

This is for butter - I don’t touch margarine.

Full power but just try short time periods at first. Depends on the amount. I generally use a glass measuring cup. Try 10-15 secs, see how it does, it will keep melting. A bit more in short stages if needed.

Thanks. I'll play with it.

Our 2 movies for this year 2023 was the "Nun 2" and "Indiana Jones - the latest one" . Yes, our theatre has a great recliner.

I wish we could go more often, but it's more like 2 movies a year after the pandemic.
We have an 85 inch Sony TV we got last year with the latest technology, so this discourages my wife from going to the movies.

Thanks. I'll play with it.

Short bursts are best. Take the container out of the microwave and swirl it in a circular motion to aid in the melting of the butter before nuking it again.

Our microwave has a Melt/Soften butter button that works pretty well, but I end up going manual when I near the end of the process.

One of my favorite popcorn toppings is to take either molasses, or maple syrup, or Steen's pure cane syrup depending on the sweetness I'm craving at the time, add some butter then cook it in the microwave until it is almost a caramel. Drizzle that over popcorn and enjoy.
Gotta be careful that it doesn't boil over in the microwave. I usually start at 3 minutes then 2 then 1 until it's done.

Short bursts are best. Take the container out of the microwave and swirl it in a circular motion to aid in the melting of the butter before nuking it again.

Our microwave has a Melt/Soften butter button that works pretty well, but I end up going manual when I near the end of the process.

Thanks...I hadn't thought of that.

Depends somewhat on the microwave of course, but on ours (I think 1500 watt) I put it on 45% power for two and a half minutes. If I put it on full power some of it starts to boil, and it does so explosively, making a mess. The 45% power keeps that from happening. This is for a full stick of butter. It doesn't seem to matter what brand. I buy the store brand, DW buys Land 'O Lakes. I can't tell the difference once it's out of the package.

How to make movie theatre popcorn at home:

Before beginning, cast aside any preconceived notion of popcorn being a healthy snack.

• Popcorn
  • Coconut oil - the virgin cold-pressed stuff is best and Costco consistently has the best prices on a vat size tub. Most theater popcorn is made with liquid coconut oil which is refined - the unrefined stuff tastes better .
  • Flavocol (Regular salt will do but doesn't have that appealing oh-so-yellow color)

Make popcorn either in the microwave or on the stovetop using enough oil to cover unpopped kernels.

Do not use an air popper. (see beginning premise)

Top the popcorn with Flavocol (Salty yellow powder used in theatres to fancy up popcorn)

Coconut oil (lots of it) is the key ingredient here. Even though flavocol adds flavor, it mostly adds salt.

If you love that butter-y flavor, drizzle melted butter on COOKED kernels.

:popcorn:

I really like movie popcorn but not so much what I make at home. I have tried every method with the exception of one of those dedicated floor standing industrial poppers. Home popcorn and various brands of microwave popcorn just don't even come close. Since I haven't been to a theater in a few years and don't plan anytime soon AND since I quit buying movie popcorn since the days of $.25 a box I will try one more time at home and use some Flavocol. Just placed an order with Amazon. We will see.

I really like movie popcorn but not so much what I make at home. I have tried every method with the exception of one of those dedicated floor standing industrial poppers. Home popcorn and various brands of microwave popcorn just don't even come close. Since I haven't been to a theater in a few years and don't plan anytime soon AND since I quit buying movie popcorn since the days of $.25 a box I will try one more time at home and use some Flavocol. Just placed an order with Amazon. We will see.

We use a whirly pop popcorn maker by wabash. Hand crank and works pretty good. To make life easier we buy their all in one kits as well. A little more expensive but is the right amount for the popcorn maker and don’t have to measure anything. It’s all on Amazon.

We went to a movie today. First movie I've seen in a theater since 2019 at least. We saw Wonka and I have to admit the experience was just fine. We went to a theater that has the power recliners which are very comfortable, unlike a lot of standard movie theaters. Also there is a lot of space between rows so no issues with anyone kicking the back of your seat and nobody having to squeeze past you as they come in and out of the row. The widely spaced rows also prevent any sight line issues from having a tall person in front of you.

My wife is an AMC Stubs member and had a free popcorn for her birthday so we just had to buy a soda (which was over $6). We brought candy from home.

We didn't encounter any issues with people talking or using their phones so that was nice, and again, the spacing of the seats makes that less of a problem because the nearest person is about 8 feet away (in front of or behind you).

All in all, I would definitely do that again at that theater. There are some other theaters near us that I don't like nearly as much but this one was great.

And in case you're wondering, we thought Wonka was wonderful. It totally works as stand alone film but I really loved all of the nods to the 1971 original version which is one of my favorites.

We went to a movie today. First movie I've seen in a theater since 2019 at least. We saw Wonka and I have to admit the experience was just fine. We went to a theater that has the power recliners which are very comfortable, unlike a lot of standard movie theaters. Also there is a lot of space between rows so no issues with anyone kicking the back of your seat and nobody having to squeeze past you as they come in and out of the row. The widely spaced rows also prevent any sight line issues from having a tall person in front of you...

Independent theatre or chain?

Back
Top Bottom