Western Colorado in the Fall

We have never stayed in Leadville, but have driven through there the past 3 winters heading to various ski resorts. Every time we drive through Leadville H says we need to stay there sometime.

Has anybody stayed at the Delaware Hotel in Leadville, CO?

It looks like an old hotel, and I understand it is slowly being renovated. Reviews are mixed. Some people love it, others find the rooms too small, etc. Most reviews seem to be older before the new owners took over.
DW and I stayed there ~4 years ago. It was OK. Lots of old furniture, etc. I also remember lots of stairs (I like to be on top floor) and the bathroom floor was very sloped. I would stay there again. There isn't many nice places to stay in Leadville.

Leadville is a rough town for overnights compared to so many other nicer places in Colorado. If you want to visit and browse around, maybe stay in Buena Vista or Salida south of town or Vail and drive in for the day. At night there are not many good options for food or fun.

Depends what you are looking for. We've stayed in some remote mountain towns for the "experience" and had them. Do you want comfort and an array of restaurant choices? Probably not a town like Leadville.

There are some “remote” mountain towns that blow Leadville away because they offer a combination of nature, unique location, beauty, but still offer good lodging, dining and/or entertainment.
We stayed in Leadville a couple times. It’s kinda dumpy.

Leadville is a rough town for overnights compared to so many other nicer places in Colorado. If you want to visit and browse around, maybe stay in Buena Vista or Salida south of town or Vail and drive in for the day. At night there are not many good options for food or fun.

Thanks for the insight.

Personally, I don't need fancy food for my meals. Pub grub is ok.

I completed my trip to Colorado a few weeks ago. I want to thank all of you for your advice. Western Colorado is somewhat different than I imagined but in a very beautiful way.

Back
Top Bottom