What brand multi-vitamin do you take?

I took a daily multi-vitamin for a few years, then wondered why I was doing it. I'm in good health, have a healthy diet, no medical problems that I'm aware of. I stopped taking the vitamin years ago and still feel fine.

I started watching Dr Sinclair's interview and he mentioned something about vision improvements that caught my attention and led me to consult Dr. Google. There I discovered that some of the researchers posit potential improvements to aging vision from increased NAD+. My interest was spiked by recent vision changes I have experienced but that I hadn't associated with NAD+.

I have used reading glasses since my 40s and have used monovision reading contacts for about 20 years. Over the last year or so (which coincides with my NR supplementation) my vision has changed causing me to first switch the eye I was boosting with a reading contact, then to reduce the power of the contact, and more recently to stop wearing contacts at all. As I type this post at my PC I am not wearing contacts or reading glasses - something I hadn't been able to do for decades. When I discussed the vision changes with my eye doctor at my last visit he noted that sometimes vision does improve with age. But, maybe it's the NAD+. More reason to stick with it.

Last edited:
I currently take Theragran-M (which is now available only in Walgreen's Drugs) upon the advice of my doctor. it does not contain iron, and since i am borderline anemic, I also take an iron pill. My wife also takes Theragran-M, but no iron.

I take Swanson generic where I get quite a few of mine. I gave blood the other day and they test your iron levels before hand (red blood cell production related) and double checked my vitamin when I got home ... *realizing* it didn't contain iron! 8 weeks to recover red blood cells after donation.

I decided to start taking iron and was going to take my DWs but her doctor has her on 65mg. After research that is excessive unless you need it. I found 27mg at my local grocery store as I wanted to start right away. (looking on swanson.com there are a lot of 25 mg options).

Below via: https://livehealthy.chron.com/much-iron-male-need-1822.html (How Much Iron Does a Male Need?)
A man's body needs adequate iron in order for the hemoglobin contained in red blood cells to carry oxygen, for proper immune system function and to produce enzymes, including ones that assist with DNA synthesis and others that act as antioxidants.

Men who don't get enough iron may be more likely to develop anemia and recurrent infections, though it's also dangerous for a man to consume too much iron regularly.

SWU152.jpg
vUMsPAR.jpg

I can't swallow those giant multivitamin pills, even cut into pieces. Is there any multivitamin that comes in small size pills?

I can't swallow those giant multivitamin pills, even cut into pieces. Is there any multivitamin that comes in small size pills?

There are chewable varieties, and not just for children.

Is it something psychological or something else? I had a problem myself when I was younger, and someone told me to look up to swallow hard tablets that sink in water, and put my head down to swallow light capsules that float in water, and that took care of my problem.

Life Extension Two a Day. Lots of junk out there, buyer beware.

I take the generic Equate brand multivitamin from Walmart. It's got exactly the same formulation as Centrum Silver, at about 60% the price.
Me too the Equate Men's 50+ - saves me money, gets me the senior vitamin stuff. Supplement with D3, want good D3 levels with COVID hanging around.

We typically buy the generic brand of all OTC vitamins, etc.

If we are not certain, we simply take the name brand and the generic brand to the pharmacist and ask what the differences are, if any, and what they mean.

I cannot think of one time where we have not selected the generic brand of any
vitamin or OTC when doing this.

We do not even consider vitamin or health products sold through direct channels.

Puritans Pride 50+ Men's & also take Lutein for the eyes......Consider it insurance.

Kirkland Adult Multi, plus 1000mg vitamin C. I try to donate blood every three months, and in June, my hemoglobin was borderline, so I have also been taking a B-complex, a B-12 and an Iron tablet about every other day. On top of that, I’ve been trying to get a steak about every other week or so, plus some other red meat once a week or so. When I donated this month, I was back well within normal again.

I was a regular donor every 8 weeks for 40 years until I was deferred cause of low iron level. Dr put me on iron supplements for 3 months and all came back. But now I am reluctant about giving blood again. 40 years was a lot of pints. Maybe time to let others? or maybe give one more try? It is a very rewarding activity we can do.

A friend talked me into taking Oncoplex, a broccoli seed extract obtained using a patented process to extract glucoraphanin (also known as sulforaphane glucosinolate or “sgs”) from its most concentrated cruciferous source—broccoli seeds. Glucoraphanin is enzymatically converted to the extensively researched isothiocyanate known as sulforaphane (SFN). Research suggests that SFN supports long-lasting antioxidant activity and the production of detoxification enzymes. It also offers anti-inflammatory properties. My friend's doctor recommended this vitamin and said of all the vitamins out there, this one had his highest recommendation. The downside is cost, 120 pills are about $75. I will give them a try.

My doctor told me any multi-vitamin that is only taken once a day isn't worth the effort or expense. He said go to a health food store and find one that is taken 2 or 3 times a day. I have not done that yet. I do take a krill oil, a Flax seed oil and a b12 daily.

Generic 50 + for women or whatever is least expensive.

My doctor told me any multi-vitamin that is only taken once a day isn't worth the effort or expense.

Let's see.

expense: $14.99 Costco Mature Multi for 400 tablets --> less than 4¢ a day

effort: I wash it down with a glass of water before breakfast, so pretty minimal effort

I'll keep it up

Let's see.

expense: $14.99 Costco Mature Multi for 400 tablets --> less than 4¢ a day

effort: I wash it down with a glass of water before breakfast, so pretty minimal effort

I'll keep it up

But is it doing any good?

I take Centrum Silver for Men 50+, vitamin C 1000mg, vitamin D 2000iu, Fish Oil 1200mg twice a day, Zeaxathin + Lutein twice a day on my ophthalmologist's recommendation, and Glucosamine-Chondroitin MSM twice a day.

I've been taking the multi, C, and fish oil for probably around 20 years. I started the glucosamine-chondroitin about 4 years ago in hopes of alleviating arthritic knee pain that I've had since childhood, and it's really helped a lot.

My ophthalmologist suggested last year that I may want to start taking vitamin supplements that 'may' help stave off age-related macular degeneration, though he said there was no guarantee. He sells the supplements, but told me to go online and find them cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks for this thread and Time2 for the Dr Sinclair interview.
Here is a summary of all his supplement thinking: https://fastlifehacks.com/david-sinclair-supplements/

I take gummy multivitamins and Longvida curcumin (hopefully ward off alzheimer's) but am going to try resveratrol and NMN. According to the comments in the above link, he doesn't take those when he exercises. I am trying to exercise at least 5 times a week so wonder about their effectiveness.

Here is Kirkland Signature Adult 50+ (Costco) and Member's Mark Adult 50+ (Sam's Club) ingredients side-by-side.

Both are 400 count.

Kirkland Signature $14.99
Member's Mark $11.28

Kirkland-Signature-Adult.jpg

Members-Mark-Adult-50+.jpg

For comparison's sake, here is the Member's Mark Men's 50+ back panel. Available at Amazon, 400 count, $14.99. Looks like you get an extra shot of Vitamin A, C, D, and E with Member's Mark Men's.

Members-Mark-Men's-50+.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be the first to admit my diet is not optimal (lots of meat and not enuf fruits and veggies), so I do supplement with Nature's Way Alive Max3. It's a 3/day pill that I only take one/day since the daily dose is way over the RDA of most vitamins/minerals. I also take the Costco Calcium/Magnesium/D3 pills (2/day). Been doing this regimen for 5 years and it seems to work.

81i4%2BtbVm%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

16.jpg

Back
Top Bottom