What Demographic do You and Your Friends Fall into?

Mostly middle aged and older White Males.

I don't think much about what class. Working to Managerial I guess. Though I've recently graduated to the Investor Class.

I've got DW. The rest seem to be mainly cops, programmers, docs and teachers.

My friends are:

Larry and his brother Daryl and his other brother Daryl.
At least that's how I see them.

All of you here at ER.org are my closest friends, of course!

I was an electronic technician, who became a Mr Mom, who now runs a small software business.

These days I only have one true friend. She married me 33 years ago and I take full advantage of the benefits. :) Thankfully her vision isn't as good as it used to be.

All of my old friends are busy living their lives, and we haven't had contact in years. One is a farmer, one works at a brewpub, one builds houses, and one still fixes appliances. As far as I know, none of my old friends have retired yet.

Other than my wife, the closest thing to a friend would be her family, and let's just say you can't choose family. But, I have to have someone to link to on Facebook.

I feel like this thread is another way of saying "what is your income... here's mine? Or "what is your net worth... here's mine?" Or whatever similar. The bottom line is wealthy people, by and large, tend to hang out with wealthy people, middle class people hang with... middle class people and poor people with poor people. Yes, there are exceptions but generally speaking it's pretty safe to say that these guidelines apply. I recently talked to an old friend who told me how three of his neighbors are doctors to which I deduced he's doing well. Good for him!

Pleasantly reading along then came to this and became somewhat dumbfounded. I've very much always preferred to be alone, besides DW, DD and an awesome GB, I spend all day with two fine saddle mules. Does it make me an ass if I hang out with half-asses all day?

Looking at your lists, I don't see any librarians. This confirms my suspicion that we librarians are only friends with each other (perhaps it's the net effect of being a sympathetic ear to "the public" all day).

... The bottom line is wealthy people, by and large, tend to hang out with wealthy people, middle class people hang with... middle class people and poor people with poor people...

Do introverts hang out with introverts? :)

I retired 10 years ago at 45. My “regular friends” are mostly professional though I have one assembly line buddy. All are still working.
I have a separate group of golfing friends that are all retired. Had one of my golfing friends meet up with me and my GF of 13 years a week ago at a bar for some drinks.
Her response was, “I like your friend, he is the first friend of yours I met that isnt dumb.”

Ph.D. in engineering, wife has Masters in engineering.

Maybe one or two of our friends are also engineers, but most come from my Rotary club, or our martial arts dojos.

I was a bean counter. Several in my golf group I have no idea what they did for a living. Some friends outside of golf still work. A few in my golf group worked as an insurance agent, doctor, lawyer, clothing store manager, power company tech, military, high school teacher, office supply salesman and car salesman.

Mostly medical and law enforcement fields, as that is what my and DH jobs were, with
a few teachers, fire fighters, arborists, former military folks sprinkled about.

I live in Portland, OR and have a lot of high friends in places. :LOL:

Hermits are not supposed to have friends anyway... (Sorry about being so late to this thread. I was out sking with ... friends. :) )

Me -and DW 54 and recently FI but working till 55.Me - Van bus driver for school kids PT 30-40 hrs wk
DW - Car salesperson FT

Friends (outside the motorcycle group) - all still working and under 60. Very few planned for RE and likely will not be able to RE.

Publishing
Condo maintenance manager
Truck driver
Accountant
Cop
Teacher
Store clerk
Store manager
Engineer
HR rep

Friends (motorcycle group)
50 % retired and 60+
The rest - don’t know what they do; doesn’t come up in conversation

My DW of 31 years (also best friend), is a project manager for a very busy home builder (30+ houses a year), and needs to set up most of the site work, and make any CAD changes to the prints.

I am an auto parts manufacturer prototype engineer, and work solo out of my machine shop.

We have a few close friends, two are married(high end carpenter/social worker) that we often go camping, and out to dinner with. I have one good friend who is an self employed, entrepreneur with many business ventures. We have a few friends that are work related, but we don't get out often.

See my signature line.

DW and I both grew up in economically disadvantaged situations in inner city Chicago and attended Chicago Pubic Schools (and have lived to tell the tale). I did mostly factory work all my life, much on night shift. Sometimes union, sometimes not. DW worked on an assembly line and later was a school teacher. Our friends have callused hands and kind hearts.

Oh how I love this!

I feel like this thread is another way of saying "what is your income... here's mine? Or "what is your net worth... here's mine?" Or whatever similar. The bottom line is wealthy people, by and large, tend to hang out with wealthy people, middle class people hang with... middle class people and poor people with poor people. Yes, there are exceptions but generally speaking it's pretty safe to say that these guidelines apply. I recently talked to an old friend who told me how three of his neighbors are doctors to which I deduced he's doing well. Good for him!
That sure could be the norm but some of my very close friends I would consider poor or well below middle class wealth. I find these close friends my real true friends because of their loyalty to what ever they do in life. I have friends that are wealthy and I try not to hang with them that much because they aren't me. I do know many millionaires and they act like it so I rather have my poor friends any day.
I'm very glad they treat me as one of the poor people and I'm so thankful they don't know my financial status. That all might change how they look at me as a friend.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom