What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Thursday, they forecasted 5 to 10" of snow for the Denver area. It turned out to be not as bad. The temperature turned out fairly close to the forecast, however. We woke up this morning with the following scenery of the nice municipal RV park. All that snow melted later in the day.

That's quite a contrast compared to the view we had from a condo up in Montana 2 weeks ago.

The forecast weather up in Vail was also revised to be much better. The low temperature will go up above freezing early next week, and with no precipitation. So, we will hang out another day or two, then drive the motorhome from Denver to the rented timeshare condo on Monday or Tuesday. The 1-week stay will not be a total loss after all, and we lose only 2 or 3 days.

I hope its better farther north. It has been snowing for the last four days. I drove home from Colorado Springs last night and it was a very slow trip with ice on the roads. It is 23 degrees and still snowing this morning so I decided to skip the trip back into town for church this morning. I don't think I could make it in time with the current road conditions.

Went to see Jungle Book yesterday. Pretty good animation and special effects.

DD1 and I ran the Broad Street Run in Philadelphia. It was cold and raining, and any sensible person would've opted to not start. But she shamed me into running, and I'm glad I did. I was four minutes slower than my 10-mile PR, but I set a personal course record. I have a feeling my PR days are behind me, but I still (usually) enjoy running.

Saw "Jungle Book" this morning, then went to restaurant for lunch.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Ran 8 miles with DW on her bike on our 34th anniversary. Then built another workbench for my workshop to store more tools.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We went to a May Day celebration with Morris Dancers at the U.C. Berkeley Botanical Gardens. Later on we took the dog for a walk on a view trail.

Watched DW complete her first marathon yesterday. Five years ago she was a complete couch potato, so it was doubly impressive. Just shows that if you can get yourself motivated, you can accomplish almost anything.

Celebrating three wonderful years of Freedom!:)

It was cold (17) but clear this morning. First day with blue skies for about 5 days. I'm out to do some plowing this morning and then in to town to run errands.

Celebrating three wonderful years of Freedom!:)

Awesome! :dance::dance: My third year will be coming up at the end of June. I will also be at my FRA and the time I always thought I would retire. Love the RE!

Congrats to you both! :clap:

I will be starting my third year this June. It's been wonderful so far but, it doesn't seem like it's been that long since I worked full time. :ermm::whistle:

Congrats to you both! :clap:

Ditto, congratulations to Hermit and MRG! :clap:

I will be starting my third year this June. It's been wonderful so far but, it doesn't seem like it's been that long since I worked full time. :ermm::whistle:
Congrats on your 2-year retirement anniversary in June. :clap:
I think it took me about that long after retirement just to decompress and de-stress. You have LOTS more fun ahead of you. :D

I'm in my 7th year and by now, I just feel like work was a trap, for me anyway. I am glad I escaped it when I did. It has been great catching up on all the leisure time activities that wished I had time for, back when I was working. Little did I suspect that when I found my true niche in life, it would turn out to be retirement.

Watched DW complete her first marathon yesterday. Five years ago she was a complete couch potato, so it was doubly impressive. Just shows that if you can get yourself motivated, you can accomplish almost anything.

That's amazing--congrats to her. I'm thinking she preserved her joints during the couch potato years so she can enjoy them now :).

That's amazing--congrats to her. I'm thinking she preserved her joints during the couch potato years so she can enjoy them now :).

Actually she has arthritis practically everywhere, but is very [-]stubborn[/-] determined. ;)

Kudos to her. I also didn't start running until later in life (four years ago at age 47) so I can appreciate the challenge. Slower paces, longer recovery times, trying to build your body up while Father Time is working in the other direction...it's not easy.

Tell her that I am more impressed with her commitment to marathon *training* than her finish (although that is certainly impressive). I got beaten down while training for the HMs I ran; training for a full sounds brutal.

Went for a short 5k run, then walked the dogs 2 miles to cool down. Yesterday we moved DD and SIL from Utah where he got his masters in communications degree and in a few minutes will return the Uhaul trailer. Mixed up some teriyaki sauce to marinade tonight's teriyaki chicken dinner. After returning the Uhaul, we might start marking out and measuring for the new pool fence, since we tore the old one out last year to build the poolhouse. I got part of it done before the rains started in the winter, and now it needs to be completed within the next few weeks before pool season starts.

I also didn't start running until later in life (four years ago at age 47) so I can appreciate the challenge. Slower paces, longer recovery times, trying to build your body up while Father Time is working in the other direction...it's not easy.

I can assure you that we don't care about time -- only about finishing.

I did my first marathon at 58, then did two more before cutting back to only halfs. DW just did her first marathon at 68, so she gets way more credit for it.

Now the funny part is that she wants to do another one, next time with me. I seriously doubt I could handle it now, but I might consider doing a half while she does the full.

Congrats to her. That is quite an accomplishment. :dance:

My long distance running days were over 7 years ago when I needed a new hip. Guess I ran too much at a much earlier age.

I can assure you that we don't care about time -- only about finishing.

I did my first marathon at 58, then did two more before cutting back to only halfs. DW just did her first marathon at 68, so she gets way more credit for it.

Now the funny part is that she wants to do another one, next time with me. I seriously doubt I could handle it now, but I might consider doing a half while she does the full.

Wow ! Congratulations to your DW !

DW is off with her sister babysitting the two grandnephews so I have the house to myself. The sun is warming the house to a comfortable level that DW would find too hot so I'll leave it there until she gets back. Still doing my daily walks and only 3 weeks until I can go back to the gym.

Neither of us have ever run any marathon, or even a 5K. Our knees and hips will last the rest of our life. :angel:

Neither of us have ever run any marathon, or even a 5K. Our knees and hips will last the rest of our life. :angel:

Don't bet on that. BIL never ran for exercise or in any competition. Both his knees have been replaced. DW is "looking" at one at the moment. They just wear out or give it up. :(

Don't bet on that. BIL never ran for exercise or in any competition. Both his knees have been replaced. DW is "looking" at one at the moment. They just wear out or give it up. :(

A good friend had both knees replaced in his early 50s. He was a UPS driver and the constant up and down steps (in and out of the truck) did his knees in.

I had more knee pain before I started running. I was barely (by four pounds) overweight, but I'm 10-15 pounds lighter now. Whether it's due to weight loss or increased fitness, I feel much better than I did before I started running.

Congrats to your DW! First marathon at 68 is very impressive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom