What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second!

Oh, I guess I need to say what I did today.

Baby sat the grandgirls, had a blast. DW bought these little round dollys at Lidl for $9.99. Not much use for moving furniture, but excellent for little kids to shoot around on the basement floor on. They went home around 9, so we had a quiet evening. Had a hard time finding a ball drop since we only have a Roku stick and no access to local channels, but found something on CBS All Access just in time. A little champagne, a nice kiss, and off to bed. Old folks New Years.

Last edited:
DW and I up early to get the dogs fed and walked and then we are attending a first day hike at the nearby national park. Weather will 40-50F and clear, so perfect for hiking.

DH and I have a long drive home ahead of us: Knoxville to St Louis. We’ve been visiting family since December 23rd. We have an audio book cued up called Once We Were Brothers.

Went to bed at 1220 am after watching ball drop on tv. Woke up at 733 and got on line here. Been reading posts since then, exciting stuff huh!

One of my bands rang in the new year playing a gig at a local establishment last night.

Today we're packing for a road trip. We're driving 1180 kms tomorrow, 1120 Friday, and 660 on Saturday.

Yesterday, I watched Navy beat Kansas State in the Liberty Bowl. Then enjoyed our traditional New Year's Eve rack of lamb dinner with a first rate Pomerol. After dinner, we played the annual Scrabble game and rang in the New Year sipping a 1977 vintage Warre's Port.

This morning, I got up and made cranberry scones and walnut honey butter for them. The young wife made the traditional smoked chicken (I smoked it at home last week) and butternut squash hash with poached egg on top. I uncorked a bottle of Veuve Clicqout, then we sat down to the same New Year's brunch we have enjoyed for 29 years in a row. This year was, however, the first time we have ever had company for it.

Just finished washing all the dishes.

Yesterday I saw the kids off to the airport at 3:30am via Uber (blow that dough) then went back to sleep until 7. Walked the dog then stripped the guest beds and started laundry as friends who moved to Colorado a few years ago needed a place to stay for a few days while visiting their daughter (who has two small children and no guest room). Finished prepping the guest room then out for errands - mailing the things DD forgot, returning gifts to Amazon, and a bit of grocery shopping.

Made turkey soup from the leftovers from last Friday's big dinner while watching Duke cream Boston College in basketball, then enjoyed it with some bubbly. Watched Texas cream Utah in football then saw the ball drop and headed to bed.

Today has been quiet - watched the Rose Parade, did some yard work, now catching up on a few things before settling in for more football and making Hoppin' John for dinner.

Happy 2020, all!

My son and I tried to get the tractor started a couple of days ago. it started for a bit and then died. Tried again this morning with no luck. Just as I was starting to put things away to wait for warmer weather, it dawned on me that I forgot to turn the gas petcock at the gas tank on. It starts and runs much better when it has the gas flowing! DS and I are restocking the wood shed today.

Sick as a dog sitting in my recliner still in my PJ's eating homemade chicken soup and watching the NHL winter classic.

Since DW does most of the cooking, I decided to surprise for lunch on New Year's Day.
I ordered some lobster meat from Bar Harbor, Maine. It got here yesterday (whew). I got the recipe from Bon Appetit, and picked a lemon and some chives from our little patch of ground. I toasted some rolls in butter, and made her the first lobster rolls she has had since our trip to Maine, some years ago.:D

The most important thing I did today was to uphold the tradition my great-great grandparents brought over from northern Germany 171 years ago. You must have a piece of pickled herring on New Year's Day in order to have good luck throughout the coming year.

I've only defaulted on the tradition once in my life, because I see no reason to tempt fate. :D

Of course, it does help that I really enjoy pickled herring, and eat it all year long. :LOL:

Took down the Christmas tree and packed away the decorations. Much to my mother’s consternation, I culled some of my unwanted/unused decorations, to be donated or tossed. Honestly mother, if I haven’t wanted to use it in the past five years I’m sure I can live without the crocheted snowman[emoji849]

Now ready for some yoga and a shower. Looking forward to watching a new Doctor Who later tonight.

The most important thing I did today was to uphold the tradition my great-great grandparents brought over from northern Germany 171 years ago. You must have a piece of pickled herring on New Year's Day in order to have good luck throughout the coming year.

I've only defaulted on the tradition once in my life, because I see no reason to tempt fate. :D

Of course, it does help that I really enjoy pickled herring, and eat it all year long. :LOL:

Great tradition! I just had some for me, DH and the two kitties. DH was very appreciative as I'm sure were the kitties :LOL:.

A nice walk later this afternoon then cooking DH's favorite dinner. All in all, a nice quiet day.

Nice mellow day today. 47 degrees and sunny, although breezy. I had lunch with my mom and sis and did a little shopping. Hanging around the house with my DH and we had two nice outside walks today. January in Iowa!

First hike of 2020. Ordered a Sous Vide cooker. Woodworking - made a photo frame. Now getting ready to order the pizza that we weren't hungry enough for yesterday.

ROMEO group meet at 8:00 AM at Burger King, then took DW for breakfast.

This afternoon we went to a New Years Day party at a friend's house. Back home to watch the rest of the Rose Bowl (DW is napping...probably for the rest of the evening/night).

Honestly mother, if I haven’t wanted to use it in the past five years I’m sure I can live without the crocheted snowman

Please tell me that you didn't toss the Christmas trees made from the Reader's Digest magazines? Those are family heirlooms!

Spent the day renovating the shed attached to our winter place. It will become a 'bed-in-the-shed' kind of place. Pulled down the paneling and stapled up ceiling tiles, took down the furring strips that the ceiling tiles were held to. Wired up 4 LED ceiling fixtures and moved a couple outlets. Getting ready to replace the plumbing, and then comes the joy of dry-walling!

Sushi for lunch and a trip to home depot for lumber to make additional shelves for clothes closets.

Son-in-law and I took my grandkids, ages 11, 5 and 3 roller skating. Had a great time. So glad that I did not get hurt, since DH and I leave Charlotte early Friday morning to drive to Ft Lauderdale so we can get on our cruise ship on Saturday morning. (My older sister was hurt roller skating with her grandkids around a year or so ago and is still in treatment for it.)

Did some spreadsheet work to guesstimate this year’s withdrawal, as well as this year’s taxes. One perk of getting older is that I now get an additional $1300 deduction. [emoji41]

One reason to ponder this more closely this year is that I’m drawing down my next new car account by just enough to stay in the 0% cap gains tax rate. Plan is to buy the next car in 2021.

Placed transfer order, 3.53% of balance, 4.34% using the “4% rule”.

After testing I parked the generator in it's new home between my new workbench and the bin rack.

49317255886_9aa6183be5_o.jpg

The gas tank was removed and a plywood shelf was made for the (2) 30 lb propane tanks to reside upon. I installed retainers that engage the bottom rings on the tanks so they are secured and won't fall if earth quakes.

..........The gas tank was removed and a plywood shelf was made for the (2) 30 lb propane tanks to reside upon. I installed retainers that engage the bottom rings on the tanks so they are secured and won't fall if earth quakes.
Not to be the safety police, but generally propane tanks are not stored indoors in case they leak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom