What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old GMC pickup. 20200418_140751.jpeg

What did you do today? - 2020 version

We are in the middle of a severe thunderstorm, with both flash flood warnings and tornado warnings (not watches!). Yikes. We have had over 3" of rain already and it's not even noon yet, plus it is dark as night outside. Not only do we have a thunderstorm, but also today is the day when the African Saharan dust cloud is supposed to descend upon us and impact us heavily for the first time, and F was already having serious trouble with his allergies. I don't know if the rain will wash the dust out of the air, but nobody in the news media seems to think so.

We both independently decided that instead of eating at our favorite restaurant today, we want to stay home. Here at home it is safe, dry, and air conditioned with filtered air.

Even after sleeping nine hours it was hard getting out of bed with all this darkness and rain, and I plan to take a nice long nap at some point later on.

I had to run some errands this morning and realized I needed gas. I log my mileage at fillups - and when I was logging, noticed I hadn't filled up in more than 2 months!!!!!

I used to go about 1.5 weeks between fillups.

I guess I really have been staying at home. Even with the beach open for walking again I'm only going 2-3 times/week.... vs daily pre covid.

I've considered getting another old VW, but so far I have held back doing that. Going 60 mph down the freeway in a bug with someone texting while driving a few feet off of my back bumper doesn't sound that fun.
JP

JP, I restored a 1970 Beetle a few years ago from a non-running, found in a field, junker. One thing I need to mention is that OEM parts are not easily obtained for these cars anymore, unless you buy used (and those are questionable). I spent many $$$ buying Chinese parts, most of which won't fit, are cheaply made, or are not even close to being the correct parts. I could write a book on the junk parts and their "stories".

Anyway, I resurrected the Beetle and rebuilt the engine, suspension, fuel system, redid the interior, etc.

I drove it for a while and got that out of my system after having several of them in my youth. And you are correct, they are downright scary in today's traffic! One good smack in the front and the gas tank is in your lap and the steering column is in your chest.

I sold it to a young guy that was going to make a hot rod out of it. Here's a pic after I redid the brake system completely:

VW Restored.jpg

JP: Nice od GMC, but that driver's mirror back needs a coat of white paint!

Painting my truck, and going back to work are not in my vocabulary.
(I like the real patina look. Not so much the fake kind.)

Other than the running boards and one door, my truck is original faded out paint from 1971. It was an old ranch truck from Montana.

The bug looks nice. Every bug I've owned needed a complete brake job done to them.

It sounds like you had fun working on it. That is certainly part of the charm.

A bug would work nice for in city driving in a low population area. Otherwise, not so much. Maybe Sunday drives to car shows.

JP
JP, I restored a 1970 Beetle a few years ago from a non-running, found in a field, junker. One thing I need to mention is that OEM parts are not easily obtained for these cars anymore, unless you buy used (and those are questionable). I spent many $$$ buying Chinese parts, most of which won't fit, are cheaply made, or are not even close to being the correct parts. I could write a book on the junk parts and their "stories".

Anyway, I resurrected the Beetle and rebuilt the engine, suspension, fuel system, redid the interior, etc.

I drove it for a while and got that out of my system after having several of them in my youth. And you are correct, they are downright scary in today's traffic! One good smack in the front and the gas tank is in your lap and the steering column is in your chest.

I sold it to a young guy that was going to make a hot rod out of it. Here's a pic after I redid the brake system completely:

View attachment 35434

JP: Nice od GMC, but that driver's mirror back needs a coat of white paint!

Cut down and cut up two small dead trees at the edge of the woods. Well, one of them had fallen down during a rainstorm last night so we didn't have to cut that one down. The other one was close to that point so we just hurried it along. Chucked all the wood pieces into the woods.

Had a follow-up visit with the cardiologist. Good news, I'm gonna live! For a while yet anyway. Then sort-of on the way home stopped and made a grocery run, it will save a separate trip tomorrow. Chocolate mint ice cream was not on sale but I bought some anyway. And for the first time since last March there was oodles of TP on the shelves! Any brand, any kind, any amount you wanted. Luxury!:dance:

Lastly, some critter has been tentatively digging small holes along the front sidewalk near where we had a gopher trying to make a home last year. I suspect another gopher. Sprayed the area with some Victor gopher repellent, put grass seed in the holes/dug up areas, covered that with topsoil, then sprayed again with the gopher repellent. I don't really expect all that to work but I'm hoping for the easy way out.

If/when I see further evidence of digging then out come the traps that worked so well last year. Danged gopher has had fair warning.:mad:

Had to go to the Emergency Room last night because of a dog bite that would not stop bleeding. The dog owner was upset with me for being bit but at least the people in ER were nice. In-and-out in less than 30 minutes. I was the only one there.

Opened up my grandfathers 1918 steamer trunk. I expected a somewhat quick clean out. Yikes!The contents go back to the Civil War.

Opened up my grandfathers 1918 steamer trunk. I expected a somewhat quick clean out. Yikes!The contents go back to the Civil War.
Do NOT throw anything out until you have it evaluated. Just watch Antiques Road Show sometime and see the stuff they have on.

I was pleasently surprised when a stranger rang our door and said he had my Tesla model Y on his trailer! The delivery process wasn't communicated well and we had pretty much written it off as not happening again today.

I had read all kinds of horror stories about early builds and quality; happy to say don't believe everything on the internet. Looks good while I haven't tested everything it seems like everything I expected.

DW and I went out for a little drive and holy cow! This is the performance model and it's hard to describe how it knocks you back into the seat when you tell it to go. I quickly learned to tell DW before I did as she tweaked her neck the first time I accelerated. I will not be short on acceleration when passing.

I was pleasently surprised when a stranger rang our door and said he had my Tesla model Y on his trailer!

Great! Here's hoping it's everything you expected.

Please keep us informed about your experience, because I'm considering a Model Y for my next car (in 2 or 3 years).

Went to ranch and picked berries. Need to go everyday for a week or so when berries are ripping.

Stopped in at Lowes and picked up some topsoil for a later project in the fall, then down to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription, then to Home Depot for the grass seed and a Scotts spreader to replace the 40-year-old Ortho one. I lost the calibration instructions for the latter about 20 years ago and it has some components that are about to rust through. And if I got 40 years out of a spreader that's probably doing okay.

Kind of a roundabout way to get the stuff done but it was halfway just to get out of the house for a while.

Watching the spacewalk on the ISS this morning. Bob Behnken and Chris Cassidy are continuing to replace NiMH batteries with new Li-ion ones. They are ahead of schedule and now doing some pre-work for the next spacewalk by installing foot restraints and breaking torque on some bolts.

It's funny how sci-fi movies show space life as fast and exciting, but the life we see on the ISS often proceeds at a tedious pace, with details observed right down to the number of the handrail to grab on to and the number of turns on each bolt.

Had to go to the Emergency Room last night because of a dog bite that would not stop bleeding. The dog owner was upset with me for being bit but at least the people in ER were nice. In-and-out in less than 30 minutes. I was the only one there.

Upset with you and not the dog? What the heck?

:facepalm:ordered paper products from amazon, forgot I had ordered them from Office Depot too! Lots of deliveries yesterday and today
won't need them for a while and will share with DS and DD families.

Planning on cleaning out my storage shed today.

Went to the shooting range this morning with a friend. I put about 50 rounds through my Walther P99 9mm luger. Friend got a new Taurus Judge which shoots .45 caliber and also 410 shotgun shells. Loud gun! :cool:

Hour and a half workout on my mountain bike this morning. My usual route has a 1 mile 1,000 vertical foot hill climb. Cranking the heavier mountain bike up that monster grade brings my heart rate right up to max. Great way to start the day!

Workout was followed by front yard work.

And now after a light lunch heading over to the gym to work on core strength exercises.

I got tired of going out and buying chlorine for the pool, so installed a SWG (chlorine generator). Not too difficult to install, but the 105 degree heat index slowed me down a little bit. Now, I get to unload about 400 pounds of salt into the pool. :) I am glad I am retired...I am not sure how I would find the time to do all this stuff!

Sorry to hear about the bite...bummer! I am not sure if you needed stitches or not, but just last week, I had a cut that would not stop bleeding. It wasn't too deep and didn't look like it need stitches but no matter how much pressure (and no matter how long), it wouldn't stop. I was about 10 seconds from going to the ER until I remembered that we had some styptic gel for the dogs nails. We had never used it, but the instructions showed that it could also be used for tail docking (which I assume bleeds A LOT) so I thought it might help. Well, it certainly did! Bleeding stopped immediately and it healed with no difficulty. The styptic was fairly messy, but it sure did the job! Here is what we have for reference.

Last edited:
I know you're joking. Some people do believe that it is possible to look in windows with them, but in the price range of the camera I have it just doesn't have the dynamic range to see in a window, at least not in the daytime. $16 & change doesn't buy much in that regard, but on the flip side I'm astonished they can make them so lightweight and cheap. The one I have is similar looking, I don't think it is the same one. I'll have to open an account on youtube or someplace to host it and then post a link to a video.

Today was yard work day, mowed the grass and changed the oil on the lawn mower. It's new and supposedly you never have to change the oil. I don't buy that for a minute. When I poured out the used oil (~3 or 4 hours running time) it looked like it had a lot of silvery particles in it as to be expected with a new engine. I'll change it again at the end of the season as usual from now on.

Out of curiosity I looked up what the average life of a lawn mower is, and it seems to be seven to ten years. Given the lack of maintenance that so many people give them I'm not surprised. I've consistently gotten between 20 and 25 years, but then I keep the oil changed and the air filter clean, the two biggies for long engine life.

So if people don't change the oil and clean the air filters, then it's no surprise the engines don't last long and then you get that "average mower life".

Lawnmowers have filters? Shoot. I just add oil...i should change the filter it would run better. I swapped the motor once with a $20 yard sale replacement that deck was cracked on. So for $20 and some oil every now and then...with a few spare parts which ive already needed...lawncare is quite cheap. Had this mower 6 years but I'm certain its almost 20 old.

As for drones. I love my mavic mini...you would know I was peeping because I would be the dork standing in the street with my controller looking dorky. You should always maintain line of sight and its true our eyes see more through your windows then the drone would

Had a busy day so far - and it's only 1/2 through...
- Walked the dog at the beach extra early. Unfortunately, couldn't walk the last southern bit because some idiot had 3 dogs off leash (illegal) and didn't want to deal.
- Came home and rousted the younger son to follow me to the local valvoline shop - I got an oil change, he got new power steering fluid and an oil change. Home by 9:15am.
- Took a shower and started laundry real quick.
- Hopped on my weekly zoom call with my beach walk buddies - we've been walking seperately since the covid thing, and this is our way of continuing our conversations that range from mundane (gripes and brags about family members) to philosophical...
- Transferred laundry, grabbed a bite to eat and cleaned up everyone else's mess in the kitchen.
- Watched the Governor on tv (he was announcing some 'adjustments' to the various shutdown/reopening.) Sighed with relief that our county is not on the naughty list.

I'm exhausted and it's only 1:30pm

I went to Dr. to have a "routine" procedure to remove a cyst from my back/neck, as they were stiching me up she kept asking if I was ok. all thru the procedure from the deadening till then I was sitting there just leaned over with no problem. Then I started to feel warm then hot and sweating,which I told her and she had the nurse help her sit me up. Then i became very nauseated and they grabbed a bucket for me. Lets just say I proved to them that I had eaten lunch. It was along time ago after a long night of drinks since I was that sick! Whew after recovering she finished stitching me up and called my wife to come pick me up in case I got sick again.After the feeling came back last night I took some Tylenol and went to bed. no more sickness but some pain this am.I have never had anything like that happen to me but they said it does sometimes.
DH had a similar episode when they had to do 3 layers of stitches to close his thigh meat at the dermatologist. luckily (?) I keep chocolate in my purse bc I'm secretly a fat kid. He went shakey on the top layer so they laid him back and he ate his chocolate and was fine in a few. Airborne Ranger went white as snow. I'm glad you're feeling better

An electrician called to ask if they could come by and see what was possible to wire up a Tesla charger in the garage. He was a week early, he admitted he was curious about what it would require and the technical aspects.

He's currently installing it! Better yet he can get a 60 amp breaker dedicated to the charger. This will allow the vehicle to add 42 miles of range per hour and can schedule all during the off peak hours. Our off electric rate is only .0620 Kph at this time.

Last edited:
Today was an exercise in frustration. Apparently the drain hole in the freezer
section iced up and the melt water trickled to the bottom of the freezer and froze
We had to empty all the food in the freezer and remove the top rack (thank you YouTube). I looked for a drain hole but did not see one.
I invested $5 in Just Answer and got a response. I would have had to remove the back panel to access the drain. I am 82 and there is no way I am going to get that far into the fridge. DW suggested putting a couple of pots of boiling water in the freezer and hopefully the steam will help.
We left them in for about an hour, the used a blow dryer in the area where we thought the drain was.
We then put all the food back, tossing out stuff we were no longer interested in.
Time will tell if we solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom