What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Spent a few hours on cleanup/organize one end of my garage. Surprisingly there is actually some visible diffrence:) Theree more sections to do...... any day now.

+7C today, well above normal. Changed the wipers on my car and topped up washer fluid. Also emptied the 16 or 18 bags of smoker pellets we recently bought at an auction into some plastic tubs.

Went in for my yearly physical. All systems normal.

Spent a few hours on cleanup/organize one end of my garage. Surprisingly there is actually some visible diffrence:) Theree more sections to do...... any day now.

I did the same, (garage reorg) and then wondered why I am hauling around and storing all these tools and other stuff I will probably never use again.:blush:

I did the same, (garage reorg) and then wondered why I am hauling around and storing all these tools and other stuff I will probably never use again.:blush:

LOL. I am organizing my tools plus a bunch from my Dad. He gave them to me because he will never use them again. I have way too many. :LOL:

Am not moving, but do have tons of tools, not counting the small electronics stuff in the basement (yeah another cleanup project to be gotten to). Can't rush these things you know.

Have considered donating the garage tools to some kid seriously learning mechanicing of any sort. In the past theree years have not found any.

They are too good to take to scrap yard.
One day I may just take them to my camp, under which is an abandoned coal mine of about 300 acres, now fully flooded and dump them in old venilation shaft which drops down 500 feet. The acid water should reduce them to rust slag in no time at all. Heh heh nature works wonderfully.

Maybe wait a few more years for some ambitious lucky kid to show up.

I went to a job to check on some confined space entry work that needs to be done.
I set the structures more than two years ago. Here is one of the type 1's hanging from the tower crane. Now there is a 700+ unit apartment building there.
PXL-20211014-183845072.jpg

The ISP tech came by and set up our second connection, and the new dual WAN router showed up while he was there.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QTXNWZ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have it all configured now and the speed test was most gratifying.
Connections? Multi
Speed was more than doubled. That is pretty cool stuff.
This was spurred by a long comcast outage due to sabotage on the network. DW works from home and the cost of the second connection is not much when measured against the stress she had over that.

Am not moving, but do have tons of tools, not counting the small electronics stuff in the basement (yeah another cleanup project to be gotten to). Can't rush these things you know.

Have considered donating the garage tools to some kid seriously learning mechanicing of any sort. In the past theree years have not found any.

One day I may just take them to my camp, under which is an abandoned coal mine of about 300 acres, now fully flooded and dump them in old venilation shaft which drops down 500 feet. The acid water should reduce them to rust slag in no time at all. Heh heh nature works wonderfully.

How about alley mart / sidewalk mart / side of the road by your house mart? Those have worked for us. :)

Or check a local community college auto mechanics course?
Or maybe even a high school might still have auto mechanics classes?
Both may desire more tools

DH gave some tools to an up-scale thrift store, and when we went back sometime later the woman there said the tools went fast.

How about alley mart / sidewalk mart / side of the road by your house mart? Those have worked for us. :)

This has worked well for us too. After my mom died we put her favorite old recliner out there. It was a little worn, and thrift stores are getting kinda picky these days, so even though it was a good quality item, we decided to try the roadside mart first. The chair disappeared the next day.

I am a car nut and have been my whole life. My last restoration project was to restore a 1971 VW beetle (got it cheap out of an estate). Took a year and a half of my spare time. I realized my arthritis is getting worse and paid the price on this project when I rebuilt the suspension (lots of low work).

After I sold the Bug to a local young guy, I decided to hang up the rebuilding stuff. I gave 1/2 of my hand tools to a Montgomery County Sheriff I know that has young sons anxious to work on cars. I gave my three floor jacks to my stepson.

I gave away my two air compressors (one 5 HP, 240 volt, one small one) to friends. I also gave the air tools with the big compressor.

I'm left with a few sets of various drive size sockets, specialized sockets, three torque wrenches, numerous box and open end wrenches, drills, screwdrivers, etc, etc. and a lot of misc greases. oils, and chemicals. I also have a big rolling tool box and various tool bags with unidentified tools still in them.

All this is on a wall of my new garage and I just keep looking at it. :LOL: Sooner or later, I
ll find homes for most of this stuff.

Assistant cookie baker. Set the timer then had the tough job of sampling the batches as they came out. It’s tough work, but somebody’s got to do it.

Started construction on a new R/C airplane kit, the old kind that comes in a box of balsa and plywood and after several months to several years of work (depends on the pace) an airplane emerges from the piles of dust and scraps on the floor. This kit is made by the appropriately named "Old School Model Works" except that now the parts are laser cut with a precision we only dreamed of when I started modeling.

Messaged our garage contractor about a check I wrote him for $1500.00 that only got debited for $Fifteen xx/100. I guess the spelled out line wins there, and I owe him another $1485. Doh! :LOL:

Edit to add I see from SSA.gov that I am approved for Medicare. :)

Last edited:
Got excited a few days ago about the potential for tax loss harvesting to reduce the 2023 long-term capital gains tax for myself and few relatives. We all will be reporting large LT capital gains this year. I read a bunch of TLH articles on the internet and decided that I was an expert. :facepalm:

This morning, I decided that I had better check whether something as trivial as automatic dividend reinvestment could screw up the TLH. Yep! For TLH transaction size doesn't matter. :nonono:

So ... I walk away a tad humbled recognizing that sometimes running an idea by a financial professional would be prudent. :)

Went for a walk in the woods behind the house this morning, warm today at 50 degrees. Saw Wood duck and a Heron in one of the ponds. Beautiful morning! Nursing a bad case of plantar fasciitis , haven't walked any significant distance in 4 weeks. Touch better today.
Storm coming in tomorrow.

Bicycle race both Saturday and Sunday. 4th on Saturday and 5th on Sunday. Was hoping for a bit better but racing against guys 10 years younger so not so surprised.

Fall season will wrap up later this month. Next up, mountain bike racing starting mid-January!!! The good times just keep on rolling.

Started a big garage purging today. I used to do all sorts of computer stuff and that whole thing has gone by the wayside. I have a big stack of recycle and a small box of save so far.

A couple long walks and that was about all. A lazy day didn't do anything productive at all.

This past weekend we went on Saturday afternoon to hear the Air Force Band "Season of Hope" Holiday concert in D.C. They always do a great job.

After the concert we walked over to see the National Christmas Tree, the trees from U.S. states territories, and the National Menorah. It was a very pleasant evening, not too crowded and everyone was in a holiday mood.

Woke up early and decided to go to ranch and burn slash piles I been working on most of summer. We have about an inch of snow the wind was right direction and light. Had a picnic and enjoyed the day in paradise.

A great winter so far, we been having 30's and 40's and sunny days.

Got a fiber internet connection installed this afternoon. I now have twice the internet speed at a little over half the cost of my cable, so I'm looking forward to calling the cable company and canceling.

Watching the installer was really interesting. When I was young, I had a job for a while with NY Telephone, and I have to admit I kind of enjoyed the technology, even though it was primitive compared to today. Telephones had dials back then, although some were already equipped with push buttons.

Got a fiber internet connection installed this afternoon. I now have twice the internet speed at a little over half the cost of my cable, so I'm looking forward to calling the cable company and canceling.

Congratulations.

I remember celebrating the day our fiber connection was installed and what a huge difference it made in our ability to connect to the internet! I didn't have the pleasure of telling the cable company adios, as we didn't (and still don't) have cable available here. However, I truly enjoyed saying goodbye to the expensive, unreliable, sad excuse of an internet provider we were forced to use for more than a decade. I wonder if they are still in business...

EDIT: Looks like they haven't stopped abusing customers, at least not yet. Not often you see a company stay in business with an average Google rating of two stars and Yelp rating of 1.5 stars. Unfortunately for their rural customers they are often the only option available.

Last edited:
I remember celebrating the day our fiber connection was installed and what a huge difference it made in our ability to connect to the internet!

I was amazed. As of last month, our down/up speeds were 70/5. They they raised the price because of an "upgrade" and it went to 40/10. Now I have 500/220 at little more than half the cost. Cable companies really are evil, aren't they? :mad:

And stupid, it would seem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom