What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

REWahoo >>> that is not something that happens often. Good for you and what did they have to say for a no charge.

I found the leak, and was a fuel leak not an oil leak. The fix requires tools I don't have and I am not confident in training myself up to do the task.
Video below, it is #3 not #4 bonnet that is leaking.

https://youtu.be/Tb6__u5w4iY

REWahoo >>> that is not something that happens often. Good for you and what did they have to say for a no charge.

They really didn’t say anything and I didn’t want to give them a chance to change their mind, so I just said “Great, thank you!” and left as quickly as I could.:)

I took a look at a trust account being "professionally" managed for a relative. The account had $250k in 2023 income but paid $150k in 2023 management fees :facepalm:. I might be willing to do the job for less. :D

Installed TurboTax yesterday and started on the income tax today. I still need the 1099's from SS for me and DW, and one for dividend income from the credit union and then I can file.

Received a letter from the county tax office regarding an error on our 2023 property taxes. The state passed a property tax relief bill last year and the county used the wrong formula in their calculation. The bottom line is the bill they sent me a couple of months ago with an $800 reduction in tax for 2023 vs 2022 should have actually been a $2,000 reduction.

I'm going to celebrate "finding" that $1,200 by using it to help pay for a new set of hearing aids. BTD...

Received a letter from the county tax office regarding an error on our 2023 property taxes. The state passed a property tax relief bill last year and the county used the wrong formula in their calculation. The bottom line is the bill they sent me a couple of months ago with an $800 reduction in tax for 2023 vs 2022 should have actually been a $2,000 reduction.

I'm going to celebrate "finding" that $1,200 by using it to help pay for a new set of hearing aids. BTD...

Sweet!

Congratulations!

We got our refund from bank escrow for the reduction in our taxes as well. We turned around and sent it back to apply it to our principle!
You could use yours to almost purchase a set of hearing aids from Costco. Mine last year were $1500.00 and they are great!

You could use yours to almost purchase a set of hearing aids from Costco. Mine last year were $1500.00 and they are great!

Yes, I have an appointment at Costco tomorrow.

I have Costco HAs that I've been wearing for 4+ years and lost one of them while working in the yard yesterday. Since I'm well past the free replacement date I figure I should go ahead and BTD on a new, upgraded pair.

Wrapping up our winter travels today. Have been leisurely working our way through Belize, Costa Rica and Quntana Roo (southern Mexico).

Tomorrow will be on a plane headed north to the storm ravaged West Coast.

It is a beautiful, sunny but cold day here. I worked in my church's food pantry for about 5 hours. It makes me happy to help hungry people, but sad that there should be so many of them in the first place.

Been on a short road trip with the pup while DW is on a sister's trip. Pedernales Falls was nice for a TX park & nearby did a quick drive to LBJ Ranch.

Then down to Corpus Cristi for dinner with an aunt who I see about every 10 years (or at funerals) and on to Port Aransas to do some free beach camping. Surprisingly easy to do, just get an annual parking pass for $12 & drive onto the beach. Pretty amazing sunrises so far. Heading home tomorrow or Thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_20240206_065410536.jpg
    IMG_20240206_065410536.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 5
Lovely picture, @surewhitey.
I had a short day at the office, taking the dump truck to the shop to get that fuel leak addressed, and then working on cleanup in general.

Sitting at the airport down in Cancun waiting to board flight home. Dear wife was selected for secondary screening again. Usually I get that honor. Extensive travels in Central America and many one way / last minute plane tix is likely the reason!!!!

Got to get home to California to assess and do repairs to the house and orchard from large storms on the West Coast. Hopefully damage is not extensive!

We went to the senior matinee at the movies today, where we watched "Wonka," starring Timothée Chalamet. It was very enjoyable in the comfy relining seats, with only one other couple in the theater.

Paid the local mechanic shop $400 for replacing car coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid. Also inspected it and say it looks good especially for a 98 Corolla albeit with 51,000 miles. But we need to replace rear struts, brake shoes and drums out back and pads in front for almost $2000. Might also consider front struts for another $1000. We are consoling ourselves with the thought it has needed very little money for several years, so it's time. Plus it feels like a boat going down the road, floaty.

Also even newer used cars are $$$$$ yikes.

Completed my federal tax return. I have been waiting on an update from TT to finalize form 5695, Residential Energy Credits. The update hit last night and I was able to claim a $2K credit for the heat pump HVAC system I had installed last year.

Haven't e-filed yet as I usually wait until at least Feb 15 before pushing the send button.

Completed my federal tax return. I have been waiting on an update from TT to finalize form 5695, Residential Energy Credits. The update hit last night and I was able to claim a $2K credit for the heat pump HVAC system I had installed last year.

Haven't e-filed yet as I usually wait until at least Feb 15 before pushing the send button.

I still have to wait for my Schwab 1099s and a K-1 from a pipeline company. March 15th is my target for filing.

Had the annual inspection done on the 2003 GMC 4WD pickup truck that was my retirement present. Four more years and I can get antique tags for it!

Unusual day for me. Saw the space-x launch this morning then spent the day at the kennedy space center with my grandson and son, whose 34th birthday is today. EXPERÌENCES!

Got my Errors and Omissions tail insurance set up today.
I was with the company enough years there was no extra cost. Yay.

Not exciting but always good to CYA.

Gym session this morning. An hour of mind numbing intervals on the treadmill.

Will get out on my bike for an easy spin later to knock the mud off the tires and get ready for mountain bike racing this weekend.

Finished up the income taxes, haven't filed yet since DW wants "to think about it" while she looks over things. This is normal and I expect to file electronically on Monday.

I picked up the dump truck and cleaned the engine and test ran it, no more leaks. I did some other cleanups and started working on the next fix, sealing up some air leaks.

Back
Top Bottom