What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Taking it easy today. Yesterday did a stupid move--pup wanted to sit on my lap, so did a bend, twist, lift (dumb, dumb) and my chair rolled out from under me. Landed hard on my bum with the dog in my lap. Back, neck and bum sore last night and today. Nothing broken. Using ice, heat, and some THC/CBD cream.
Stupid move, I know better! :fingerwag:
Hardwood floors are really hard at this age

Taking it easy today. Yesterday did a stupid move--pup wanted to sit on my lap, so did a bend, twist, lift (dumb, dumb) and my chair rolled out from under me. Landed hard on my bum with the dog in my lap. Back, neck and bum sore last night and today. Nothing broken. Using ice, heat, and some THC/CBD cream.
Stupid move, I know better! :fingerwag:
Hardwood floors are really hard at this age
This is why I like carpet in the house. Hardwood floors are HARD!:oops:

Got my round downspout at ABC Supply for < $35 out the door, instead of > $80.
Don't count on the big box for a good price. ;)

Made and canned 18 half pints of chicken stock. Up-potted all 25 of my tomato seedlings.

Mountain bike race earlier in the week. Allergies got to me. Placed 5th.

First gravel races of the season coming up quick. Last week I put my big boy (cycling) shorts on and ramped up the training mileage. Got to show that old guys can still bring it!!!!

I spent far too much time today watching the demolition of the Fairfield Avenue bridge over I-95 in Norwalk. There was a truck collision on I-95 on Thursday. A tanker truck involved in the collision burst into flames directly under the bridge, structurally compromising it. So I-95 has been closed in both directions since then. Today, they demolished the bridge and the Connecticut DOT had a live feed camera to watch the work. It was fascinating to see the giant machines in coordinated action, tearing the bridge piece from piece and hauling everything away. They just opened the northbound side of the highway, about 12 hours after they started the work. I am very impressed.

Breakfast with DW's cousins, and now I am editing some of the house plans and getting header calculations done after a conversation with the building inspector. He has an older revision of the drawings already notated, so I will peel out the pages that have changed and send them to him.

Smoked a Prime brisket (Costco bought) and had DD and her husband over for dinner. Gave them the remaining 5 + pounds of brisket to take home.

Walking around Bamberg on day 1 & catching up on my sleep.
IMG_20240504_155905907.jpg

Been a busy last few day. Boys got a couple of turkeys and been preparing a trial test plot for a new variety of hay to seed. I will leave shortly to go seed the plot and I was planning this, so I could hit it right with rain coming in the next three or four days.

Going to see the Rays vs Mets today. Diana Ross this Thursday.

Rainy Sunday, so staying in today. Need some things from Costco and may do an online order for delivery. I have never done that for Costco, but I don't feel like going there for just a few things.

Watched it rain, thunder, lightning and blow this morning at 5:30 AM. That's enough already! Got the dog out for a spin at 8:00 AM when it stopped.

Be sure to try the different styles of Rauchbier. Schlenkerla and Spezial, of course, and the Spezial bierkeller up on the hill has an awesome view.
We did get to Schlenkerla. Enjoyed the beers and experience. Nice folks there.

Wrestled four 2x12x10 foot deck boards into submission, err trimmed and in place.
Then I submitted to no more energy and quit for the day.
Still need to screw them down and a couple odds and ends,
but ready for the house painters to start on the outside tomorrow.
It has been a flog getting here. :sleep:

Edited more of the plans and had to take it easy due to one of those annoying bruised heels.

It was finally dry enough to mow the back yard with the new Milwaukee battery mower. It's definitely nice to not have to wear ear plugs, and the self-propel motors do a much better job than Toro's "personal pace" method. That was the major incentive to buy it so that makes it worthwhile. With the standard blade it does not do as clean a cut as the gas-powered Toro or the Honda I had before that, but I did buy a "high lift" blade for the new mower so I'll see how that works next time. I suspect that'll work much better because the "wings" (the turned-up edges at the back of the blade) are barely there on the standard blade and on the "high lift" blade are much closer to normal for gas-powered mowers. I suspect there is a penalty for that in how long the batteries last because of increase air resistance, but if there is that's acceptable to me for a better cut. Right now the cut looks a bit ragged and I'm not impressed with it. Granted the grass was taller than I normally let it grow because of the delay when the other mower quit and rain in the meantime.

I also mounted a couple of battery chargers for all the tools on the wall in the basement shop area using a few Tapcon screws. DW was appalled that I'd drill holes IN THE FOUNDATION WALL! One has to understand, she hates drilling holes in any walls; when we bought this house it was a good six months or maybe a year before I was allowed to hang anything at all on the walls. Anyway, I reminded her that there were already lots of holes in the foundation - how does she think water and electricity get in here, and to the hose bibs and electrical outlets on the outside? "Yes, but I didn't see those being made." Anyway, I think I convinced her that there will be no insect invasion and the house won't fall down.

Played "network troubleshooter" to determine why the connections from my primary home network LAN switch to 2 other satellite LAN switches were only running at 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps. Both connections to the satellite switches are via cables run behind walls/above the ceiling to wall plates, then another cable from the wall plate to the switch. In one case, the problem was the coupler in the wall plate. In the other case, the problem was the cable run behind 2 walls. The former was a quick fix, the latter required running a new 50 foot cable - fortunately, having one cable already run made replacing it with a new cable much easier.

First mow of the year. Weed whipped and blew the hardscapes down. Tire broke on the mower, but I've had a spare sitting in my rafters so it was an easy 1/2" socket fix.

Replaced my bicycle tire tube that had a whole, and put a new tire on the back. Off to the races again.

Took the kids to the park. Went for a bike ride with my daughter. Grilled some brats for dinner.

Played some catch with the boy. Pretty much the perfect day.

Went on a car club ride through twisty scenic rural backroads, with the top down of course. There were 20+ cars, and I reconnected with folks I hadn't seen in almost 30 years! Met new people too, so great to share a common passion to talk about. Also tried out a new car seat organizer for my radio, phone, cords, power bank and clipboard, for when there is no co-pilot.

Now that I have retired, I hope to enjoy many more fun driving adventures!

Oh yeah, took a huge nap once I got home. No more having to stress out about laundry or getting ready for the Monday morning grind!

Edited more of the plans and had to take it easy due to one of those annoying bruised heels.
Quoting myself here for misidentification. This is my first encounter of gout in the heel. I thought the big toe was bad. Ha Ha Ha silly me.
I have to go clean up a job site today and prep to do a long day tomorrow. Ibuprofen + colchicine.

Quoting myself here for misidentification. This is my first encounter of gout in the heel. I thought the big toe was bad. Ha Ha Ha silly me.
I have to go clean up a job site today and prep to do a long day tomorrow. Ibuprofen + colchicine.
Gout is no joke if bad. Indomethacin used to be my go to back when I had bad attacks, but rough on the stomach. Since I got Allopurinol, my attacks are next to never.

Just had a new capacitor installed in my outdoor compressor. This is no time of year to be without air conditioning.
The tech said the compressor might have another two years in it, and that's about what I had guessed myself. It's 10 or 11 years old, and the cheapest model of a good brand (Trane).

Fortunately, I'm lucky to have a good company to deal with locally -- great service, fair prices. So I'll most likely replace it with whatever they recommend.

Back
Top Bottom