What Do You Do All Day?

LiveWell--
My hubs and I build/maintain trails at a state natural area and are out there several times a week--we also teach first aid/CPR to the staff/volunteers who work out there. We really enjoy it and I can devote lots more time to it than in my 60-70 hr/week working life when I had no life and was constantly exhausted.
But I only do this volunteering because I like it, and not because my life "lacks meaning" or something now that I'm not working...we should all be content to just "be" now and then.

LiveWell said:
From the people that have responded I get the impression that you don't have much structure or commitments on a daily or even weekly basis.  The sorts of activities described are what my mother-in-law (who is ERed) would call "puttering around".  There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about volunteering.  For the ER folks that volunteer, what does your typical day look like?
I'm in the final six months of a three-year term as Treasurer of a small non-profit. It involves a monthly meeting (Monday night, 2-3 hours) and an hour or two of paperwork/e-mail each week. Eight times a summer I'll spend a couple weekend hours handing out checks at one of our events. I've learned a lot and I've enjoyed the experience but I'll be happy to move on.

All my other volunteering has been an hour or two here&there or a one-day event. I think going somewhere on a regular basis would have to be pretty personally rewarding or it'd start to resemble the work environment all over again...

my mother-in-law (who is ERed) would call "puttering around"

She better get with me to the gym and see what she thinks about "puttering around" with some heavy squats and bench presses! :D

Cheers!

ben said:
She better get with me to the gym and see what she thinks about "puttering around" with some heavy squats and bench presses!  :D

Lifting weights makes me feel like I have done something also. Today I did 4 sets of 5 dead lifts with 225#. A few years ago I went heavier, but I hurt a knee and it has been a slow careful re-entry. I like to do some low power  light work or play after lifting; today I cut my grass.

I don't do any girlie-man body part stuff. Strictly deads, presses, cleans, chins and dips.

I play drums usually an hour or two almost every day. Sometimes more. One night a week I play with a bass player.

I also read quite a bit.

I would like to teach ESL, if it were handy to me. So far, the only opportunities I have heard about would require more driving than I like.

Ha

ben said:
She better get with me to the gym and see what she thinks about "puttering around" with some heavy squats and bench presses! :D

ben,
Talking about gym, I believe I just caught a chest cold thanks with the help of the A/C in my gym. I know that sometimes A/C may be a necessary evil (IMO) so I was wondering how cold are the A/Cs kept in most Thai commercial establishments.
I hope they are energy and cost saving conscious and keep it no lower than 72F 22C though I prefer minimum 75 F 24 C.

I have never owned an A/C and use fans to keep me cooler.

Nords said:
All my other volunteering has been an hour or two here&there or a one-day event. I think going somewhere on a regular basis would have to be pretty personally rewarding or it'd start to resemble the work environment all over again...
You could be right. I'm gonna try this base pharmacy thing anyway, if I ever make contact. She did call yesterday, but I was out. I called her but she was out. Hmmm. Mebbe they don't need me. Back to napping!

Like in the cinemas in Thailand the settings generally seem to attract pingvins from far, far away...
Where I work out I often ask them to reduce the temp. and they do so swiftly, but bringing an extra shirt can be wise in places not so flexible. Get well soon! Cheers!

MJ said:
ben,
Talking about gym, I believe I just caught a chest cold thanks with the help of the A/C in my gym. I know that sometimes A/C may be a necessary evil (IMO) so I was wondering how cold are the A/Cs kept in most Thai commercial establishments.
I hope they are energy and cost saving conscious and keep it no lower than 72F 22C though I prefer minimum 75 F  24 C.

I have never owned an A/C and use fans to keep me cooler.

ben said:
Like in the cinemas in Thailand the settings generally seem to attract pingvins from far, far away...
Where I work out I often ask them to reduce the temp. and they do so swiftly,

I guess if we wound up at the same gym, we'd drive the manager crazy;
here's one scenario,
ben: can you lower the temperature please?
a few minutes later mj enters gym
mj: would you mind raising the a/c a bit, it's pretty cold here.
a few minutes later
ben: I thought you were going to lower the temperature, it's very hot here.
manager to himself: those f---- farangs :D

Just another fine example of what I do all day. ;)

ben said:

Cheers!

LOL! I think the most strenuous thing she's done in a gym in the last 10 years is lifting her arms above her head while sitting on a yoga ball :LOL:

In my semi-retirement/part time life, today:

--5:30 dogs tap dancing to go outside. Told them to go back to bed
--7:00 dogs insisted I take them out. Got up.
--7:15 ate milk and figs for breakfast, while checking out this site and my email
--7:45 bs'd with DH for a while.
--8:00-9:30 took a dog for walk along lake superior and for a couple of swims. Water too cold for humans
--9:45 -11:30 worked on yard
--11:30 checked out this site, ate black bean soup DH made for lunch (um, um), called friend to confirm Mpls visit on Sunday, checked out this site and my email, bs'd with DH.
--afternoon lost track of time. Did some more yard work. Went to the grocery store. Finished a novel and started new one. Went and got a movie for tonight--Be Cool.
--5:30 had eggplant for supper. yum.
--6:00 on this site. Dogs licking my toes.

Martha said:

--5:30 dogs tap dancing to go outside.  Told them to go back to bed
--7:00 dogs insisted I take them out.  Got up.
--7:15 ate milk and figs for breakfast, while checking out this site and my email
--8:00-9:30 took a dog for walk along lake superior and for a couple of swims.  Water too cold for humans
--11:30 checked out this site, ate black bean soup DH made for lunch (um, um), called friend to confirm Mpls visit on Sunday,  checked out this site and my email, bs'd with DH. 
--afternoon lost track of time.  Did some more yard work.   Went to the grocery store.  Finished a novel and started new one.  Went and got a movie for tonight--Be Cool.
--6:00 on this site.  Dogs licking my toes. 

Nice day! It's been my observation that Lake Superior water is always
too cold for humans. Sure is pretty though.

Have not seen 'Be Cool'. It's on DW's list. I like Travolta, so assume we
will rent it.

JG

Martha said:

--5:30 dogs tap dancing to go outside. Told them to go back to bed
--7:00 dogs insisted I take them out. Got up.
--8:00-9:30 took a dog for walk along lake superior and for a couple of swims. Water too cold for humans
--11:30 checked out this site, ate black bean soup DH made for lunch (um, um), called friend to confirm Mpls visit on Sunday, checked out this site and my email, bs'd with DH.
--afternoon lost track of time. Did some more yard work. Went to the grocery store. Finished a novel and started new one. Went and got a movie for tonight--Be Cool.
--6:00 on this site. Dogs licking my toes.
Martha,
Are you vegetarian? My DW is and it looks like you are. Of course, this might not be your usual day's meals. I tried it years ago, but got to feeling poorly (I was running a lot at the time). Anyway, it's supposed to be healthy. Just wondering?

Not vegetarian (the black bean soup had bits of ham in it) but lean that direction.

Hey Eagle 43, I'm vegetarian, but my husband isn't (even though he doesn't eat red meat). I was just wondering how it works at your house. Do you cook meat yourself or does DW cook it for you (or both)? My husband it totally fine with no meat at home, but we eat out several times a week and he'll usually get chicken or fish there. Plus he cooks fish at home once a week or so.

Martha said:

--5:30 dogs tap dancing to go outside.  Told them to go back to bed
--7:00 dogs insisted I take them out.  Got up.
--8:00-9:30 took a dog for walk along lake superior and for a couple of swims.  Water too cold for humans
--11:30 checked out this site, ate black bean soup DH made for lunch (um, um), called friend to confirm Mpls visit on Sunday,  checked out this site and my email, bs'd with DH. 
--afternoon lost track of time.  Did some more yard work.   Went to the grocery store.  Finished a novel and started new one.  Went and got a movie for tonight--Be Cool.
--6:00 on this site.  Dogs licking my toes. 

Well, I rented 'Be Cool'. DW lasted 5 minutes. I made it 15.
Absolutely moronic.

JG

HaHa said:
Lifting weights makes me feel like I have done something also. Today I did 4 sets of 5 dead lifts with 225#. A few years ago I went heavier, but I hurt a knee and it has been a slow careful re-entry. I like to do some low power  light work or play after lifting; today I cut my grass.

I don't do any girlie-man body part stuff. Strictly deads, presses, cleans, chins and dips.

I play drums usually an hour or two almost every day. Sometimes more. One night a week I play with a bass player.

I also read quite a bit.

I would like to teach ESL, if it were handy to me. So far, the only opportunities I have heard about would require more driving than I like.

Ha

Hey, old timer. 225 lbs. is a pretty good pop. Be careful.
Like you, I have only worked with free weights.

Used to bench press some pretty heavy stuff, but won't try it anymore without a spotter. (My wife weighs ll5 lbs. and wouldn't be much help in that area. ;)

Seriously, be careful with those dead lifts. (Lots of pressure on your back).

Just think how many of your Salsa girl-friends you'd disappoint if you screwed up your back. :D

ex-Jarhead said:
Just think how many of your Salsa girl-friends you'd disappoint if you screwed up your back. :D

Jarhead, I didn't think of that. I need to think of my  responsibility to the beautiful women who depend on me.  :)

Actually, when I went to deadlifts, I bought a special bar called a trap bar. It's diamond shaped, and you stand in it, rather than behind it. It makes the movement more like a squat, but with a straighter back. Safety is why I do muiltiple sets of low reps- I feel I get less tired and am less likely to lose form.

BTW, I never could bench worth a darn.

Yours,

Ha

I am sure that before the internet, all us FiReD folk would be bored stiff. the amount of time we all spend on the computer appears to be quite a high. Personally I spend a few hours ad day. I have learnt to download free music, software etc. and that takes up a little time. Anything less than high speed, and I get sad. I have a dial up account for when I am on the road, but insist on HS in Hotels and rentals.

SWR

JG, We just rented "Love Song for Bobby Long," another Travolta movie. It was MUCH better than "Be Cool"

shiney said:
JG, We just rented "Love Song for Bobby Long," another Travolta movie.  It was MUCH better than "Be Cool"

Okay. Thanks. I am a bit worried though as I have never heard of it.
BTW, one of my rules for VCR movies is that the jacket must show
significant enthusiastic comments reprinted from columns and critics.
I still end up with some losers, but this system has never failed me.
After all, if they can't find SOMEONE to say positive things, how good can it be?

JG

Well, I don't remember if there were any recommendations on the box for "A Love Song for Bobby Long". We do have a Blockbuster pass right now, so admittedly we are not quite as picky as when we are paying per movie. But, if you are a Travolta fan it is interesting to see him gray-headed and kinda fat. Also, not to give to much of the movie away, he plays a smart guy who has become involuntarily ERed. (although not FI)

BTW, I'm not saying this is my favorite movie, just an interesting Travolta movie and so much better than Be Cool.

I just cleaned out the dishwasher. This is an example of something that a semi-retired person can do that a busy non-retired person cannot.

I spent an hour pulling little gunky things out of the various orifices inside the dishwasher. Gross but very rewarding. I was amazed at how many holes were clogged up. It's been working fine, but I bet it will work better now. Also, I've found that it cleans the dishes perfectly with only .5 teaspoons of dishwasher detergent.

TromboneAl said:
Also, I've found that it cleans the dishes perfectly with only .5 teaspoons of dishwasher detergent.

Careful Al. Next thing you know you'll be straining the broken glass out of your broken jar of peanut butter... ;)

REW

TromboneAl said:
I just cleaned out the dishwasher.  This is an example of something that a semi-retired person can do that a busy non-retired person cannot.

I spent an hour pulling little gunky things out of the various orifices inside the dishwasher.  Gross but very rewarding.  I was amazed at how many holes were clogged up.  It's been working fine, but I bet it will work better now.  Also, I've found that it cleans the dishes perfectly with only .5 teaspoons of dishwasher detergent.

No matter how much time I had on my hands, I can't see myself ever doing
this :)

JG

TromboneAl said:
I just cleaned out the dishwasher.  This is an example of something that a semi-retired person can do that a busy non-retired person cannot.

I spent an hour pulling little gunky things out of the various orifices inside the dishwasher.  Gross but very rewarding.  I was amazed at how many holes were clogged up.  It's been working fine, but I bet it will work better now.  Also, I've found that it cleans the dishes perfectly with only .5 teaspoons of dishwasher detergent.

Please tell me there is more to retirement than this!  :-\

Back
Top Bottom