What does your doctor tell you about eating eggs?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
Three different doctors have given me three different sets of advice about egg consumption, ranging from eat all you want to no more than three a week. I am going to see my cardiologist next week to try to get a straight answer.

Topic has never come up. I'm sure hoping your cardiologist says eat all you want as I eat about 2 a day.

When you ask your doc about the thought on eggs, the doc might say preference is sunny side up vs over easy :).

I haven't found doctors to be much use on nutrition, to tell you the truth. And the medical advice online is all over the map.

With elevated cholesterol (a familial thing), I limit myself to one omelet every two weeks, plus whatever eggs go into baked goods. Mr. A.'s cholesterol is naturally low at 153, so I cook eggs for him whenever he wants.

Not specific to eggs, but my doctor told me cholesterol from food is very minor unless you consume something to an extreme. Most cholesterol is in your genes.

Not specific to eggs, but my doctor told me cholesterol from food is very minor unless you consume something to an extreme. Most cholesterol is in your genes.

I agree with this statement. I eat very low fat diet and need to watch my cholesterol level.:(

It varies from 0 to 3 or 4. I can go weeks with no eggs, then crave them and have an egg sandwich for a few days in a row!
I rarely make them the way my dad did when I was growing up--crispy whites and runny yolk, fried in the leftover bacon or sausage fat--best fried eggs ever!

Over my lifetime, eat eggs, don't eat eggs, eat eggs in moderation, whites are healthy-yolks are not. If you don't like the answer you get, ask someone else, or wait a while and ask again. And most of the people you talk to will give you an answer with virtual certainty, whether it's your neighbor or cardiologist.

I doubt eat all you want is wise, but never eat eggs is obviously not necessary for 99.9% of us.

All things in moderation will probably work best...

During Covid lockdown, we went through a couple dozen eggs a week. Baking was part of it, but lots were scrambled, fried and made into cheese omelets.

We had to switch doctors in January, and our cholesterol was WAY elevated. Mine was dangerously high and I got put on statins, which I hated.

We visited with our local grocery store nutritionist, and her advice was no more than 3 eggs a week, which we've adhered to.

We followed a pretty strict low cholesterol (yucky) diet for a couple of months and combined lost the weight of a smallish person. Enough so that when my cholesterol was retested she took me off statins. And I went down 3 pant sizes. :)

My parents both had high cholesterol but also ate like farmers so if it's in my genes, it didn't surface until my mid-60's.

I agree that doctors are pretty useless when it comes to diet. I guess that's why God made nutritionists.

No discussion with docs about eggs specifically. Since going low carb a few years ago, my egg consumption has increased to at least a couple of dozen per week. If anything, my cholesterol numbers have improved slightly, so guess I am in the camp that believes cholesterol in the diet has little to do with blood cholesterol levels.

Any discussion around your dietary intake should look at the full picture, not any one item. 2 eggs per day might be great for most people, but part of something to reduce in others. If you already have tremendous arterial blockages, then a whole lifestyle change might be worth exploring.

I would not think well of any doctor who wanted to rule out any one or few foods without a complete picture of my diet, compared with my overall health. And any doctor who says "No one should ever eat [insert anything here]" would be off my list pretty fast.

Any discussion around your dietary intake should look at the full picture, not any one item. 2 eggs per day might be great for most people, but part of something to reduce in others. If you already have tremendous arterial blockages, then a whole lifestyle change might be worth exploring.

I would not think well of any doctor who wanted to rule out any one or few foods without a complete picture of my diet, compared with my overall health. And any doctor who says "No one should ever eat [insert anything here]" would be off my list pretty fast.

I agree completely. If I couldn’t eat eggs I’d be pretty upset. I’m intolerant of lactose and fructose, so I’m already pretty limited. There are many fruits and vegetables I can’t eat and some I have to limit. My cholesterol has been fine, but I was put on a strong statin after a cardiac calcium scan resulted in a 1,036 calcium score. I eat a lot of lean meats, some not so lean, but my cardiologist is fine with eggs.

What do you get if you line up all the doctors, nutritionists and dieticians in a row?

You reach 'no conclusion'.
'

I expected folks to mention , eating egg whites was fine.

When I make an omelet/scrambled eggs, I put in 1 yolk per person, and the rest are just the egg whites.

It's my little attempt at being healthier, without knowing what is true :facepalm:

At my last checkup, nine years ago, the physician said nothing about diet or eggs. My lab numbers were all good or better.

He asked why I came for a physical/work up (DW had been asking me for the last 5-10 years to so) and sent me home with a recommendation to take more vitamin D.

Not a peep about eggs...boiled, fried, or in soufles.

Last edited:
It varies from 0 to 3 or 4. I can go weeks with no eggs, then crave them and have an egg sandwich for a few days in a row!
I rarely make them the way my dad did when I was growing up--crispy whites and runny yolk, fried in the leftover bacon or sausage fat--best fried eggs ever!

That's how we make them, but make it only once in a while.

That's the only way I make 'em!

3916342557_4ef743c343_z.jpg

I would never think to ask my doctor about my diet, since they don't get much training in nutrition.

But DW and I go through close to two dozen eggs a week. We love 'em, cooked all sorts of ways. We consider them very healthy food and our lab results have never given us any reason to think otherwise.

During Covid lockdown, we went through a couple dozen eggs a week. Baking was part of it, but lots were scrambled, fried and made into cheese omelets.

We had to switch doctors in January, and our cholesterol was WAY elevated. Mine was dangerously high and I got put on statins, which I hated.

We visited with our local grocery store nutritionist, and her advice was no more than 3 eggs a week, which we've adhered to.

We followed a pretty strict low cholesterol (yucky) diet for a couple of months and combined lost the weight of a smallish person. Enough so that when my cholesterol was retested she took me off statins. And I went down 3 pant sizes. :)

My parents both had high cholesterol but also ate like farmers so if it's in my genes, it didn't surface until my mid-60's.

I agree that doctors are pretty useless when it comes to diet. I guess that's why God made nutritionists.

Sorry but IMO nutritionists aren't any better informed then docs. Can you tell me what your low cholesterol diet looked like?

The American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology dropped guidelines regarding cholesterol intake in 2013. The U. S. Dietary Guidelines dropped any recommendations regarding dietary cholesterol in its 2015-2020 guidelines, for lack of evidence.

So eggs are not evil in terms of cardiovascular health.

I eat eggs 3-4 days per week. DH has two scrambled eggs every day. His numbers are perfect. Mine need some tweaking, but are better when eating a ketogenic diet, so I’m back into dropping my carbs as low as I can, losing more weight, and trying to exercise which limits my diet to low carb, mostly animal-based, protein sources and a variety of low carbohydrate vegetables. It’s basically a Mediterranean diet without the grains and fruits, though limited berries are allowed. I make a variety of “breads” (keto flatbreads and rolls) on occasion which use powdered psyllium husks, and often egg whites. Fats in the diet are largely from my protein sources as well as olive and avocado oil.

Eggs are a fantastic source of protein on a keto diet.

Sorry but IMO nutritionists aren't any better informed then docs.

This. Went through all that crap last year with the heart attack. Reminded me of the sign on the Springfield Dentist's Office on the Simpsons. "No matter how you're brushing you're doing it wrong." No matter what your diet has been you should have been eating something else.

I eat at least 2 eggs every day. They are extremely healthful and nutritious. Cholesterol in food was officially dropped many years ago as a “nutrient of concern”. Your body easily makes as much cholesterol as it needs and cholesterol is an essential element for the body - precursor to many hormones, essential for cell walls, etc.

I’ve always eaten a lot of eggs and eat 4 eggs on most days, excluding eggs added to other foods. No cholesterol issues.

I eat very few eggs not that I don't like them we just don't. I can't remember when I made an egg to eat. Lol We will have pancakes, eggs and bacon maybe once every 6 to 8 weeks. I do get plenty of eggs in all the things my wife bakes thou. I would hate to guess how many.

My mother had high cholesterol and she only eat the whites. I'm not sure that really help all that much. She lived to 92 years old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom