What does your doctor tell you about eating eggs?

This link has what Dr. Joel Fuhrman says are optimal IGF-1 levels. Both low and high levels are associated with increased mortality. High IGF-1 is linked to cancer. Eggs can increase IGF-1 levels, so whether they are healthy or not for you may depend on your own IGF-1 levels and other biomarkers. Optimal IGF-1 Levels for Longevity | DrFuhrman.com

During Covid lockdown, we went through a couple dozen eggs a week. Baking was part of it, but lots were scrambled, fried and made into cheese omelets.

We had to switch doctors in January, and our cholesterol was WAY elevated. Mine was dangerously high and I got put on statins, which I hated.

Looking at evidence based medicine it seems that big pharma invented cholesterol issues then when evidence showed lower cholesterol didn't slow down deaths they invented the good cholesterol https://sebastianrushworth.com/2020/09/08/is-the-cholesterol-hypothesis-dead/

Eggs ROCK! Sugar & Flour are the culprits.

I love eggs, eat a dozen every week. Cholesterol has never been better.

But then I do my utmost to keep my sugar and flour consumption to a minimum. These are the things that spike such inflammatory reactions within our bodies.

Don

As I recall, saturated fat consumption was far more influential for cholesterol levels than egg consumption.

Three different doctors have given me three different sets of advice about egg consumption, ranging from eat all you want to no more than three a week. I am going to see my cardiologist next week to try to get a straight answer.

Never had the conversation but I do have high cholesterol for the first time- he says its cumulative.

Anyway, I eat what I want. I'm on 10 mg of Avortastatin. I don't eat eggs more than twice a week anyway.

Even Robbies china is BTD caliber! As for the eggs...not sure but when I was about to get the flu shot they asked if I was allergic.

Clearly not. when I am "bulking up" i can eat 3 to 4 scrambled eggs for breakfast everyday. I buy them by the double 30 pack when I am in the "lifting" mode. I pair that protein with a variety of others including lamb, tuna, chicken, granola, avocado, and even the special k protein cereal. My numbers are excellent but I am only 40 and stay very active (climb trees, cycle, volleyball, jump rope).

I think with everything moderation is probably the key. My DD is allergic to eggs which kind of limits the amount of eggs I have ever since she was born. DW is paranoid as she had a bad reaction once, so my egg intake has gone waaaay down but I still get decent results without them.

Each egg provides 6g of protein. This would be about 1/3 my protein intake for the day in "lift" mode sitting at ~160lbs. I hope they arent bad for you. In comparison an avocado has about 2.9g of protein but offers some other health benefits you can't get with eggs.

I don't know what everyone else said. I have been borderline high cholesterol my entire life. Eggs became cheap/er about 10 years ago and I have been eating 6 almost every night. My cholesterol hasn't changed until I finally let them talk me into getting on a statin (rosuvastatin).

The egg (whites) are a great source of protein. The yolks have lots on nutrients including some K2 which has been being investigated for reducing arterial calcium starting about 2015. There are lots of other amino acids and stuff we haven't figured out in those yolks that are good for you too.

It's pretty much a fact that dietary cholesterol is NOT a major source of blood cholesterol. Here's the part that rubs me wrong. Cholesterol is a SYMPTOM of hereditary or other problems. It's there to FIX your damaged/irritated veins/arteries. Science needs to actually gets REAL and starts focusing on the SOURCE of the problem/s. Science needs to stops relying on mostly STUDIES, and actually figure out the source of the problem. We do know that chemicals such as excess sugar, some pesticides and plastics cause some of this arterial damage/irritation.

Omelet anyone!

Three different doctors have given me three different sets of advice about egg consumption, ranging from eat all you want to no more than three a week. I am going to see my cardiologist next week to try to get a straight answer.

...the middle road is almost always best.

You might get a straight answer (his honest opinion) but it's guaranteed to be not the right answer

I took off some 45 pounds about 20 years ago, by eating less and exercising. Prior to then, my total cholesterol was 280. I learned to eat just egg whites when I ate eggs, but of course being sedentary and heavy were the more likely culprits.
After I lost the weight, total cholesterol would not budge below 220, so went on statins. Now all my numbers are good. I still eat egg whites only.....even with my bacon....because over time I lost the taste for "yellow" omelets. I eat eggs maybe twice a month.

I love eggs, eat a dozen every week. Cholesterol has never been better.

But then I do my utmost to keep my sugar and flour consumption to a minimum. These are the things that spike such inflammatory reactions within our bodies.

Don

Exactly! The culprit is processed foods.

My diet is 50% fat (including a lot of eggs,, 25% net carbs (mostly fruits and veggies), and 25% protein. At least 20gm of fiber/day. I’m the healthiest I’ve ever been. Total cholesterol is 157.

Here's is one doctor's opinion. I've been following Dr. Sigurdsson for years, and generally found him to be thoughtful. He is a cardiologist. Would I bet the farm or my life that he is always right? No. But, I read his articles with great interest.

This article addresses two key interests he has regarding LDL cholesterol.

https://www.docsopinion.com/lowering-ldl-cholesterol-diet-helpful/

Scientific evidence certainly shows a positive association between serum cholesterol and the risk of dying from cardiovascular disease (2,3,4).

It is also evident that LDL particles play a causal role in developing of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) (5).

Furthermore, a consensus panel of respected scientists recently concluded that any mechanism of lowering plasma LDL particle concentration should reduce the risk of ASCVD events proportional to the absolute reduction in LDL cholesterol (6).

But the same panel also concluded that this is true “provided that the achieved reduction in LDL cholesterol is concordant with the reduction in LDL particle number and that there are no competing deleterious off-target effects.”

I want to emphasize these two key issues:

• provided that the achieved reduction in LDL cholesterol is concordant with the reduction in LDL particle number
  • and that there are no competing deleterious off-target effects

Last edited:
I am a firm believer in the adage "Everything in moderation" if one is not allergic. I would add "A few things in excess". I find that "Everything in excess" is hard to keep up with in practice and would likely end the same way as "Everything excluded" from my diet.

We have 5 eggs per week along with bacon and English muffins with lots of real butter and honey. I also believe that we all die sooner or later, one way or another. I might as well enjoy life while I can.

According to the USDA, it is illegal to advertise eggs as healthy, nutritious, or even safe. If the egg industry can't overcome a US government agency on this, then I have to think the evidence is pretty strong against eggs. https://nutritionfacts.org/2015/03/26/peeks-behind-the-egg-industry-curtain/

It's even been suggested that eating an egg a day is comparable to smoking 5 cigarettes per day: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-vs-cigarettes-in-atherosclerosis/

But then in looking for the original Harvard study referenced in the link above, I found this: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/eggs/

Which takes the moderate approach suggested several times already and concludes:
The bottom line: While eggs may not be the optimal breakfast choice, they are certainly not the worst, falling somewhere in the middle on the spectrum of food choice and heart disease risk. For those looking to eat a healthy diet, keeping intake of eggs moderate to low will be best for most, emphasizing plant-based protein options when possible.

IMHO- For most folks it's OK to eat a few eggs occasionally, although for some it can bump their bad cholesterol (LDL). That difference is not too surprising considering that some people absorb 2-3 times more of the cholesterol they eat than others. And cholesterol is also produced by the body (liver), so for some folks eating less cholesterol might mean that their body just makes more.

Interestingly, cholesterol intake may have been linked to heart problems in early dietary studies because most foods high in cholesterol are also high in saturated fats. Eggs, however, are an exception.

FWIW- Recently (2015) the egg industry published a peer-reviewed article in an international nutrition journal recounting much of the half century long egg controversy titled "The Fifty Year Rehabilitation of the Egg".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4632449/pdf/nutrients-07-05429.pdf

I eat two eggs at least several times a week. Eggs are cheap and they are considered complete protein packed with essential amino acids. What not to like?

Doctors can't seem to decide if they are good for you or bad. I never got on the margarine bandwagon, and I've never got off my egg eating habit...

Nutritionists generally have been very reluctant to entertain alternative hypothesis and don't forget that the entire dietary misadventure (if it is such) was started by a physiologist epidemiologist (Ancel Keys) rather than a physician. It was a physician nutritionist (John Yudkin) who tried to point the finger at sugar.

Pretty much comes down to funding. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
The association is funded by a number of food multinationals, pharmaceutical companies, and food industry lobbying groups, such as the National Confectioners Association. The Academy has faced controversy regarding corporate influence related to its relationship with the food industry and funding from corporate groups such as McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Mars, and others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Nutrition_and_Dietetics
They also control certification of registered dieticians.

Not to mention that it was originally founded by the leaders in the Seventh Day Adventist Church which has very specific religious views on proper diet.

Last edited:
I just can’t believe people are still being warned against eating eggs everyday.

Nothing at all. Lab results at higher end of good. Weight under control.

We stopped eating processed foods, fried foods (other than eggs) when we retired ten years ago. Less red meat, more seafood, more poultry, veg, fresh fruit.

Seems to have done the trick. Eggs in everything from soufle to Pad Thai

He just told me to keep up the exercise and not to over indulge in the grape. NP.

Last edited:
Not specific to eggs, but my doctor told me cholesterol from food is very minor unless you consume something to an extreme. Most cholesterol is in your genes.
For the most part ingested cholesterol is not well absorbed into the blood stream. I would be more concerned about the role/pathway that simple carbohydrates play in the production of saturated fats leading to production of cholesterol.

I would never think to ask my doctor about my diet, since they don't get much training in nutrition.
Very true.

Cheers!

For the most part ingested cholesterol is not well absorbed into the blood stream. I would be more concerned about the role/pathway that simple carbohydrates play in the production of saturated fats leading to production of cholesterol.

Very true.

Cheers!

Yep, carbs/sugars will do more harm than cholesterol or fats in foods.

Back
Top Bottom