What DVDs have you seen recently?

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

10/10. I've never thought that Tarantino is as good as he thinks he is, but I've changed my mind. Totally engrossing, although there are a few scenes which seem to be purposefully slow, so that the tension builds up (first scene, for example).

It is uber violent in parts, and Lena just couldn't take it, and stopped watching at the first scalping. Entertaining and satisfying.

I thought the ending was particularly satisfying. To heck with historical accuracy. That part just felt good!

It wasn't a DVD . I went to the $1.50 movie to see Sex and the City 2 . It was better than the reviews but it's only for die hard Sex & the City fans and I hope it is their last . I really do not want to see a sequel titled Sex & Sun City where they are all in golf togs and hitting on guys with comb overs .

I saw Don McKay, which is not my speed generally, but starred Lowell of Wings (a show I LOVED) and it kept me watching.

I saw Don McKay, which is not my speed generally, but starred Lowell of Wings (a show I LOVED) and it kept me watching.

I really enjoyed him in that show too. But a friend of ours wrote a screenplay that Robert Duvall took and created Broken Trail from, and he said that Thomas Haden Church was a prima dona of the first degree. At least on that film. As an example, he said THC insisted on wearing his hat with the brim turned up so more of his face could be seen in the shots. :LOL:

Documentary - Between the Folds

Just watched and really enjoyed an instant view film on Netflix called "Between the Folds." It's a documentary about what I'd call extreme origami. It's amazing from several viewpoints, artistic, mathematical, and sociological.

Got a movie from Netflix through it's recommendations feature. Going off my enjoyment of Buckaroo Banzai (one of my favorites) they recommended Six String Samurai. IMO this is a perfect example of the cult movie effect. It goes "you can't make a cult movie intentionally". Even given my appreciation of the truly stupid, this one was over the top. Had some funny stuff, but overall I give it a 3/10.

There is a BBC (?) series on netflix instant view called "Doc Martin"
That i watched the first few episodes of this weekend that i liked. the link is:

Doc martin

Scott Pilgrim vs the World was awesome! Perfect for someone w/ a short attention span like myself.

Reactions: oma
I know this is a DVD thread and I hope it is not breaking the rules to post movies I've watched recently in the cinema - I love going to the cinema. Some notable movies I've watched are Inception and Salt. I thought Inception was exceptional. It reminded me a bit of Matrix and also I thought it was better than any of those 3D movies. It needed a bit of concentration to follow as there were a few times in the movie I was asking, "Hey, whose dream am I in now?" Salt is in my list of enjoyable movies too because I was happily surprised by it. It's good to see a female action star for a change.

At Redbox, I found "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo," the original version from Sweden. A hyped-up Amercian version is in the works, but I really enjoyed this Swedish production. Noomi Rapace, the actress portraying Lisbeth Salander, the girl with the dragon tatoo, is so good; and in the DVD bonus interview, she speaks flawless English. The remaining films in this trilogy are already out in the theaters -- I hope to see them all at Redbox.

Regarding recent movies, Winter's Bone was an excellent movie, with excellent characters and excellent acting.

"Public Enemies" starring Johnny Depp. Fantastic movie about John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd and associated thugs during the bank robbing era of post-Depression Chicago.
A must see! :D

There is a BBC (?) series on netflix instant view called "Doc Martin"
That i watched the first few episodes of this weekend that i liked. the link is:

Doc martin

You might want to check if your local PBS station is showing this series as that is where we first watched Doc Martin. Another you might want to check out is Kingdom with Stephen Fry.

This is worth watching.

Ballykissangel (TV Series 1996–2001) - IMDb

We got series three from the library. A little soap-operaish, and kind of a chick flick, but not bad.

0772_154621_TrueDareKissDERVLAKIRWANasPhil.jpg

Back
Top Bottom