What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

W2R, do the wheels seem like they would scratch wood flooring? I think my daughter would love one, having 5 children and a huge home. Of course, I can see the children going for rides in it. Hmmmm....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

static dissipation mat, specialized test probes, and Viralys for the cats. One's got the sneezes and weepy eyes. (Feline hepatitis; Lysine supplements help knock this down.)

I ordered a tiny St. Joseph statue to bury in the yard, so our house would sell. I'll let you know how it goes.

I love this thread, just have to say it. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I ordered a tiny St. Joseph statue to bury in the yard, so our house would sell. I'll let you know how it goes.

Really? I thought such traditions had gone by the wayside decades ago. I would like to see the effectivenes of St. Joe tested in a randomized controlled study.

Really? I thought such traditions had gone by the wayside decades ago. I would like to see the effectivenes of St. Joe tested in a randomized controlled study.

But you also have to control for the direction it is pointed in. There is a great deal of debate about that. :nonono:

-ERD50

My gosh, to keep up to date, I'd have to post on this thread an average of at least 2-3 times a week. :)

I won't succumb though! (Today, ChromeCast hardware, Saturday some books, Sunday some music....)

I just ordered a IPL hair remover device from Costco.com. It was a good price, and I am tired of painful shaving and waxing. TMI? Trying to eliminate shaving and waxing pain, time, and expenses is on my pre-retirement bucket list (things I want to spend money on before I retire, because I will be too frugal for the first several years after I retirement).

King soba gluten free buckwheat ramen noodles and a case for a Republic smartphone (free shipping)

Five polo shirts with pockets. The ones with pockets are often hard to find.

I ordered this laundry cart since the laundry room in my future house is pretty far from the master bedroom. I can also use it to bring in groceries from the car...

It's not a cheap cart at all, but I don't care! Fooey on frugality, this is my 67th birthday present from me to me... :dance:

Any thoughts about what you'll be giving yourself on your 68th birthday?:)

A laptop computer with Windows 7. I'm now prepared to outlast Windows 10!

I got this one;
Amazon.com : Acer Aspire NX.MFVAA.005 E1-532-4870 15.6-Inch Laptop : Computers & Accessories

I got the refurbished one for $279. I bought one last August and it's sweet, so I got another for DW who has a notebook that has been on it's last legs for a couple years now. By refurbished, they mean the reseller couldn't move the merch and it was sent back to the factory. It's as brand new as anything I've ever seen. Never been used or at least no sign that anyone has ever used it. Anyone looking for a laptop that has Windows 7 and darn reliable, this is great for web browsing, e-mails, SKYPE, quicken, etc. Probably won't run the newest high tech games, but I don't use a computer for that anyway.

If you buy one, fist thing; do not click on the McAfee and unload/remove it. If you activate, it will give you all sorts of malware. Also, delete SKYPE and install from their website as it's an old version and hard to get upgraded to the latest and greatest. Install FireFox or Google Chrome for your browser as IE is also prone to malware and spyware.

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire thread, so don't know if this has been addressed. But has anyone noticed that Amazon's prices are, in some/many(?) cases, higher than ordering direct from the company?

I tried to order a couple of travel pillows for DH as he's stuck in the non-reclining exit row on a biz trip to Paris early next week and needed a 2 day delivery date but got stuck in the Prime purchase and couldn't get out. After trying to find a phone number for Amazon, I gave up and went directly to the company's site to order the pillows. I ordered 2 pillows, one was $5 less and the other $7 less than Amazon's prices. Now I did have to pay $21 for 2 day shipping, but would have had to pay for 2 day shipping if ordered from Amazon, but probably not as much.

Same when ordering some rose gardening gloves a couple of months back. I went on the company's site to see if they had some more size options and discovered their prices were lower than Amazon's.

I assume these higher prices are to cover their 'free' shipping?

I ordered a new DVR solution to get rid of our Windows Media PC with extenders. I've been wanting to get rid of this solution for years, but was never able to find a good replacement.

This is the DVR that I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/Tablo-HDTV-An...?ie=UTF8&qid=1434077257&sr=8-1&keywords=tablo

And the USB drive to go along with it:
http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Port...&sr=8-1&keywords=western+digital+2tb+elements

A big plus is that it supports the Amazon Fire TV Stick, which means no more selecting other inputs on the TV (finally!).

The amazing part was that I ordered it this morning around 11:30am and it was delivered at 8pm, with no extra cost since I'm a prime member. Way to go Amazon.

I haven't read the entire thread, so don't know if this has been addressed. But has anyone noticed that Amazon's prices are, in some/many(?) cases, higher than ordering direct from the company?

I tried to order a couple of travel pillows for DH as he's stuck in the non-reclining exit row on a biz trip to Paris early next week and needed a 2 day delivery date but got stuck in the Prime purchase and couldn't get out. After trying to find a phone number for Amazon, I gave up and went directly to the company's site to order the pillows. I ordered 2 pillows, one was $5 less and the other $7 less than Amazon's prices. Now I did have to pay $21 for 2 day shipping, but would have had to pay for 2 day shipping if ordered from Amazon, but probably not as much.

Same when ordering some rose gardening gloves a couple of months back. I went on the company's site to see if they had some more size options and discovered their prices were lower than Amazon's.

I assume these higher prices are to cover their 'free' shipping?
Amazon usually beats, but not always. We always check.

I would agree that competitive pricing can make it worthwhile to do a price check against other retailers, in the past nextag.com was good for that, pricegrabber appears to be a similar service, and camelcamelcamel that I read about here provides an interesting look at Amazon's pricing history on specific items, sometimes I'd swear Amazon is competing with themselves.

Amazon usually beats, but not always. We always check.
And I'll pay a little more for not having to deal with creating a new login somewhere else and spreading my CC info in an even wider swath across the net. But then I'm not one to drive around parking lots trying to find the closest parking spot at brick & mortar stores, or drive across town to save a nickel either.

I use the "PriceJump" plugin/extension, which checks the AMZN price against the internet. Doesn't adjust for cost of shipping and sales tax, but will flag the item if it is available even for a few cents cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes, I buy AMZN regardless (close $$ and the shipping/ease may win), but it is an easy way to find out.

Someone here recommended camel camel camel, and that really helps when there are a number of different sellers of the same item on Amazon, to find the best price/shipping combo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom