What is the perfect month in which to retire?

In what month would you choose to retire, if your choice?

• Jan

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Feb

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Mar

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Apr

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • May

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Jun

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Jul

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Aug

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Sep

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Oct

• Nov

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dec

• I just want to retire!

Votes: 27 27.8%

• Total voters

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I'm someone who has recently left that other world that we all know, and have noticed that departures from work seem to be bunched into certain months of the year. I'm supposing much of that is dictated by things like spending one more day at the job in a new year for benefit reasons, or maybe contractual obligations, etc.

I left my job in mid-August, but I wouldn't have minded doing it in late spring (say, May). If you had no other constraints, when would you have (or hope to) take the next step?

I didn't care when it was, I just wanted out. I left on Dec. 1st 2006

I voted for Jan. My last day of w*rking was Jan 31st, so I actually retired in Feb. I do remember that the day I walked out the door of the office for the last time, snow was falling. The next day, there were about 3 inches of snow. It felt soooo nice knowing that I didn't have to fight the weather going to the office. Instead, I just layed my head back on my pillow and went to sleep with a big smile on my face!

I didn't care when it was, I just wanted out. I left on Dec. 1st 2006

+1

To me, the month wouldn't make much difference. I retired in November, and that was pretty nice with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up.

Actually I think any month would be pretty nice for retirement. For me, the first possible month was the best month to retire so that is what I did.

Any month would have worked for me. For DW, we are shooting for March/April, right after her annual bonus is paid and the last of her stock options vests.

Last edited:
When the UI runs out...:D
Second thought, need to maximize benefits, for example just after yearly bonus, or wait for rumored layoff.

Last edited:
I voted March because March 31 is when my contract runs out.

I voted for January. Have to be employed on the 1st. of the month or I don't get any employer 403b contributions,etc. for the past year

I retired in July, because that's when I got a package to leave, but in general I agree with January. My megacorp awarded the next year's vacation on the first day of the new year, so I would have gotten paid for an additional 6 weeks by leaving in Jan. Same with medical coverage. I would have gotten almost a whole extra year with my decreased costs by leaving in January. Just a good way to game the system.

I said October because I hate being cold. Main reason I want to early retire is to drive south in the winter.

I retired on May 1, primarily due to DW planning to retire the same month/year, on her birthday.

4+ years later, I'm still retired and DW isn't :facepalm: ...

Regardless of the date, it was still "my time" (tired of the BS at w*rk)...

When I was planning my ER in 2007-08, I was trying to figure out the best time of year to retire. There were several things I took into consideration.

(1) My annual bonus was in early April, so leaving in January, February, or March, for example, seemed silly because I would be forgoing that nice lump sum.

(2) My annual company stock allocation was in early January, so leaving in November or December seemed silly because I would be forgoing that nice lump sum although the number of new shares I received had declined quite a bit when I reduced my hours and cut my pay.

(3) Similar to (2), my company revised its stock value every 3 months, so I did not want to annouce my resignation just before a quarterly update in case they told me to leave before the update (which was almost upwards; the 3rd quarter 2008 update was down slightly, not a lot). BUT....when I reduced my hours to 12 per week, I became ineligible for any more annual share allocations, so this reason went away.

(4) Outside of work, my volunteer activities began late in the year, so I preferred to not have to revise my schedule even if I ended up with more days available to do those things.

(5) And, the thought of commuting on the trains to New Jersey in the winter, even 2 days a week, was more depressing than commuting any other time of year. So I wanted to leave before the cold weather began. Similarly, having to run around to do some legwork relating to the distribution of my retirement plan assets was more easily done in moderate weather.

Based on all of these factors, I chose October 31st to be my last day once the last pieces of my ER plan fell into place. This best captured all my needs and wants listed above, both financial and otherwise. :)

I picked Jun cause that's when I bolted. I was ready to go in Jan/Feb but my boss begged me not to, we agreed on Jun partly because I thought might as well wait til summer, why start retirement when I'm knee deep in snow. Of course that wouldn't apply further south...

If you are getting a significant severance package, and it works out for you, you would want to leave early in the year to smooth income taxes. Leaving at the end of the year would bunch the severance with almost an entire year's income, which could force you in that group associated with jet owners, and you will be taxed accordingly (still not enough according to many).

-ERD50

I 'retired' in the 20th century.....disassociated myself from the unsavory practice called w*rk.....the month was immaterial 'cause I didn't want to be there in the first place.

I voted October, DH's RSUs vest in mid Oct and day after we cash them in he is going to resign. He is leaving plenty on the table but time for us to move on.

Any month would have worked for me. For DW, we are shooting for March/April, right after her annual bonus is paid and the last of her stock options vests.

This is roughly the timeline for DW whenever the time comes. Around April 1 she will have received her annual 401k match, profit sharing match, and bonus, and pay increase with retroactive pay to 1st of year. Hard to pass up an amount that is roughly equal to 0.5 or 0.75 years of core ER expenses. :) Vacation time for the year is also accrued on Jan 1, so the month of March could consist of all vacation if we really wanted to squeeze every last ounce of charity out of DW's company.

A mid year ER date also means we probably wouldn't pay any income tax the year of ER (actually get a big refund) vs ERing late in the year.

Last edited:
Interesting results and comments so far... here's a pretty unscientific sample of retirement months for people in our ER community retiring this year culled from http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-class-of-2011-a-53912.html

Month|# Retired|Percent
Jan|10|17%
Feb|1|2%
Mar|6|10%
Apr|4|7%
May|8|14%
Jun|9|16%
Jul|12|21%
Aug|6|10%
Sep|0|0%
Oct|0|0%
Nov|2|3%
Dec|0|0%

I imagine the results are skewed toward the months of the year prior to now because a few people have said "put me down as such-and-such, I just retired last month".

Last edited:
The perfect month is the first month you run all the numbers and feel very confident it's going to work out.
And this poll seems to support that theory...

The perfect month is the first month you run all the numbers and feel very confident it's going to work out.
Actually, the numbers worked out 3+ years before I actually retired.

It was the decision of DW that "allowed" me to retire when I did (not when I could).

"If momma's not happy, nobody is happy :D "...

I retired March 1 and had three months of perfect weather. The guys I used to work with would always tell me I picked a great time to leave. Then the summer from hell hit in June now they tell me I REALLY picked a great time to leave. I don't miss being in a hot noisy power plant one bit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom