What is wrong with Ebay and Facebook Market Place?

Callitaday2022

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm trying to purge items, and in the past had great success selling on Ebay and Facebook Market Place.
I think they have changed their algorithms so if you don't pay to upgrade your listings, your items don't get any views. I get Facebook pushing upcharges as it's free, but Ebay charges around 13% of final price so you would think they'd want successful sales.
Have others noticed the same thing? Is it worth the up charge. I don't mind paying a % of sale, but hate paying, and then have items not sell.

I’ve sold everything we listed on eBay and FB in the last few months. I never pay to promote. Sometimes it’s just timing.

I sell regularly on eBay and I’m in several eBay Facebook groups. The promotion thing is a regular debate.

Personally I don’t promote my items and my sales are just fine. But it depends what you sell. If you’re selling common stuff with lots of competition, promoting can boost you in search. I sell vintage and collectible stuff so promoting isn’t nearly as important.

I hear you, Callit ! I was getting good results selling on Craigslist a few years ago, but now it is only good for selling cars, they say. So then I went to Facebook Marketplace, since it is free (except for the 'boost' which they hawk at you). Had some good sales on Facebook, I must say. Lately everything I put on there gets zero looks, and of course, zero responses too. Maybe just cuz it's stuff no one wants? When there is no interest in an item, it makes it easy for me to painlessly donate the item. That's the silver lining, lol.

I could tell when eBay changed this. I think it takes more patience now to sell on eBay. Most of my items do sell eventually. I do it more for entertainment and a great way to get rid of stuff.

Facebook Marketplace is more hit or miss in my area. I use it for things that are too big to mail and sometimes my jigsaw puzzles.

I hear you, Callit ! I was getting good results selling on Craigslist a few years ago, but now it is only good for selling cars, they say. So then I went to Facebook Marketplace, since it is free (except for the 'boost' which they hawk at you). Had some good sales on Facebook, I must say. Lately everything I put on there gets zero looks, and of course, zero responses too. Maybe just cuz it's stuff no one wants? When there is no interest in an item, it makes it easy for me to painlessly donate the item. That's the silver lining, lol.

I have never been “hawked at” to promote a listing on Facebook. I didn’t even know you could and I have sold 80% of what I have listed. Just recently a $1600 bike.

I'm trying to purge items, and in the past had great success selling on Ebay and Facebook Market Place.
I think they have changed their algorithms so if you don't pay to upgrade your listings, your items don't get any views. I get Facebook pushing upcharges as it's free, but Ebay charges around 13% of final price so you would think they'd want successful sales.
Have others noticed the same thing? Is it worth the up charge. I don't mind paying a % of sale, but hate paying, and then have items not sell.

Frequent seller on Facebook MP with over 30 listings or more at any time. I never pay extra to boost listings , however they push me to regularly. I still get lots of views and everything eventually sells for me. It’s just a matter of finding the item’s true market price. If I don’t get lots of views it simply means I priced it too high. I lower everything 10-20% every 3-4 days until they sell.

The key to selling on ebay is having a very descriptive title since that what's people search on. Sometimes I'll even throw in a few extra key words misspelled on purpose since you need to mirror what Joe Six Pack is going to do on a search.

Back
Top Bottom