What is your mutual fund breakdown?

Are you Ben Stein? Why would Ben's AA recommendation be of interest to you?

I'm sitting at about 50/50. Age 73.
the thing is that there'll always be a guru proclaiming he has the magic mix without knowing me or my risk tolerance. Schwab recommends:
  • 110 - AGE = STOCKS
I don't listen to them either as my disposable cash target is 60% of COLA adjusted pension (as the 1st FIRE yr comes to an end that's proving to be more of 75% of pension)

Last edited:
We are 60/35/5 and I don't see us ever changing.... once sequence of returns risk is not much of a worry it will be replaced by concerns over inflation and when we get over that hump the net effect is that we will be investing for our heirs and 60/40 isn;t all that bad for them either.

I have two AAs from my mutual funds. The AA of the taxable account, designed for income production (to get me from age 45 to 60), is 61/36/3 in favor of bonds (bond funds). The AA of the IRA, designed more for some growth, is 52/47/1 in favor of bonds (bond fund). Overall, the AA is 58/40/2.

I have been doing some small, gradual rebalancing from stocks to bonds over the years but for different reasons.

We have somewhere around 50/50 stocks/bonds in mutual funds. But then I would have to add in a good amount of cash and a variety of individual stocks.

Cheers!

50/50

Stock: Mainly midcaps with a tilt towards the value side of things. A sprinkling of some large caps (SP500) and some small cap value. We have several accounts (HSA, my rollover IRA, my wife's rollover IRA, a taxable account, a deferred comp account, and current 401K), so the exact mix in each account depends on what's available

Bonds: About 2/3 intermediate treasury and about 1/3 inflation indexed (either TIPs or IBonds). Total Bond in a couple of accounts because that's what's available.

Age 56, DW is 57. At least 3 years from retirement....

I have two AAs from my mutual funds. The AA of the taxable account, designed for income production (to get me from age 45 to 60), is 61/36/3 in favor of bonds (bond funds). The AA of the IRA, designed more for some growth, is 52/47/1 in favor of bonds (bond fund). Overall, the AA is 58/40/2.

I have been doing some small, gradual rebalancing from stocks to bonds over the years but for different reasons.

A good way to describe your AA so there is no confusion, is to follow the convention of Equity/Fixed/Cash. (If only two numbers are given, then i'ts Equity/Fixed + Cash) Using this order is a common convention and eliminates the need to specify which is which.

Mine is approximately 61/38/1, similar to yours.

At age 64 72/23/5

But I feel I can be more aggressive since I have a military pension and once both start taking SS our daily needs will be practically met. In addition about 30% of the stocks are in fairly stable utility stocks.

The only mutual funds are in DW’s 401k. Everything else is stocks, CDs and real estate. The only exception are $140k in treasury notes and I-Bonds, which is a small percentage of the total. Life is good and we’ve been using our charitable donations.

60/40 at age 59 seems to meet my risk tolerance, but Mr. Market hasn't given us a sound ass kicking since I've retired....

At 74:

66% equities, 22% Bonds, 12% Cash

Will be re-balancing to a lighter equity position (50%) after 1/1/18.
Just curious. Why not rebalance now if you are so far from what you think your AA should be?

65 years 'young':
45% stock funds (US, Int'l small, REITs, Health Sector)
35% bond funds (Intermed Corp, Hi Yld)
20% Sh. term corp bond fund

At 67 about 65/35. Annuity value represents the FI portion so actual portfolio is all equity. All individuall names no ETF’s or heaven forbid mutual funds. Dividend growth strategy on equities.

Last edited:
64 years old..

I have two mutual funds, Vanguard's Wellsely and Wellington funds, which I hold in a combined ratio so that essentially I allocated thusly:

Stocks: Bonds: Cash: 45:50:5

I have run a bunch of calculators and the results don't vary much from 40:60, to 60:40...

When the "Big Correction" hits, I will likely rebalance to something closer to 50:50 (with some cash still handy). But it doesn't really matter.

64 years old..

I have two mutual funds, Vanguard's Wellsely and Wellington funds, which I hold in a combined ratio so that essentially I allocated thusly:

Stocks: Bonds: Cash: 45:50:5

I have run a bunch of calculators and the results don't vary much from 40:60, to 60:40...

When the "Big Correction" hits, I will likely rebalance to something closer to 50:50 (with some cash still handy). But it doesn't really matter.

^ Basically the same as above with two exceptions:

Age 70.

When the "big correction" hits I don't plan to do anything...other than worry.

I'm 56, DW 57. I've been retired 4 years, DW just 1. AA is in my signature. It's basically 70/30 if you include real estate as equity, plus a very small amount of cash. We have 2 small pensions. If I count the NPV as "fixed income", we're right at 50/50. So I've thought about ditching bonds altogether, which would take us back up to 65/35 using that measurement methodology. I'm just not ready for 100% equities. Even though we rely on the portfolio less than some here, we still like the stabilizing effect of bonds.

All ETFs... equity side is primarily VTI with a scattering of other things, mainly international (VXUS) and high-dividend (VYM). Similarly, the fixed income side is mainly AGG with some corporate (LQD), high yield (HYG), and international (BNDX). Real estate is a mix of VNQ and some rental properties.

I'm 90 / 10 at age 42. Breakdown as follows:

2017q3PoFPortfolio.png

About a year away from the big jump. 53% equity, 43% bond, 4% cash.
Just a few years back we had 60% or more in stock mutual funds.
As someone mentioned already, the correct allocation for another individual depends on several factors.

I am positioned very defensively right now at 80% cash. stocks and bonds each at 10% of the investable portfolio.

No individual stocks, no alternative investments, no junk bonds.

A combination of active allocation funds and index allocation funds.

Preservation of capital is top priority.

Last edited:
Currently we are at 72/19/9. Equities are 60 domestic and 12 foreign.
We are both 65, if that matters. Even at our age, we are looking at the long term. We are planning on 30+ more years to go. Only time will tell if we chose wisely.....

age 60
55/40/5 equities/bonds/cash

Was 60/35/5 for the past three years or so but earlier this year I got both skittish about the stock market and more honest with myself about how much of a correction I could tolerate. I'll still gnash my teeth and tear at my clothes when the correction comes, but somehow moving 5% made me feel the weeping may be lessened.

cash - 10.37%
bonds - 28.85% (bsv, biv)
stocks - 50.91% (vti, vgk, vpl)
reit - 9.87% (igr)

age 65------was 50/50 , now about 43/52 /5 cash over the last week . . the party was great , but now i cut back a bit .

basically 2 portfolio's make up that allocation . an income model which is 75% less volatile than the s&p 500 and is about 75% assorted bond funds and 25% dividend equity fund .

the other is a 60/40 growth and income model .

I RE'd in March at 57. I reduced from 61% equities to 60 in February, and to 59 last week. Targeting 55 if the market keeps rising.

Back
Top Bottom