What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I don't eat any bread at home in plastic bags. Exception is a loaf of whole brain bread that some delivery outfit delivered to our front door instead of the intended recipient. And then only if there's no other bread in the house!

You eat brains? The zombie apocalypse has begun!

I don't eat any bread at home in plastic bags. Exception is a loaf of whole brain bread that some delivery outfit delivered to our front door instead of the intended recipient. And then only if there's no other bread in the house!

You eat brains? The zombie apocalypse has begun!

Heh, heh, I've been tying to force myself to offer a little grace for spelling errors. I find that between my fumble thumbs and the blinkety-blank built in spell corrector here, I end up with some fairly ridiculous prose from time to time. I do try to read all my posts before sending, but I still miss a doozy once in a while.

Years ago, I was a presenter at the national meeting of an organization I belonged to. In the audience must have been close to 1000 of my peers from all over the world because my topic was a "hot" one that year. Actually, it was THE hottest topic that year.

I must have checked and rechecked my slides 5 time and had my management check them as I ran through my slides/presentation. SURE enough, half way through the slides I saw an egregious error.:blush: I just had to go on and hope no one else saw it. Thankfully, they didn't.

It's truly amazing that a bakery that is good at making French bread does not know that plastic bags are BAD for the bread. Actually, in the old days (see old paintings of bread being carried home) bread was never wrapped at all! I don't recommend that, but the best compromise is an open paper bag (IMHO so YMMV.)

French bread in our local bakeries is often sold without any bag. You pick it up last at the store. After paying you just balance it on your shoulder and off you go, as you describe.

I've never seen my cajun DW madder than when she picked up a hot French bread at our grocery and the checkout lady picked it up and squeezed it saying how soft it was. She got a proper dressing down.

French bread in our local bakeries is often sold without any bag. You pick it up last at the store. After paying you just balance it on your shoulder and off you go, as you describe.

I carry my baguette in a daypack. When I walk home I can reach back grab the baguette, tear off a piece to eat, and slip the baguette back into the daypack. I saw a several Frenchmen doing that in Paris. Often the baguette never makes it home.

I carry my baguette in a daypack. When I walk home I can reach back grab the baguette, tear off a piece to eat, and slip the baguette back into the daypack. I saw a several Frenchmen doing that in Paris. Often the baguette never makes it home.

Sort of the French equivalent of our french fries, which get eaten in the car on the way home.

Home inspectors, I’ve had 2 recent inspections on our house for sale. First one the buyers backed out and decided to build. Going through second offer & inspection now. Both inspectors found minimal problems that were corrected or are being corrected. But it seems these guys are either incompetent, blind, or liars. Both of them put items down as needing correcting that were not factual. In both cases the buyers were not present so only had the report to go on. BTW our house is 9 years old and in very good condition, I fix anything that needs done as soon as I see a problem.
Our listing agent doesn’t want us to be here for the inspection but if this sale falls through I’m very tempted to be here to follow the inspector around and question him on “questionable” items.
After our house does sell I’m considering filing a complaint with our state board and have pictures of the items in question. AARRGGHHHHH. It seems their mission in life is to sour a sale rather than to protect the buyer.

I've never seen my cajun DW madder than when she picked up a hot French bread at our grocery and the checkout lady picked it up and squeezed it saying how soft it was. She got a proper dressing down.

Your story reminds me of a time when we did group lunches at work a few times a month. The restaurant always served a loaf of very warm soft bread to every table. One lady in our group always grabbed the bread in a death grip, squeezed it down to half its size, and hacked it into ragged chunksn.

Of course, she did not eat bread. She did this because she liked “the smell of fresh bread.” But, the rest us go to stare at the cold, deformed, and now unsanitary loaf. After this happened several times some of us took on the job of intercepting the loaf before it hit the table.

Last edited:
I read a lot, and so I often look at book descriptions on the Internet or Facebook. Difficult to believe that EVERY single book is a best seller, or 'the best book I've ever read', or 'you won't be able to put it down', or 'I stayed up all night to finish it'. Maybe just describe it and add your thoughts without going overboard. Not EVERY book is a best seller. (sounds like I'm being picky, I know)

Home inspectors, I’ve had 2 recent inspections on our house for sale.

+1 on those.

Back in the late '70's my then-wife and I hired home inspectors for two different houses. The first sale fell through and we bought the second one. The thing that irritated me was that neither home inspector told me a thing that I didn't know already i.e., "the average life of a refrigerator is 12 years". I considered both of them a waste of time/money.

So after the divorce when I went to buy a house on my own, I did my own home inspection. Seventeen years later I called the same real estate agent to sell that house (I liked her ethics, and told her so) and she told me that in 30+ years of selling/buying houses, I was the only one who had done his own home inspection. And yes, I brought a ladder and went up in the attic to look for wet spots under the roof and a bunch of other stuff. I'd written up a checklist of things to look for.

Sort of the French equivalent of our french fries, which get eaten in the car on the way home.

But don't ever call them FRENCH fries in Belgium. They insist they invented them, and maybe they did. I have seen stories both ways.

I've started using square drive screws and even better Robertson drives from Canada.

I've started using square drive screws and even better Robertson drives from Canada.

And even better Torxs (generic name is Star Screw).

I thought they were a gimmick, until I had to install some cabinets that came with these screws. The difference was almost unbelievable, they really resist 'cam out' (slipping of the driver in the screw).

I'm sold, If I can find them in the size I need, I buy star drive.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/start drive GRK wood screws
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GRK-Fas...i-Purpose-Wood-Screw-70-Pack-103137/203533431

-ERD50

Crappy Phillips screws and screwdrivers.

Very often the "cure" for that is to invest in a set of Japanese Industrial Screwdrivers (JIS). Visually they are almost indistinguishable from Phillips but they "lock in" like you wouldn't believe until you've tried them. Of course they work best with the JIS screws, which are not designed to "cam out" like Phillips screws are.

A motorcycle mechanic suggested that I buy a set for my bike and I was astonished and very pleased at the difference. Although I don't have the motorcycle anymore I still find them very useful for anything made in a foreign country, mostly R/C airplanes.

The JIS screwdrivers do tend to be pricey, but I think they're worth every nickle.

This isn't exactly a pet peeve - - it's more of an "anti-peeve" I suppose.

As I grow older, I have found life to be SO MUCH MORE FUN every day than it was in my youth. But you see, there's a catch - - there are fewer days ahead, the older I get.

It's as though there is a finite amount of fun that I can have and now it's divided up among fewer days than it was 50 years ago.

No fair!!! :ROFLMAO: Oh well, my 90's should be really rollicking. :dance: Yee-hah!

As I grow older, I have found life to be SO MUCH MORE FUN every day than it was in my youth. But you see, there's a catch - - there are fewer days ahead, the older I get.

It's as though there is a finite amount of fun that I can have and now it's divided up among fewer days than it was 50 years ago.

No fair!!! :ROFLMAO: Oh well, my 90's should be really rollicking. :dance: Yee-hah!

I think you are rollicking now young lady. My DW has mentioned some of the places she is wanting to go in the future & N.O. is one of them. If I can't get that notion out of her head and she drags me down there I would love to meet up with you and F:)rank for a cuppa joe or just a say hello!:)

I think you are rollicking now young lady. My DW has mentioned some of the places she is wanting to go in the future & N.O. is one of them. If I can't get that notion out of her head and she drags me down there I would love to meet up with you and F:)rank for a cuppa joe or just a say hello!:)

Aw, I am flattered! But as other forum members can confirm, we never meet anybody from here or other online sites in real life. I guess we read too many stories about crimes and such (and Frank used to be in law enforcement before his engineering career, so he has seen a lot of bad stuff back in the day and worries about me). But anyway, I hope the two of you have a wonderful time in our beautiful city! :D:dance:

Love it! I hope to be around to read about your rollicking 90's!

Reactions: W2R
Myself, and Youth

Myself: Because I know I'm into reverse ageism. In some cases- I and dismissive or annoyed the I feel someone in a position of respect - when I don't feel the life experience warrants it. Namely - I see some guest contributors on CNBC and I readily admit - they have more education and smarts than my butt does, with my high-school diploma being my highest level of academia lol.

And every time I see a young, photogenic woman on CNBC - I admit - part of me shakes my head and sadly, I wonder "hmmm now how did she land that job". I have a 14 year old daughter - and I DON'T want people to have the mindset that I sadly do. But I don't feel it's blanket chauvinism on my part. On that network is Jenny Harrington - Stephanie Link - Liz Young - I strain to listen to every single word they have to say. I love their experience, their thought process, their ability to make a point. Do I feel they are always right? NOBODY is. But I feel they have experience and gravitas. Just now on CNBC - it was yet another example - I won't mention names. Young - in her mid 30s. So I look up the LinkedIN:

NYU - BA economics. Ok, great school. Bachleor's Degree.

2010-2012: Marketing Intern at Def-Jam Music. Marketing Intern at WABC.

2013 - Marketing'Finance intern - 7 months.

2014: Financial advisor for 9 years. I'm sorry, if I got a few million bucks, and I walk into some advisors office and its her - in the back of my mind I'm thinking "geez, maybe discuss the Chipotle Menu, sure. But advise me on finance? HOW?"

Nowadays - "Senior Wealth Advisor" and on CNBC talking about 'tailwinds' and 'headwinds' about the Chinese economy and various stocks.

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm. calling myself out. But I'm sorry.....I want to see some gray hair when it comes to weighty stuff. And where that isn't the case - I want to see real true expertise and experience.

I guess I was raised in a culture that respects older age - and it rubs off a bit - in some arenas - not all.

I guess I was raised in a culture that respects older age - and it rubs off a bit - in some arenas - not all.

You would fit in here in Hawaii. We value and revere advanced age. Elders are looked up to and respected. Family members typically consult the elder before making significant life choices.

We also celebrate and coddle our children. It's all the Island way.

The Alaska natives and northwestern Canadian natives both value and respect their elders. In Carcross, Yukon DW and I were invited to an end of school year banquet. We had befriended a young lady at the First Peoples visitor center who invited us. I was pleasantly surprised when 2 young men, maybe 13 or so, brought us our plates. The family we were sitting with explained their customs. Very impressed with the reverence shown by the younger generation.
Best senior discount I've ever had!

I don’t know whether to be annoyed with Apple or FedEx.

On May 11 I ordered an Apple Watch to replace my Series 4 with very poor battery life. I am leaving on a six-day biking trip this Sunday 5/21, and want the new watch for activity tracking. My current watch battery will not last the number of hours that I will be riding in a day.

The May 11 order was estimated to be delivered on 5/12. It didn’t arrive, and the tracking info indicated it made it to TN on 5/11 and hasn’t been seen since. I called Apple on 5/15; their solution was to “return” the lost item and order a replacement. The replacement was estimated to arrive on 5/16. According to the FedEx tracking, the package made it to the FedEx hub in Indianapolis on 5/15, but there has been no update since then.

I just called Apple again and was told that they cannot start a shipping inquiry until/unless it doesn’t get delivered tomorrow (Friday). I hope it comes tomorrow but I’m not at all confident that it will.

It looks like I won’t be able to track my riding next week. That’s a shame since I’ll be putting in multiple 35-40 mile days that I won’t get “credit” for on Strava.

Back
Top Bottom