What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

People who post in forums and quote the entire previous post. Then other posters do the same thing. Especially those with multiple pictures.
Sometimes there might be 100+ lines of the same quotes then something like "yeah I agree."
And it happens here too often. You know who you are. BTW get off my lawn!

Years ago, I put electrical tape over 98% of the led showing on an irritating device.

Since then, a smart person came up with "LED Dimming Stickers"
We have fan timer switches in both of our bathroom with LEDs bright enough to use the room at night without flipping the light switch.

Not sure if that is good or bad, though it does require keeping that door closed at night.

Our pet peeve. Pension payments and retirement account draws turn up in the checking account with less certainty time-wise than paychecks did.

I don't know when things changed, but Amazons search results have become completely useless.

One example, a search for "nvme ssd 2tb" brings up not only nvme drives, but SATA drives, and external too. It also lists 500gb and 1tb drives despite specifying what size I was looking for. Limiting the price to $150 still shows multiple drives over $150. Change to view by "Average customer review" and all the filters I had picked are gone.

Amazon used to have a decent search system, but it's basically worthless now. NewEgg has a far better search system if you're trying to find a computer part.

It's also irritating that 90% of what I find on Amazon is multiple Chinese knockoffs of the same thing. Nine or ten items that look exactly the same except for different company names. Clothing and household goods are the worst for this, though I see it with power stations and other electronic items too. Finding anything that isn't poorly made is becoming increasingly difficult.

I don't find searching Amazon too bad but one thing that I don't like is that while you can sort by price, you cannot (as far as I can tell) sort by unit price for food and supplements. -This is the same for all grocery places I have tried (I really only order delivery if there is a coupon/CC cash back that makes it cheaper).

People who reply to “thank you” with “no problem.”

Yeah, I've caught myself doing that a few times and I cringe every time. So many people do it that I'm picking up the habit - thanks for reminding me not to do it.:blush:

Megacorp allowing company-benefits "experts" to w*rk from home. In theory, if they can answer my questions, I don't care if they're on the moon. Last two times I called about benefits, I was shunted to a "home office." First one, the girl's dog barked the whole time. Just today, I called and was sent to another home office. The phone picked up and I could hear a dog barking but no one came on the line. I yelled "hello!" as loud as I could - but only a barking dog answered me. Eventually, I could hear a muffled interaction between dog and owner (apparently) - and apparently it was time for a "walk." I could hear a door opening and closing and no more barking dog. It had taken me 12 minutes and two password texts just to get this far. So, I had to hang up and start all over. But I'm not bitter.:angel:

Well, to be honest...the dog probably offered the same level of service you would have gotten from the person. :D

People who post in forums and quote the entire previous post. Then other posters do the same thing. Especially those with multiple pictures.
Sometimes there might be 100+ lines of the same quotes then something like "yeah I agree."
And it happens here too often. You know who you are. BTW get off my lawn!

I'm on the fence about this... longer posts very often include some context...I've had more then a couple shall we say bully type posters who will take a few words out of a long post and use it as a club..reply in a mocking tone.

I don't think that's cool and for longer threads in particular I prefer to the show the post in total. I think it's more respectful.

Well, to be honest...the dog probably offered the same level of service you would have gotten from the person. :D

When I reached the next person "Martha" I'm not sure where she was. It wasn't a boiler room, so it may well have been at her home. She was able to help me do exactly what I wanted. Who knew?

Same question.... what is wrong with it?

Possibly it's hearing "you're welcome" for 70+ years.

Or, maybe "no problem" makes me think "well, there COULD be a problem - but there wasn't this time. Now, NEXT time, all bets are off."

It's not really a biggie, but it's still a peeve though YMMV.

I usually say "It was my pleasure" and occasionally "You're welcome." I don't believe I have ever said "No problem." I'm not sure when that became common.

Last edited:
I have said "no problem" when the thank you was in relation to the person's perception that they caused a problem for me. For example, recently I paused pulling into a parking space to wait for a women who had kids to put the last of her groceries in the car and get her young kids (who were helping her) into the minivan. After the door was close and she was in her car I pulled in. When I got out she rolled down her window and said "I'm sorry I delayed you. Thank you for being so patient". I replied "No problem, I know what it is like from my distance past to manage shopping with little kids, you have a great day!". It made her smile and be happy, which is what mattered.

People who reply to “thank you” with “no problem.”

When I was w*rking, the younger folks would say this. At first it bothered me, although not sure exactly why, but I got used to it and doesn't bother me at all now. Guess I'm more enlightened. :D

I say ‘no problem’. I don’t ever say ‘addicting’

Does that make me middle aged?

Possibly it's hearing "you're welcome" for 70+ years.

Or, maybe "no problem" makes me think "well, there COULD be a problem - but there wasn't this time. Now, NEXT time, all bets are off."

It's not really a biggie, but it's still a peeve though YMMV.

Right. “You’re welcome” means “I am happy to have assisted you with whatever I have to help us all get through this thing called life just a little bit more easily. Have a great day.”

“No problem” says “To earn money I have to be inconvenienced every day by coming in here to do this service job, while I’d rather be playing video games that my parents pay for, but since you said ‘thank you’, I’ll attempt faux politeness and mutter the barest concession possible to let you know that helping you today actually didn’t suck that badly for me, who is, obviously, the person who matters most in this thing called life.”

Last edited:
I usually say "It was my pleasure" and occasionally "You're welcome." I don't believe I have ever said "No problem." I'm not sure when that became common.

I do the same. My children say “you’re welcome” to me but “no problem” to each other and in general. It seems to me “no problem” serves the same purpose as “you’re welcome”

A dozen posts and counting on the use of the term "no problem".

And some of you wondered what you'd do with all that free time once you were retired...

A dozen posts and counting on the use of the term "no problem".

And some of you wondered what you'd do with all that free time once you were retired...

Attachments

• 2DD9C3DA-CC15-4AC8-90C7-E094967F8154.gif
    2DD9C3DA-CC15-4AC8-90C7-E094967F8154.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
Just perpetuating bad Spanish! Ha ha.

Technically a late boomer, but culturally I must be some kind of bridge because a) I hadn’t really noticed and b) I routinely use both myself.

Last edited:
Right. “You’re welcome” means “I am happy to have assisted you with whatever I have to help us all get through this thing called life just a little bit more easily. Have a great day.”

“No problem” says “To earn money I have to be inconvenienced every day by coming in here to do this service job, while I’d rather be playing video games that my parents pay for, but since you said ‘thank you’, I’ll attempt faux politeness and mutter the barest concession possible to let you know that helping you today actually didn’t suck that badly for me, who is, obviously, the person who matters most in this thing called life.”

Ha ha. Very in depth analysis.:D I think it's likely more just a generational thing. I sometimes reply to a thanks with "sure, anytime". Wonder what that actually means.

Chik-fil-a relies on proper etiquette as part of their successful business model. For those who are customers, don’t you feel great when the teenager replies with “my pleasure!” when you thank them for your bag of food? You think, “Wow, that’s how it ought to be done.” And have you ever once heard a Chik-fil-a kid mutter “no problem”? No, you have not, ever, because that thriving business understands the importance of manners and trains employees accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom