What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

USPS tracking on the day of the delivery. We have two separate shipments scheduled to arrive today. Early this morning, both tracking numbers indicated a delivery time between 11:15am and 2:15pm.

Just a few minutes ago, they changed to between 11:45am and 2:45pm. I suspect once we get past 11:45am, they will change to between 12:15pm and 3:15pm. Many times, they will change to "By 6:45pm". Why bother with the expected delivery timespans if USPS is going to keep changing them?

For those times I have been monitoring the tracking often, they almost always change the delivery timespan. Part of the reason for watching the tracking closely is the mail delivery box for our neighborhood is a bit of a walk away.

Last edited:
Social Security's website. Once again, my attempts to log in are met with a message of being unable to access the website despite having the correct username, password, and 2FA pin. It is really hit or miss. Late last week, I was able to log in, checking on the status of my SS application.

Since I hadn't heard back yet and it's been three weeks since I initially submitted the applitcaion, I tried logging in this evening (two different browsers, with separate 2FA pins), but was not successful. Ugh! :mad::(

Social Security's website. Once again, my attempts to log in are met with a message of being unable to access the website despite having the correct username, password, and 2FA pin. It is really hit or miss. Late last week, I was able to log in, checking on the status of my SS application.

Since I hadn't heard back yet and it's been three weeks since I initially submitted the applitcaion, I tried logging in this evening (two different browsers, with separate 2FA pins), but was not successful. Ugh! :mad::(
We're sorry but this program has terminated unexpectedly.

I am completely jinxed when it comes to accessing the SS website. Same damn message this morning.

We're sorry but this program has terminated unexpectedly.

I am completely jinxed when it comes to accessing the SS website. Same damn message this morning.

Have you tried a different browser, sometimes that works for me, though I have not had that problem in the SS website.

Also, turn off your VPN if you have one.

Have you tried a different browser, sometimes that works for me, though I have not had that problem in the SS website.

Also, turn off your VPN if you have one.
Two different browsers. No VPN. I get that message often, as in more times than not.

Edit: I was finally able to get through. My application for SS, submitted January 9th, appears to still be in the review state (step 2 of 3). No requests (email, snail mail, phone) have been made for additional information.

Last edited:
At the risk of being critical to this board and it's fine members, I really hate the DW, DH, DS, DD nonsense.

Wife, husband, son, daughter.

It's not that hard.

/puts on flame proof jacket/

At the risk of being critical to this board and it's fine members, I really hate the DW, DH, DS, DD nonsense.

It's not that hard.

Depending on the context, the "darling" part can sometimes come off as sarcastic. :LOL:

The acronyms are faster to type though.

It's not that hard.

I do not use those abbreviations, nor do I use emoji's, because I don't like them. But if others want to use them, I don't mind. After all, one of the great things about retirement is that we can all row our own boat.

People who can't pull all the way into a parking space. Was at the grocery store the other day and driving down the aisle was like a slalom. Pivot to the left here then two cars down pivot to the right. Arggggggg.

It's not that hard.

GOM!

Gulf of Mexico? :duh::peace::blink:

Guess it's the GOM Oceanographer in this retiree, trying to translate that one. :angel:

As for the DW, DH, DS, DD stuff, how come nobody talks about DLOML (Dear Love of my Life)? Oh, I know, it's easier to just type "Frank" and be done with it.... :LOL:

It's not that hard.

I'm lazy...

GOM=Grumpy old man?

I am lazy, don't type very fast, and often need to look at the keyboard, so use abbreviations . But only if I am sure of the meaning!
My "D" in DH, etc is Dear.

Reactions: W2R
People who can't pull all the way into a parking space. Was at the grocery store the other day and driving down the aisle was like a slalom. Pivot to the left here then two cars down pivot to the right. Arggggggg.

Or people who can’t pull all the way out. I had to back up the other day because the other guy was too lazy to go all the way before he put it in drive and started coming at me. He barely missed the bumper of the car parked in the adjacent space.

It's not that hard.

Talk about your first world problems!:cool:

This is a minor one but happened to me today....

I ordered a meal to pick up from someplace I normally do not go... I hate apps so do not have many on the phone... so ordered online and go to pick it up..

I get there expecting to see a sign giving me a number to call saying I am there (this has to be the first time I have waited in a car for food in years except for fast food windows).... well, NO NUMBER....

So I think they have something to indicate someone is out waiting.. but no... nobody comes... so I have to pull out the phone and look up the number.. which takes awhile... give them a call and get a robot!!! I finally click the line to 'order' takeout and say I am outside waiting... was told 'they have a camera and will be out' and hung up... luck for me someone else that has the app had driven up and someone came out with their food and I was able to flag them down to get mine...

I was waiting over 10 minutes.... not a horrible amount of time but when sitting it feels like it is...

My pet peeve from yesterday.

go online to last years health insurance company to pull down all of our rx history so I've got it in one place to price compare to this years new insurance company and also in case I want to pull a reimbursment from my hsa, it's right there.

log in and I can only see my rx history, not my wife or adult kids who are covered.

send an email to the customer service. 2 days later they advise I must call the rx department, so I do. the lady tells me that she can't give me the report, that i must create an account for each dependant. OK, fine.

attempt the new accounts and am blocked because the membership is no longer valid-current. call back, explain, and after 37 minutes am told they will either email the document, but more likely, send via us mail. I assume this is due to privacy issues because everyone is over 18.

aside from 45 minutes wasted between the 2 phone calls, it's stupid that i can see everyone health eob's, but not the rx history. makes zero sense.

Here's a PP that seems to be increasing by the day: Movie and TV scenes showing someone receiving/sending a text message with the phone so far from the camera the message is unreadable. Do the folks who direct these scenes think everyone who watches it will be sitting in front of a 75 inch screen? Sheesh!

GM OTA updates.
Sometimes the updates happen while driving, totally blanking out the display which may have navigation map or music info on it for 10 to 20 minutes. Then I have to reset some personalized settings.
It is bad enough that Cadillac's CUE system is clueless for playing mp4 videos in park on driver's screen, or be able to search. While the same mp4 music and videos on the very same USB stick play fine in park on 2016 Colorado. Did I mention the CUE system s*cks?

GM OTA updates.
Sometimes the updates happen while driving, totally blanking out the display which may have navigation map or music info on it for 10 to 20 minutes. Then I have to reset some personalized settings.
It is bad enough that Cadillac's CUE system is clueless for playing mp4 videos in park on driver's screen, or be able to search. While the same mp4 music and videos on the very same USB stick play fine in park on 2016 Colorado. Did I mention the CUE system s*cks?

Heh, heh, for this reason and a lot of others (like abysmal reliability in Consumer Reports - not to mention horrendous costs to fix) I have avoided cars which have "screens." I know they are cool and all, but I don't want to have to use a screen to set the AC. Give me knobs and dials, any day. BUT YMMV.

Heh, heh, for this reason and a lot of others (like abysmal reliability in Consumer Reports - not to mention horrendous costs to fix) I have avoided cars which have "screens." I know they are cool and all, but I don't want to have to use a screen to set the AC. Give me knobs and dials, any day. BUT YMMV.
Fortunately have standalone NAV and independent CD player and audio amps for the car. For the other two vehicles as well. After a lifetime of GM vehicles these will be the last ones. If need replacemets they will be anything but GM or Ford.
WIll Vote with my checkbook. Life goes on.:LOL:
BTW Cadillac's instructions for using USB sticks are as informative as Alan Greenspan's explanations were of the state of the economy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom