What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I received an offer for an item on ebay today. I accepted the offer. A short time later, I got a message asking to cancel the purchase. The reason? "Ordered by mistake" I realize that accidents happen but how did you accidentally go to my listing, select the Make an Offer option, type in a price, and send me the offer? That process takes multiple steps. It's really not something you can do "by mistake".

So I go to the store for my colonoscopy prep stuff. OMG Gatorade has switched from a 32 oz qt to a 28 oz bottle. Sozz I have to buy 3 bottles and have to figure how to divide the Miralax. I think I will create a spreadsheet. :facepalm:

My prep in February only required two 28 oz bottles, so I guess the gastroenterologist didn't update their sheet for years.. It was fine. I think the prep information is out of date. BTW, you can use the 28 oz bottle and 4 oz of water, but I just used the 28 oz bottle and was fine. I used a reusable water bottle to pour the extra out and calculated how much Miralax to add to the residual in the Gatorade bottle and my 28 oz bottle. Basically 3/7 in one bottle and 4/7 in the other. 1 capful per 4 oz, so 3 capfuls in 12 oz and 4 capfuls in 16 oz. Then I needed to repeat it at a different prescribed time. It was much easier to drink through the water bottle straw. When I finished the amount in the water bottle, I added the rest of the mix into it to drink.

Wow, my prep this week was just one 10-oz bottle of magnesium citrate, and then two small (5-6 oz) bottles of Clenpiq. It was easier than last time.

I used to be a migrant nuclear worker, living 6-12 months at a time at different nuclear plants around the south. Without fail, when I first started a new job, someone would caution me, “people don’t use their turn signals around here.” In Atlanta, a buddy used to say that using a turn signal was a sign of weakness.
How odd I'm reading this today. I was on one of my car forums today commenting on how much physical resistance I was getting when changing lanes with the "Lane Departure" feature turned on. (makes it hard to steer into another lane) Several of the guys asked if I was using my turn signal before switching lanes. (Well of course not :)). Anyway they "claim" if I use my turn signal the lane departure feature will disable for a short time to allow me to switch lanes normally. I haven't tried it yet but I will next time I'm out for a drive. If it works I'll be using my blinkers all the time in the future. Still learning about cars.

Went to the ATM outside my credit union to get cash. Recently ATMs have been dispensing $50s. This is not helpful for my favorite service-oriented businesses that like cash because it’s harder to make change. Also, The tip box at the car wash doesn’t take Apple Pay!

Since the credit union was open and not busy, I marched inside and had the teller exchange them fiddys for $20s, $10s and $5s.

The teller did give me a helpful hint: To avoid $50s, don’t choose any amount that is divisible by 50. For example, to get all 20s, choose $80 or $120 instead of $100.

Went to the ATM outside my credit union to get cash. Recently ATMs have been dispensing $50s. This is not helpful for my favorite service-oriented businesses that like cash because it’s harder to make change. Also, The tip box at the car wash doesn’t take Apple Pay!

Since the credit union was open and not busy, I marched inside and had the teller exchange them fiddys for $20s, $10s and $5s.

The teller did give me a helpful hint: To avoid $50s, don’t choose any amount that is divisible by 50. For example, to get all 20s, choose $80 or $120 instead of $100.

Hmmm, mine normally gives 20s unless you get $300 then it will give you one $100 bill and $20s...

BUT, you can choose the bills you want as long as you do not want any $10s... I get a lot of $5s and $1s for my DW.. somehow she spends them...

How odd I'm reading this today. I was on one of my car forums today commenting on how much physical resistance I was getting when changing lanes with the "Lane Departure" feature turned on. (makes it hard to steer into another lane) Several of the guys asked if I was using my turn signal before switching lanes. (Well of course not :)). Anyway they "claim" if I use my turn signal the lane departure feature will disable for a short time to allow me to switch lanes normally. I haven't tried it yet but I will next time I'm out for a drive. If it works I'll be using my blinkers all the time in the future. Still learning about cars.

They are correct. But at least the newer cars just give a vibration or resistance in the steering wheel. I remember several years ago driving with DW's cousin who NEVER used a blinker. Every time he changed lanes a d@mn warning bell would go off.

Huh, good to know. I usually get $400+ (to minimize the fees, even if they are refunded), and I've never gotten anything but $20s.

And the lane departure gives resistance when trying to dodge potholes. Sometimes you have to go slightly out of your lane to dodge the big ones.

I received an offer for an item on ebay today. I accepted the offer. A short time later, I got a message asking to cancel the purchase. The reason? "Ordered by mistake" I realize that accidents happen but how did you accidentally go to my listing, select the Make an Offer option, type in a price, and send me the offer? That process takes multiple steps. It's really not something you can do "by mistake".

Maybe the mistake was not shopping around and she found a better price?

Wonderful! It’s good to know that your teller actually paid attention in his/her math classes.

Now if all those people who buy state lottery tickets would only go back and review their probability lessons. Oh well……

Have you tried that rear view mirror thingie yet? :D

This is exactly how it works - I just got my first new car with lane departure functionality and learned exactly the same thing. I first considered just disabling the function, but I actually like it now because it nudges me toward becoming more compliant about using my turn signal. I consider this a good thing!

Thanks for another reason I don't miss NJ.

My pet peeve of the day is text messages. I know it's partly my hangup but I really feel a sense of urgency to drop what I'm doing and answer them. It's even worse when the sender isn't in my contact list and I have to respond with, "I'm sorry but who is this?". About 20 minutes ago I got a text form someone trying to log into our church web site admin account. She's authorized but forgot her password. So we're texting back and forth, she's sending screen shots, I made another suggestion... and that was 10 minutes ago. I asked for an update. No answer.

I'm gonna take a break.

Yeah, I hate texting. If you want to talk to me, call me. It'll take 3 minutes on the phone or 10 minutes texting back and forth. I don't get the "text" thing for other than (for instance) transmitting secondary confirmation numbers, etc. "Talking" by text is a frustrating exercise in fumble fingers to me. Call me or leave me alone.:mad:

My prep in February only required two 28 oz bottles, so I guess the gastroenterologist didn't update their sheet for years.. It was fine. I think the prep information is out of date. BTW, you can use the 28 oz bottle and 4 oz of water, but I just used the 28 oz bottle and was fine. I used a reusable water bottle to pour the extra out and calculated how much Miralax to add to the residual in the Gatorade bottle and my 28 oz bottle. Basically 3/7 in one bottle and 4/7 in the other. 1 capful per 4 oz, so 3 capfuls in 12 oz and 4 capfuls in 16 oz. Then I needed to repeat it at a different prescribed time. It was much easier to drink through the water bottle straw. When I finished the amount in the water bottle, I added the rest of the mix into it to drink.

Heh, heh, my C-doctor insisted that I purchase an on-line "KIT" that, (wait for it) came with Miralax. To add injury to insult, it cost over $50 by the time shipping was included. I was not satisfied with the results and went to CVS and bought yet ANOTHER bottle of Miralax - just to be certain. I then noticed on the "report" that suggested my prep results were just "adequate" or other language suggesting I hadn't done a great job with the prep. Of course, I looked at all the pretty pictures in the report and concluded that I was NOT the one full of ... YMMV

Wow, my prep this week was just one 10-oz bottle of magnesium citrate, and then two small (5-6 oz) bottles of Clenpiq. It was easier than last time.

My doc and also wife's kidney doc suggests that this process can damage kidneys. Just sayin' as I am NOT a doctor nor do I know much about such things. Again, just sayin' so YMMV.

Heh, heh, I hate to be the one to say it, but turn-signals were the first thing I learned about driving back in drivers-ed.:cool:

I just wish folks here in the Aloha state had gone to my Dr-Ed course all those years ago. IF a local person uses their turn signals (big if) they turn them on AS they begin to turn. But YMMV.

I guess it's true. There IS a HACK for everything now.

Heh, heh, (respectfully) you have no right to "complain" if there was an open lane on I-75!:cool: I don't recall ever seeing that unless it was perhaps at 3:00 AM. First trip to FL, I recall 3 lanes of bumper to bumper at 75 mph and being scared spitless the whole time. It's been worse on subsequent trips.:facepalm:

I guess we got lucky:D

Last time, driving to Cape Coral, I-75 in FL was as you described. This time we went to Jensen Beach and caught the turnpike before that mess.

Except for the mess in Atlanta, the drive was not that bad.

I guess we got lucky:D

Last time, driving to Cape Coral, I-75 in FL was as you described. This time we went to Jensen Beach and caught the turnpike before that mess.

Except for the mess in Atlanta, the drive was not that bad.

Heh, heh, mark that date in history! Probably never see I-75 that clear again.:LOL:

Hmmm, mine normally gives 20s unless you get $300 then it will give you one $100 bill and $20s...

BUT, you can choose the bills you want as long as you do not want any $10s... I get a lot of $5s and $1s for my DW.. somehow she spends them...
Although I've seen other ATMs that let you choose denominations, this credit union's ATMs had only ever dispensed $20s until 6 months ago. CNN reported that one possible reason is because the Federal Reserve ordered more $50s, so now there are more in circulation. Here's the link to the CNN article:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/18/economy/historic-number-of-50-bills-were-printed-last-year/index.html

At least ATMs aren't dispensing $1 coins!

Wonderful! It’s good to know that your teller actually paid attention in his/her math classes.

Now if all those people who buy state lottery tickets would only go back and review their probability lessons. Oh well……

Per 1992 Teen Talk Barbie:

"Math class is tough!"

And all those serious lottery ticket buyers are making an investment. Gotta play to win!

?

Turn signals are supposed to signal that you are GOING to make a turn or lane change. NOT that you are turning, we can figure that out!

Yeah.. its doesn't have to be complicated.. but many people still don't get it.

If planning to turn, your turn-signal should be turned on before your brake light turns on.

Turn signals are supposed to signal that you are GOING to make a turn or lane change. NOT that you are turning, we can figure that out!

Wow, some people actually purchase that optiomal turn signal thingy?

Back
Top Bottom