Votes: 107 33.9%
  • Down -11% to -20%

Votes: 155 49.1%
  • Down -21% to -30%

Votes: 50 15.8%
  • Down -31% or higher

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Down 1.69% for March, a lifetime of conservative investing finally paid off. Just a week prior to all this starting I had a Merrill Lynch rep questioning my investing and large cash reserve and of course wanted to "help" me earn more money.

I'm sure there's good honest financial people out there someplace but literally everyone I've ever spoken to has been used car salesman in disguise. Age 60 and I couldn't be happier with the end result of my lifetime of saving and investing. Trust your gut.

Down 17% on cash and marketable securities, which make up about 1/3 of our assets. Rest is investment properties (residential), which Im sure are down, but I have no idea how much.

I'm slightly up...I sold all of my equities with the exception of some annuities (which can't go down) a year ago. In the following 8-10 months after I sold everything, I was disappointed I missed out on the further run up in the markets but now I'm feeling good with my decision. I believe in investing with buy, hold AND SELL strategies. Nothing goes up forever and bear markets are somewhat cyclical and usually don't end quickly so you usually have plenty of time to get back into the market at reasonable prices.

Have been using Personal Capital for the past 5 yrs. Its free, and makes everything easy to see & track on one page. Day, Month, Year, Historic numbers etc. Its made retirement easy. Otherwise things would be difficult to track. Net worth, Cash flow, Holdings etc. Highly recommended. Investing through the Co. is optional. I do not. But am sure some do. (Not trying to sound like an add. Just passing it on) Nothing in it for me. https://www.personalcapital.com/sig...ZEQtuIPcFJ4dqmr9UvBehd3Bp_vXkAXRoCvM4QAvD_BwE

Last edited:
I haven't really figured it. It's kind of a boring exercise to me. I try to figure year over year, shortly after all my paperwork comes in in January. Looked good then of course even after RMDs (taken in '19).

Now:

About 75% of port:

My only single stock is up a bit less than 10% for the year.
PMs up about 7%
SPDAs up 5% PA so up about 1% for the year
GIF (only about 2% PA so) up about 1/2 %
Insurance w/cash value (Don't throw anything - turns out to have been a good bet with CAD now) up about 4% PA so up about 1%
I-bonds (a bit less than 4% PA) so maybe 1%

Remaining 25% of port:

S&P 500 YTD down about 18% (correct me)
MSCI ex US YTD UP about 7% - can that be right?? (please correct me)

Best SWAG down 0 to 10% YTD

16.33% down right now.

Although I do have a speculative investment for a few thousand that is up 230%. So that helps to offset this somewhat.

I'm slightly up...I sold all of my equities with the exception of some annuities (which can't go down) a year ago. In the following 8-10 months after I sold everything, I was disappointed I missed out on the further run up in the markets but now I'm feeling good with my decision. I believe in investing with buy, hold AND SELL strategies. Nothing goes up forever and bear markets are somewhat cyclical and usually don't end quickly so you usually have plenty of time to get back into the market at reasonable prices.

Soooo....... what's your plan for getting back in, if you plan get back in?

Last edited:
Schwab's summary page includes a very nice tool for calculating and displaying your gain/loss over time. Since 97% of my FIRE stash is there (everything but some local B and M bank deposits), these are reasonably accurate numbers reflecting our overall performance, all in.

This morning I'm down 12.19% YTD. I'm ahead of where we were two years ago but behind where we were one year ago in terms of total account value. Currently (after the market has done some auto-balancing!) the AA is 51/35/14.

I finally looked at my investments today, first time since the beginning of February. While the absolute dollars I am down is ALOT, the percentage I am down since 2/1/2020 is 7%. I have a conservative allocation--40% stocks/ 60% bonds, mm, cds. I started a separate tread about my international fund. It is time for me to rebalance but I don't have the nerve to do it yet. So I will just hold tight.

Up 3% YTD as of yesterday. 70% corporate bonds and CDs and 30% cash/MM. My bond premiums are coming back pretty fast. The Fed just announced that it will be buying high yield bonds. I have a large position of high yield in technology and telecom companies. Those bonds were already trading well above par and are likely to get an even bigger boost. I will be selling off short and medium term investment grade notes that have coupons under 4.25% if the premiums rise to the point where their YTM is lower than CDs. I want to go to 40% cash and wait for the next sell-off.

-15.8% ytd on 100% equities. Interesting market to watch the last few weeks, although I missed the first week of real excitement due to being on a cruise Mar 7-14. At one point I was down 50% from my mid-Feb high (44% ytd).

Last edited:
-15.8% ytd on 100% equities. Interesting market to watch the last few weeks, although I missed the first week of real excitement due to being on a cruise Mar 7-14. At one point I was down 50% from my mid-Feb high (44% ytd).

If the market keeps going up I'll be back to even in about a week. I've already made back around 2/3 of what I was down.

Down 6 1/2 percent from February High. Only 35% stock and I received a reprieve this morning from the Fed. I own a 4.3% Ford bond which is due in late 2023. The bond was trading at .72 on the dollar prior to the announcement. Now, I’ll carry it to maturity. It also didn’t hurt that I picked up some RCL earlier in the week in the mid 20’s.

Down 10%. Not as bad as I expected.

the power of over rebalancing in a down market:

so I decided to over rebalance from 60/40 to 96/04 between DOW 25,409-18,576 with over 580K of purchases, I am now only down 4.4% YTD and back to October 2019 level.

Last edited:
Looking at my IRA and my 401K, the AA for current holdings is 60/40.
However, for my 401K I had changed my contributions to 100% equities 2 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom