What percentage of your wealth is in a safe fund such as bonds or cash?

Retiree here at 50 with no pension
AA: 96% in equities and 4% in saving to cover 2 years of expenses.

I have no mortgage and the house is worth 850K but don't count it as part of my investment.

Last edited:
35% for me (enough to cover core living expenses until SS kicks in).

current cash/cds could last us 4 years with rental income and pension supplementing...which would get me to 66 and ss.
retirement accounts are 60/40

not worried for myself but worried for others where i live...lots of things could go south in a hurry. good time to be generous when it is called for and careful as well

Currently 60%

Not counting home, and outside of a cash balance pension:

56% Treasury intermediate bonds and 4% cash (split between FIDO and credit union). This is enough to easily get us through > 10 years living expenses.

Most of the stock is from mega - Utility giant NEE. Small S&P 500 index position.

NEE stock ran up in Jan/Feb so I took LTCG for about a year's cash position. Intermediate Treasuries picked up nicely after that. My portfolio is roughly now the same as 1 January - even after subtracting a year's expenses to cash.

The pension draws 4% interest at lowest. Giving some thought to cashing it in before any next downturn and lump sum withdraws being frozen.

Rising equity glidepath discussed by Michael Kitces and Wade Pfau was my tradeoff to avoid a potential black swan in Sequence Of Returns Risk. I went from 100/0 at age 57 to 40/60 just before retiring at age 58 last year. Investment coworkers thought my strategy to be batshit crazy for not having a 70/30 portfolio. Mine was a poor strategy with 100 equity designed to swing for the fence and get out earlier, or fail and try to work a few years longer - I am not a financial genius and simply got lucky.

If the market heads south again (I believe the black swan is still out there), I will likely cash out the pension and take the whole nut up to a 60/40 ratio earlier than planned and just DCA along the way. (After figuring out an entry point.) I was a high wage earner, so SS for DW and myself will eventually make a good floor of income.

Last edited:
55% of the financial assets last I checked.
We do have access to non-cola pensions too, however.

2 weeks ago I reallocated to 70/30 then the market put it at 73/27 almost overnight. Now 75/25. I tried to back out of stocks .... at least not 80/20 anymore. I don't feel the need to pull back on stocks AGAIN but then I'm getting a 3% boost in my pension in 2 weeks. And I got the stimulus this morning.

ten year look back

Retired in 2010 and lived off company stock for several years and now on IRA withdrawals. Thank God for the good ten years I have enjoyed because my withdrawals to date have been $1.5M and my portfolio is still $328K higher than it was when I retired. I am not bragging by any means because I realize the stock market performance has everything to do with it. I am just not going to agonize over every dollar and how to utilize it given the past and even the current situation. Live life and back off it becomes obvious a change has to be made. Best to all.

Forgive me but that is doomsday thinking and if it comforts you have at it. Enjoy the money now while you can---not frivously but in a reasonable way.

25% - Individual Stocks
25% - Individual Muni Bonds
25% - Cash/CDs
25% - Multi-Family Investment Real Estate.

Just turned 60 (retired three years). I don't do mutual funds or ETFs but research each stock and muni I buy.

This allocation has worked well for me.

About half fixed income - combination of MM funds, CDs, I-Bonds, bond mutual funds.

94% cash...retiring in May...we will both have pensions to help as well. Before this virus nightmare we were up to 50/50:(

Unit of measure is better as # of months budget covered vs % AA. My cash/MM is > 5 yrs after other fixed income sources and < 10% of AA. Will move more to stocks with another 10+% dip towards 52 week lows. Somehow I watched the March low without trading.

I was considering moving reallocating more stock in my TSP but thought better of it and still remain 10% stocks and 90% treasuries.

The PPP program is almost depleted with no additional legislation in the pipeline, banks are way down, and unemployment continues to spike up.

Don't see things getting any better in the near future.

I was 50/50, but just moved a large chunk from index funds to a stable value fund (bonds) in my 401k. Now I am closer to 45/55. I wanted a bit more asset preservation and have a somewhat gloomy feeling about a significant downturn in the next couple months. Its one thing for the government to declare "back to work", but another thing to convince consumers to come out in mass. I for one will be staying around the house for the foreseeable future. And I believe I am not alone.

Back
Top Bottom