What to do in Nashville on a Monday night

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We're going to a wedding in Tennessee this fall, and I thought it would be nice to stop in Nashville afterwards for a day. DW has never been there, and her sister will be joining us. The wedding is a Sunday, the only day we have available is the following Monday, and so far the venues I've seen have no show scheduled on Monday nights.

Any Nashville-experienced travelers here have any suggestions? It doesn't have to be country music but it would be nice to see/hear some Music City culture.

Last edited:
Many years ago passed through. I found it best in the rear view mirror.

There's likely to always be live music somewhere in Music City!

We went years ago and loved it, and passed through on our trip last summer, though only had time for a diner lunch this last trip, which was delicious though spartan (Brown's).

Find the local free paper online and see what the smaller bars/music venues might have on offer, you will probably find some cool local band to enjoy. And perhaps a few fun shops, if you are into that sort of thing.

We went there on a weekend, but I assume that the venues have live music every night. There are several live music venues downtown. We tried to get into a few places following a Blackhawks/Predators game, but the town was so crowded we couldn't get inside anywhere. We did go to Jackalope and Yazoo breweries during the day. Great city - had a great time.

I grew up in Nashville, and find it one of the more lively cities of its size.
Monday nights, the place to go is 3rd and Lindsley. The Time Jumpers are on stage that night, and their lead guitar player is Vince Gill. The group is a bunch of ex-road musicians, and it's their hobby band. 3RD AND LINDSLEY :: OFFICIAL
Other options are visiting the honky tonks on lower Broadway any night.
Our other favorite place to go is Station Inn on S. 12th for hard core bluegrass.

Thanks for the links. I guess the way to go is to reserve a hotel now and check for shows a month or so before the trip. A small, coffeehouse type setting would be great, some Bluegrass would be even better.

Here you go: Map & Guide - TN Whiskey Trail

Lots of distilleries outside Nashville, but these four have Nashville addresses and presumably tours:

OTHER TENNESSEE BRANDS
CAPITAL DISTILLING COMPANY
Nashville, TN. Resurrected after four generations, Cumberland Cask is the flagship brand from Capital Distilling Company. Never chill filtered, this whiskey is 100% Distilled, Barreled, Aged, and Bottled in Tennessee.

COLLIER AND MCKEEL
Nashville, TN. Using a traditional sour mash recipe and hand-hammered copper pot still, Collier and McKeel are resurrecting the craft of making small batch Tennessee Whiskey.

PEG LEG PORKER
Nashville, TN. BBQ veteran Carey Bringle’s foray into the spirits industry – Peg Leg Porker Tennessee Straight Bourbon Whiskey. While there isn’t currently a distillery to tour, a respite at Bringle’s BBQ joint in the Nashville Gulch is recommended.

WINDY HILL SPIRITS
Nashville, TN. Originators of American Born Moonshine, an all-American product from grain to glass. Honoring an undefeatable spirit of a proud people. Available flavors include: Original, Apple Pie, and Dixie (Sweet Tea). The smooth side of a rough history.

Country music HOF is worth seeing. Also might try to visit the old RCA studio.

It's been years, but we tried some of the "high class" places (up on the hill - for want of a better description - I want to say "Piper's Alley", but that might be wrong.) Expensive, crowded, just "good." We went down on Broadway and found what looked to be some pretty sleazy dives where some fantastic pickers were playing for tips. Felt right at home on Broadway - but do exercise routine caution. Hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Koolau: You're talking about Printer's Alley, and it's now being revived. In its day, Printer's Alley was full of supper clubs--including Boots Randolph's place.

Lower Broadway is now the place to be--just west of the Cumberland River from 2nd St. to 5th St. Those honky tonks are no longer sleazy places, but some pretty large restaurants and music venues. 12th Ave. South south of Broadway/West End is the new yuppie place--and other high class bars/restaurants.

There are many, many major artists hanging around Nashville at any given time, and they're very quick to entertain for local charities. You can catch Big and Rich and Grechen Wilson singing at a small bar off Lower Broadway one night per week. How often can you see the Oak Ridge Boys and Garth Brooks on the same stage for $20? There are just magical music nights in Nashville if you keep your eyes open for such shows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom