What vaccines should I get?

Boho

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I haven't seen a doctor in [-]over 10 [/-] 17 years and was thinking about a tetanus shot. I read it's recommend to get one every 10 years. Do people get one that often in practice?

I found a CVS page on vaccines. It says they offer:

DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis)
Flu shots
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
HPV (human papillomavirus)
IPV (polio)
MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
Meningitis
Pneumonia
Shingles vaccine (herpes zoster vaccine)
Td (tetanus, diphtheria)
Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis)
Vitamin B12 injection

I'll get the shingles vaccine when I'm 55 unless I decide I'm immune compromised before then. I have no idea about the others, especially because there are two kinds of tetanus shots - DTaP and Tdap. I'm 54 and I had all my childhood shots.

Flu I've heard enough about and I'm not so worried but I know I technically should get a flu vaccine and I might.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a doctor in over 10 years and was thinking about a tetanus shot. I read it's recommend to get one every 10 years. Do people get one that often in practice?

I do. Otherwise, you end up getting one after a bad fall or accident where the doctor in the ER asks you when you last had one...

As far as the rest, your new doctor should get your medical history, and then go by your age and needs. I don't think it's the same list for everyone.

In the end, a vaccination is an attempt to reduce risk. So you have to look at what your risks might be vs the cost of getting a vaccination.

Your risks depend on what you do and where you go. Working around animal barns or traveling to countries where hep risk is higher than the US? These point to one scenario. Couch potato in an OECD country who never travels? Another scenario. Going to Kenya? Yellow fever required.

In my case I once had a new doc looking at my history who said "Jeez! You've had everything." Actually that screen didn't even show the smallpox vaccination I had decades ago, required for a trip to Japan at that time. DW is the same -- almost everything. We travel internationally a lot and on our pre-trip checklist is a consultation with the Travel Clinic to make sure we have what we need and to freshen them up as necessary.

When in doubt, do it. There is vanishingly small downside except for a few bucks out of pocket. And what did you accumulate all that money for if not for things like this?

For international travel check US State Department for recommendations and individual countries for entry/visa requirements. The countries don't always check (Kenya didn't) but that's definitely a risk I would not take.

Edit: Shingles is nasty, nasty. Just get the jab.

In the end, a vaccination is an attempt to reduce risk. So you have to look at what your risks might be vs the cost of getting a vaccination.

Your risks depend on what you do and where you go. Working around animal barns or traveling to countries where hep risk is higher than the US? These point to one scenario. Couch potato in an OECD country who never travels? Another scenario. Going to Kenya? Yellow fever required.

In my case I once had a new doc looking at my history who said "Jeez! You've had everything." Actually that screen didn't even show the smallpox vaccination I had decades ago, required for a trip to Japan at that time. DW is the same -- almost everything. We travel internationally a lot and on our pre-trip checklist is a consultation with the Travel Clinic to make sure we have what we need and to freshen them up as necessary.

When in doubt, do it. There is vanishingly small downside except for a few bucks out of pocket. And what did you accumulate all that money for if not for things like this?

For international travel check US State Department for recommendations and individual countries for entry/visa requirements. The countries don't always check (Kenya didn't) but that's definitely a risk I would not take.

Edit: Shingles is nasty, nasty. Just get the jab.

For travelers vaccines are a no-brainer. Other shots might be an informed decision: ie., would you benefit from HPV vaccine? It's not covered for people older than xx (I forgot what it is now, 49?) and some doctors question its effectiveness for older folks (others would say it's the insurance lobby not wanting to cover it). But if you have a lot of sexual partners then you might as well pay for it - just in case.

The only ones I have received (I'm 64) are tetanus every 10 years and the two-part shingles vaccine.

Good webpage. So, flu, tetanus, and zoster (shingles). They recommend the shingles vaccine starting at age 50 and my past research looked like I could wait to 55 so I have more research to do.

Why would you wait :confused:
It would really suck if you suddenly got Shingles at 54.5 , since the cause is already inside you, being isolated does nothing to prevent it from occurring.

As for HPV, odds are you are already infected, don't know if there is a cheap easy test for it, might be worth getting tested first.

Why would you wait :confused:
It would really suck if you suddenly got Shingles at 54.5 , since the cause is already inside you, being isolated does nothing to prevent it from occurring.
I was basing my wait on what I read from a reliable source about a year ago, but I guess I'll get it.

As for HPV, odds are you are already infected, don't know if there is a cheap easy test for it, might be worth getting tested first.

An HPV vaccine isn't indicated for someone over 45. I'm past the "Shared clinical decision-making" age. Yet "At any age, having a new sex partner is a risk factor for getting a new HPV infection." So being vaccinated 10 years ago would have protected me today, I guess, but now it's too late. :confused:

I don't really know much about shingles, but seeing a few (painful) TV ads about it had me chomping at the bit to get the vaccine. I actually first got the "old" one a year or two before the new one came out, so I then got re-vaccinated with it. Don't wait--you really don't want shingles.

... I'm past the "Shared clinical decision-making" age. ...
I ignore this kind of thing. Most, if not all, of this kind of thing is based on public health considerations, x million dollars of cost nationally vs y dollars on health care of the unvaccinated. All of the furor over the PSA test is based on this kind of a scenario.

As an individual, this sort of statistical machination is irrelevant. I cannot be x percent sick. It is either a one or a zero for me. Vaccinations are cheap or free, so I get them when my doc or I feel they are a good idea. Forget the statistics.

An HPV vaccine isn't indicated for someone over 45. I'm past the "Shared clinical decision-making" age. Yet "At any age, having a new sex partner is a risk factor for getting a new HPV infection." So being vaccinated 10 years ago would have protected me today, I guess, but now it's too late. :confused:

That indication was just arbitrarily changed from 28 or 27. My doctor pretty much dismissed these numbers and told me to just get it (I somehow was not infected). Was he right? Who knows... I had to pay for it out of pocket since the insurance would only cover it for the recommended ages. Given that it's 3 shots for about $500 total I can see how they would be firm on the 45 guidance :)

Discuss with your Dr if Hep A and Hep B would be advisable, definitely recommend annual Flu, and shingrix, one of your tetanus boosters as an adult should be Tdap the rest can be Td, and pneumonia usually at age 65. However, there are two out now, so perhaps you can get them younger.
Again, a good review and discussion of your health history and recommendations with your medical provider is prudent.

I would go ahead and get the Shingles vaccine now--don't wait until 55 or whatever. I had Shingles at age 50 (before there was a vaccine) and it was one of the worst things to ever happen to me. Having Shingles is AWFUL!

Besides the suggested vaccinations you should also get a colonoscopy, it's recommended for everyone at 50, should be covered by your insurance. A full set of blood test at the lab is a good idea, 17 years is a long time.

Last edited:
Another vote here for find a Dr and then ask him/her. Full bloodwork, colonoscopy, yes I really do get a tetanus shot every 10 or a booster more often if I get cut. Yes for shingrix series. A tooth cleaning and check bc its related to cardiac health. And maybe a stress test. Do you or did you smoke? Might recommend an abdominal aortic ultrasound thingy. Full body skincheck by a dermatologist. Then questions related to genetics come up. Family history of xyz? What was the cause of demise of close relatives if departed...

Better to find a Dr now and then not need one than need one and have no baseline blood work or vitals to start from and no one to go to. Buy bandaids before youre bleeding.

I haven't seen a doctor in [-]over 10 [/-] 17 years and was thinking about a tetanus shot. I read it's recommend to get one every 10 years. Do people get one that often in practice?

I found a CVS page on vaccines. It says they offer:

DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis)
Flu shots
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
HPV (human papillomavirus)
IPV (polio)
MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
Meningitis
Pneumonia
Shingles vaccine (herpes zoster vaccine)
Td (tetanus, diphtheria)
Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis)
Vitamin B12 injection

I'll get the shingles vaccine when I'm 55 unless I decide I'm immune compromised before then. I have no idea about the others, especially because there are two kinds of tetanus shots - DTaP and Tdap. I'm 54 and I had all my childhood shots.

Flu I've heard enough about and I'm not so worried but I know I technically should get a flu vaccine and I might.

Give me a break! You are behind on screening for preventative deadly illness.

You should really get your lipids, fasting glucose, PSA and BP checked. Also start screening for colon cancer. This will require connecting with a doctor. Taking care of yourself in just these few simple ways could significantly prolong a healthy life. I have two friends with stage 4 breast cancer. It would have been better if they were diagnosed at stage 1. My aunt died of colon cancer. It was a horrible experience. As did one of my practice partners in the 1990s. That was equally horrible. They were both younger than you.

You should not just "technically" get the flu vaccine. You should get the flu vaccine. I have been getting flu vaccine yearly since 1991. My son, since 1995, when he was 3. He did get flu once, in 1999. He was barely sick; the vaccine was partially effective. I'm a retired pediatrician. Exposed to measles, chicken pox, multiple types of meningitis and very contagious form of tuberculosis (two years ago). I took care with masks and gowns and gloves to avoid unecessary exposure. Most importantly, up to date with my vaccines. All of them. Taking care of yourself is a significant part of a long healthy life.

DTaP is for children. Tdap is a lower dose of diptheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine for adults. Yes, get it at least every 10 years. The most common source of deadly pertussis in young infants is their grandparents who have not recently been vaccinated. Tetanus disease caused by contaminated wounds from soil containing the bacteria. It has a high mortality rate. Keep up with your tetanus shot. Tdap can be given as often as every 2 years as it is now recommended during every pregnancy. Yes, people get Tdap on a regular basis.

Hepatitis A-can be given at any time, worth a consideration, most have not been vaccinated. Most probably do not need to be. If I was to travel to Asia, Africa, or rural South America, I would get it. Very safe, painless shot series.

Hepatitis B-yes. Required for school and health care workers. I got mine soon after it became available. My son got his when he was 3, 10 years before it was required for school. Extremely safe. Mostly transmitted through sex and IV exposure after early childhood.

HPV- insurance pays between about 10 and 22 years. Prevents genital warts, which are a significant risk for cervical cancer and penile cancer. Not paid for in older adults. HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. Consider your risk and age before making that decision.

Polio-you have probably been vaccinated, long ago. Booster doses not needed. Risk of infection in North America, Europe, and Australia is non-existent. Also not much risk anywhere in the world elsewhere.

MMR-see polio. Measles is the main problem here. If you had disease or received two doses of the vaccine any time in your life, you are fine. If not, one booster is worth a consideration.
Rubella is a mild illness unless a fetus is infected, then there can be severe consequences. Not a problem for you.

Meningitis vaccine-most important in late teens and young adults.

Pneumonia vaccine-you should get if over 65 or if immune compromised.

Shingles vaccine-YES, when you are eligible. It's basically a chicken pox virus booster. I'll get mine when it's paid for. DH and I both had shingles 5-7 years ago. We do not want it again.

Td--get Tdap instead.

vitamin B12 is not a vaccine.

Look all of these up on the CDC website if you have questions.

I definitely want to get blood tests too. That's another reason I want to move to Vermont. For their direct access testing law, where you don't need a doctor for a blood test. I'd probably get more blood tests than a doctor would give me.

I'm not getting a tetanus shot. Maybe when I'm older or if I cut myself badly.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/do-adults-really-need-tetanus-booster-shots-2020051219786

A recent paper published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases suggested that tetanus and diphtheria booster vaccines are not necessary for adults who have completed their childhood vaccination series. This advice aligns with the current World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations...they found no significant difference in disease rates in countries that require adults to receive booster shots compared with those that do not.

And I don't want any vaccine on the same day I get an amalgam filling. My body may be working on fighting the mercury or something (not sure how that works). So much for being efficient with my traveling.

I'm not getting a tetanus shot. Maybe when I'm older or if I cut myself badly.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/do-adults-really-need-tetanus-booster-shots-2020051219786

And I don't want any vaccine on the same day I get an amalgam filling. My body may be working on fighting the mercury or something (not sure how that works). So much for being efficient with my traveling.

That great big study has a problem, they didn't quantify that people did/didn't get the booster shots. It's possible in a country that doesn't require it, that most people do get the booster shots. I know I do, and it's not required in the countries that I've lived in.
So the study may be flawed in finding no difference.

Besides which the paper finished with:
"Even though it happens rarely, people can still get tetanus and experience serious or deadly effects. There is no cure for tetanus, and no definitive proof that you will have lifelong immunity with childhood vaccinations alone. So for now, the CDC continues to recommend booster vaccines every 10 years to help your immune system protect against these infections. If you have questions about the tetanus and diphtheria vaccine, talk to your doctor."

DTaP is for children. Tdap is a lower dose of diptheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine for adults. Yes, get it at least every 10 years. The most common source of deadly pertussis in young infants is their grandparents who have not recently been vaccinated. Tetanus disease caused by contaminated wounds from soil containing the bacteria. It has a high mortality rate. Keep up with your tetanus shot. Tdap can be given as often as every 2 years as it is now recommended during every pregnancy. Yes, people get Tdap on a regular basis.
Interesting.
My health history list I've put together for the last ten years has DTaP listed. Got it ~6 years ago when pregnant DIL asked us when the last time we had a pertussis booster was. DW and I then got our shots at different places due to schedule. I went to a CVS, I remember the person there directing me to their in-store Minute Clinic, saying that the pharmacy didn't do the shot I needed. I'll dig out the paperwork I got to confirm if it really was DTaP, and not Tdap that I got. I hope I got the right thing for the situation!
I assume either Tdap or Td can be a later-on 10 year booster?

Edit: Hmmmm, If the "P" in DTaP is capitalized, that means it has the higher dose of Pertussis vaccine? If so, maybe they DID give me the best shot for the situation I told them about, grandparent around soon to be infant?
I can't say I've ever played a Doctor, but I did have a well-used hand me down Dr. kit when I was pre-kindergarten. Most of the parts were missing, the rest were broken and dirty, so I guess I was a third-world bush doctor!

If I still had that doctor kit, I'm sure I could help Boho out! :)

Last edited:
Consult your physician. If you travel internationally, consult a travel clinic.

This is the wrong place to seek medical advice of any sort.

I would ask my doctor rather than a bunch of strangers. Just sayin'.

Consult your physician. If you travel internationally, consult a travel clinic.

This is the wrong place to seek medical advice of any sort.

Agree and disagree. The very first post was a useful link from the CDC that I hadn't seen before.

While we should always consult a doctor, using a public webpage as a sounding board for their concerns can be useful. Similar to going to a Toyota dealership and then asking a Toyota forum for pros and cons on that model.

OP-go see the Doc! 17 years is too long. You would be surprised how healthy, or secretly unhealthy, you are. :)

I don't understand the logic here. Given that there is some non-zero probability of being exposed to tetanus bacteria and given that getting the jab is essentially cost- and risk-free, why not just get it?

This is analogous to Pascal's Wager, in which he argues that you are better off believing in God than not believing. If there is a God and you don't believe, you are in big trouble. If there is no God then believing doesn't produce any benefits but there is no downside either.

Back
Top Bottom