What vaccines should I get?

I do. Otherwise, you end up getting one after a bad fall or accident where the doctor in the ER asks you when you last had one...

That's how I've gotten most of the tetanus shots I've ever had - during a visit to the emergency room after I've done something stupid. Fortunately, that seems to occur more frequently than every ten years.

OP-go see the Doc! 17 years is too long. You would be surprised how healthy, or secretly unhealthy, you are. :)

I couldn’t agree more! I am not in medicine by any means but think many medical professionals must shake their heads when presented with troubled patients who’ve neglected basic medical (and dental) care for far too long. Just Do It.

https://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/digital-rectal-examination
Who Should Get a Digital Rectal Exam?

You may need a digital rectal exam if you have rectal bleeding, abdominal or pelvic pain or a change in bowel habits. [I don't]

But studies have shown there is little evidence that DREs are effective in screening for cancers such as colon, rectal or prostate. For that reason it is not part of the routine physical examination. [good]

However, a DRE might be included as a part of prostate cancer screening. This will depend on your age, risk factors and symptoms. [that's BS man]

Oh come now. This is no time to be squeamish. That's the best part of my annual checkup.

I don't understand the logic here. Given that there is some non-zero probability of being exposed to tetanus bacteria and given that getting the jab is essentially cost- and risk-free, why not just get it?

The reasoning given in the journal article is:

If WHO guidelines were adopted only in the United States (1 of at least 21 countries described here that implement adult booster vaccinations), the risk-to-benefit ratio of immunization would improve due to a concomitant decrease in vaccine-associated adverse events, including a reduction of approximately 13,200 medically attended local vaccine site reactions, approximately 800 cases of cellulitis, and up to 73 cases of ulcerated lesions that would be anticipated to occur when 15.2 million adult vaccinations are administered annually in the US...removing the recommendation of decennial adult booster vaccination would save approximately $1.03 billion annually in healthcare costs in the United States alone...It is possible that these cost savings could then be used to target vaccination programs to vulnerable populations of unvaccinated/undervaccinated people who currently account for the majority of tetanus and diphtheria cases

The reasoning given in the journal article is:
Well that's actually two lines of reasoning.

1) There are some low-probability, low impact side effects. That's a "cost" to the individual making the decision. To me that type of cost is negligible. YMMV.

2) Arm-waving based on public health statistics. I am not a statistic that can be x% sick. I am either sick or I am not sick. I am not interested in contributing a few micro-cents to mitigate society's health care costs in exchange for risking being sick. It's the same type of reasoning that leads to not doing PSA tests. Which I also reject. YMMV.

IMO the only reason to avoid a tetanus jab is if one is very, very safe from being exposed to the tetanus bacterium. I am not sure if "very, very, safe" coincides with most normal lifestyles. YMMV.

I haven't seen a doctor in [-]over 10 [/-] 17 years and was thinking about a tetanus shot. I read it's recommend to get one every 10 years. Do people get one that often in practice?

Not worth getting any vaccine. Except for an anti-tetanos shot, but only after an incident (scratches from through rusted metal, open wound in contact with soil etc).

I personally do not trust anything else.

... on the same day I get an amalgam filling. My body may be working on fighting the mercury or something (not sure how that works). So much for being efficient with my traveling.

Why use such abomination (which should be eradicated!) named "amalgam filling"?? For the love of God, please go with white composite fillings.

I view medical advice the same way that I view legal or tax/accounting advice.

If, and when I need it, I consult a practicing professional.

We have a nephew with a new baby. He and his wife have announced to family (in a kind way - not confrontational) that no adult that isn't current with a Tdap shot can hold the baby (because of the "p"). When we get together in the summer, we'd like to hold the baby and to be able to help out with baby chores. We think we have both had a tetanus booster (and could've been Tdap?) within the past few years but we don't have it recorded in our medical records (or in our memories).

We don't see any downside to this. I am not going to consult my PCP. He would just say "go right ahead". What we are going to do is somehow make sure this makes it into our PCP's medical records.

A pharmacist will be able to answer any questions about the tetanus booster you had as well as administer a vaccine.

Looks like p is not included in the tetanus booster.

... We don't see any downside to this. ...
Well, it's a hassle and you may never succeed in finding the records and getting your master record updated. If it were me and it was medically safe, I'd just get another shot. Best case is insurance pays (probable because it is not in your record), worst case is you pay maybe the $105 price that CVS lists.

Well, it's a hassle and you may never succeed in finding the records and getting your master record updated. If it were me and it was medically safe, I'd just get another shot. Best case is insurance pays (probable because it is not in your record), worst case is you pay maybe the $105 price that CVS lists.

The "this" we don't see any downside to is getting the Tdap booster. As you say, at worst it costs us a little. How to get that added after the fact to my current provider's medical record for me is a question. Getting the shot at a CVS.

The "this" we don't see any downside to is getting the Tdap booster. As you say, at worst it costs us a little. How to get that added after the fact to my current provider's medical record for me is a question. Getting the shot at a CVS.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Getting the shot recorded would be a question for your regular provider. Our COVID shots were automatically added to our (unrelated) provider's records via some national system. Maybe that system covers other vaccinations, too. The provider will know.

Back
Top Bottom