What was the biggest unanticipated downside of your ER?

medved

Recycles dryer sheets
I continue to ruminate about how much longer I want to work. Reading this board is helpful in thinking through the issues. It seems most of the discussion focuses on the good things about ER. That is understandable because (1) there are lots of good things about ER, and (2) people here are mostly ER by choice, so if they did not like it they would be working.

But I am also interested in learning about what were the biggest negatives/downsides of your ER that you did not anticipate -- or that were worse than you anticipated?

I want to consider both the positives and the negatives that those who came before me have experienced.

I can't think of a downside other than having to get up early Monday mornings just to take out the garbage to the street. Not really unanticipated, just that before ER I never would have thought this to be a PITA. But now it is.

I've read from other retirees that ER won't solve any of your pre existing issues. Such as if your only social interaction is with your coworkers don't expect them to understand your new non working schedule. Retire to something rather than from something. I was only retired for 8 months before going back for a few more years. I wasn't ready mentally at 49. I was busy but I needed the mental problem solving part of the job.

Negatives in retirement, the Loch Ness Monster, and the Yeti all have two things in common: lots of people talk and write about them, but there have been no actual sightings.

I can't think of a downside other than having to get up early Monday mornings just to take out the garbage to the street. Not really unanticipated, just that before ER I never would have thought this to be a PITA. But now it is.

Could you take it out sometime on Sunday? That's what we do. Actually that's what he does, since he takes mine out for me now that I live next door. (Thank you, F!! :) )

As for a downside to retirement.. :ROFLMAO: Haven't found one yet either, other than the fact that I don't have a 25-year-old body anymore. But that would have been the case either way. Time has its way of doing that to us.

Also, when they come out with immortality pills, I'll be the first in line.

If I was offered the most perfect of full time jobs, with a bazillion dollar salary, I'd turn it down without thinking twice. By this time, I know how to find more than enough intellectual stimulation and social interaction independently (much more than any job could offer me, anyway). The worst day of retirement is better than the best day at work, for many of us.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, could you repeat the question?

I can think of only 1 unexpected negative about ER. It has been the increased uncertainty about obtaining and retaining affordable, comprehensive health insurance. (I am not looking to make this political, mods.) Since I ERed in late 2008, I have had 5 different HI policies from COBRA to a policy which left me underinsured for 2 1/2 years (pre-ACA). I faced some big premium increases (pre-ACA) which I thought was going to bust my budget. And now I am facing some more uncertainty with the ACA.

I can think of only 1 unexpected negative about ER. It has been the increased uncertainty about obtaining and retaining affordable, comprehensive health insurance. (I am not looking to make this political, mods.) Since I ERed in late 2008, I have had 5 different HI policies from COBRA to a policy which left me underinsured for 2 1/2 years (pre-ACA). I faced some big premium increases (pre-ACA) which I thought was going to bust my budget. And now I am facing some more uncertainty with the ACA.

+1

This was the only unexpected negative I came across in retirement. Initially the increase in cost was due to the fact that the same premiums were now paid for in after tax dollars plus I had no FSA or HSA available to pay for planned medical costs including dental with before tax dollars.

Then after a few years the company started pushing more and more of the costs onto retirees until 2 years ago when we were paying full cost which for us was $756/month for a PPO plan. Not a deal breaker but unexpected and when I looked for plans through the ACA none offered a PPO which we needed for our nomadic lifestyle in the immediate years following ER.

Saturdays and Sundays. Then comes the relief. TGIM.

I'm no longer saving the world, and that means a lot less admiration and congratulations per week.

There is the loss of work acquaintances, even though they were not quite friends, the daily interaction was close to friendship.

No new money flowing in, that you can sink into something because if it fails completely it doesn't affect what you already have stashed. Now I'm just re-allocating the stash, so a mistaken investment is more painful.

I have had no downside yet (2.5 years so far), I'll let you know when one comes up.

Don't hold your breath - :)

3 years in...someone posted this a long time ago and it holds true for me... "it's different than I thought it would be, but better "

For me going 180 MPH for so many years it a change going back to 55 MPH. Lol That really isn't a downside but it was something I needed to get use too. I don't have to get anything done if I don't want too unlike at work and that was a little hard to over come. I have only been out of the work force for 10 month's.

FIRE is a blessing and rewarding for hard work so if I think of that once in a while and say thanks. It is all good and really no bad side to RE.

Like a few others the cost of my health insurance has went from 128/month while working to 900/month 5 years into retirement. That is the only negative.

I planned for increases in health insurance.... but hadn't planned on hitting the high deductible limits two years in a row. We're a healthy family but our first year on the HDHP both my kids broke several bones in sports injuries. This past year I thought we were good... till my son needed jaw surgery to remove an ameloblastoma.

Yes - I budget for max OOP... but I *hope* to be able to roll over some of that budget item to the next year.... it just hasn't happened.

The uncertainty of getting insurance is also unnerving... especially since my son now officially has a "pre-existing condition" at age 16.

I guess the biggest unanticipated downside is that I'm much lazier than I thought I was... I am very good at putting off till tomorrow.

I have to agree with the Health insurance issue as being the one that blindsided me when I ER'd back in 2002. It took me totally by surprise that I could not get health insurance at all due to pre existing conditions which to my way of thinking were minimal (HBP for myself, Carpal Tunnel for my wife) I tried and tried and got a stack of rejection letters from all major health insurance carriers. The only way I finally found to get health insurance for myself and my wife was to start a "business" so I could get "group coverage". A business of 2 people selling goat milk soap! (thank you Costco at least for offering that coverage). Anyway, and I don't want to turn this political at all but Obamacare was a Godsend, I could finally get real health insurance. The insurance thru Costco, although much appreciated was very expensive and had some very significant limitations.

I think that for future ER's if there are any health issues this may again become a real issue and depending on which way the winds blow a lot of research would be recommended for this before ER. My experience with Health Insurance was not fun at all.

I thought I would be able to get back down to my "fighting weight' with all the extra time to work out, walk etc. I am healthier and less stressed, but photo's will prove I did not turn the clock back 20 year on my physique.

I will chalk that one up to unrealistic expectations.

One more. Even with more time to play, I did not get better at golf.

I'll have to get back with you when I find one. It has only been ten years.

One thing I did not project properly was that it is likely when I start taking SS and RMD's I will be in the 25% tax bracket, not the 15% bracket. If you have a high SS payment, and are single, there is very little room left between half of SS plus dividends to stay in the 15% bracket. I am still trying to wrap my head around this.

Also, with four non-COBRA years of health care before Medicare, I am a bit worried about what the ACA changes will be like. If we are honest about it, the rich people here that get ACA subsidies are gaming the system and that loophole will probably get closed.

I'm no longer saving the world, and that means a lot less admiration and congratulations per week.

There is the loss of work acquaintances, even though they were not quite friends, the daily interaction was close to friendship.

No new money flowing in, that you can sink into something because if it fails completely it doesn't affect what you already have stashed. Now I'm just re-allocating the stash, so a mistaken investment is more painful.

These observations seem about right for me although none of them were really unanticipated nor particularly problematic.

DW expects me to do more around the house? :LOL:

DD expects me to do more favors her since I have the time because I'm retired? :D

That's about it.

Last edited:
None so far, except medical insurance, which I think we all worry about. Bought Obamacare last September at the great price of $1,500 per month with a $1,000 deductible. Plan gone for 2017. Now we have a plan for $1,280 a month with a $2,500 deductible per person.

Just have to wait and see what Trump provides. Worst case, husband can do VA and don't know what I will do since I have a pre-existing condition. Well, I am supposedly cured by having a aortic valve replace back in 2013, but the insurance doesn't see it that way.

Back
Top Bottom