What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal news of the day is that I did my first walk-in visit to a retail outlet since quarantine. I'd had groceries dropped into my trunk and got gas, but since March 15th, haven't been inside anywhere.

The first place I went today was the last place I was on 3/15 ... my local brew pub.

I really want to support them, but they didn't come out with curb service (for growler fills), so I've been putting it off. Finally, I had an email exchange with the manager, and decided to walk in. There were three, twenty-somethings from the local university in there, picking up food and beer. I got my growler filled while DW waited in the car.

I just threw it out there to my bride..."hey, you wanna go over to the pub and pick-up a growler? They don't have curb service, but I can go in." She said yes, and the rest is history. Even with my N95, I felt the virus creeping into my body through my eyes, hehe!

On the plus side, I have started the journal that I've been promising myself I'd start so I'll know where I "got it", if I "get it". I'm already participating in a daily symptom monitoring "UCSF TemPredict Survey" (because I use an Oura Ring for sleep tracking).

I’m actually thankful that some other states are willing to dip their toes in the water before California. Let someone else see how it goes before we take any action. Of course if you are a resident of one of those states you may feel differently. But hopefully you can still make the choice to stay home even if things are opening up.

I’m actually thankful that some other states are willing to dip their toes in the water before California. Let someone else see how it goes before we take any action. Of course if you are a resident of one of those states you may feel differently. But hopefully you can still make the choice to stay home even if things are opening up.

Yes, we’ll be sheltering watching what happens nearby over the next two weeks or so.

This will be difficult. Your average politician will be looking to pass the buck with respect to reopening decisions to avoid being blamed when any subsequent uptick in infection rate occurs.

Not in NY. Cuomo said "if you don't like [fill in the blank], blame ME."

Not in NY. Cuomo said "if you don't like [fill in the blank], blame ME."
That's one of the reasons I like him. My Governor, Ned Lamont, has also been good about taking responsibility. But I have spent many years observing politicians of all stripes dodging responsibility.

That's one of the reasons I like him. My Governor, Ned Lamont, has also been good about taking responsibility. But I have spent many years observing politicians of all stripes dodging responsibility.

NY, CT, NJ, all three in lockstep as all three states workforces are so intertwined.
If either one balks it could a problem all around.

I don't know why they're bothering to release prisoners at all. The governor said it's to help with social distancing, but he also said there are nearly 50,000 prisoners just in the state prisons. Releasing a few hundred does nothing to allow social distancing. It's a joke. Therefore, why are they bothering to test the prison population? It's probably for data purposes. Is that a valid use for limited test kits vs. using them on the general population?

As far as nursing homes, as I've said, DS works in the kitchen of one.
It’s probably not PC, so I’ll refrain from commenting any further on prisoners, except to note that crime is down in many cities.
Sorry, I missed that your DS works in one. Hope he stays well!

This will be difficult. Your average politician will be looking to pass the buck with respect to reopening decisions to avoid being blamed when any subsequent uptick in infection rate occurs.

Also businesses are looking to be not held liable if they reopen and their employees and customers become infected and sick or worse.

Also businesses are looking to be not held liable if they reopen and their employees and customers become infected and sick or worse.

This cannot be said enough. If people are suspicious of "the government" remember, there is no magic morality or righteousness in the so-called private sector. They seek to operate without any obstructions other than "market mechanisms" as defined on the fly whenever it's to their advantage.
Privatize the benefits and Socialize the fall-out. It's been said on this forum enough times over the years.

This is something I have been wondering about. If a business like a restaurant reopens and has an infectious employee and I go there and catch the virus from the infectious employee can I sue the business for infecting me?

This is something I have been wondering about. If a business like a restaurant reopens and has an infectious employee and I go there and catch the virus from the infectious employee can I sue the business for infecting me?

Seems like it would be tough to prove that's where you got the infection.

I think the easy answer is: In our system, you can sue just about anyone for just about anything. It may be problematic to win or even get your suit into a court. Still, it IS the American way. Many years ago, a woman ran a red light and T-boned my dad's car. SHE sued him (never went anywhere, but the point is made...) YMMV

Of course you can sue. But, winning damages might be tough.

Proving you caught the virus from that particular employee at that particular restaurant might be challenging. No doubt, an attorney would be able to show you had at least a few other opportunities to become infected during the same time frame.

If you had proof that the owner had knowledge of the employee's infected status and did not act to have him/her stay home from work, that might be an avenue.........

Last edited:
Getting back to COVID news of the day:

Ohio has implemented a testing task force to be headed by 2 former governors. The tentative plan on reopening may be hospital and medical services first, then manufacturing and offices, then retail. No amusement parks, concerts, fairs, etc. No proposed timeline was stated.

The nursing home that had 15 cases last week now has 58 cases. Not the facility DS works at, but in the same small family-owned chain. Not all test results are in. They're supposed to get correct nursing home data up on the website by tomorrow.

ETA: The governor said that it was never realistic to think that we could be shut down for as long as a year to 18 months.

Last edited:

You better do it quickly if you're gonna do it! :D

Business organizations are already lobbying the federal government for legislation to hold them harmless if they reopen and their employees fall ill from Covid, and I doubt they would hold you in higher regard than their employees.

Every COVID commercial is exactly the same. No, really.

Omigod, that was magnificent! So I'm not crazy - all the ads are running together in my head. :D

In the past two weeks the following organizations have emailed or texted me (or both) to let me know "we are here for you in this difficult time, we are a family, we will get through this together." Umm, OK. Just keep the water and the electricity flowing and I'm good! I don't really need them to be my BFF. :facepalm:

AAA
Best Buy
CAVA Restaurant
Hulu
Netflix
Amazon
My water company
My electric company
My propane company
My credit union
My car repair shop
Nationwide Car Insurance
My waste disposal company
A salon where I had my hair cut one time a year ago!
A car dealer where I test drove a car one time 10 years ago!

I feel so cared for. Maybe I'll write back to all of 'em and ask them to pick up some groceries for me - seeing as we're all family now. :LOL:

I would think that any business is subject to the health requirements that they have always been required to follow. Covid is just an infectious virus. There are all sorts of health risks in addition to Covid. Same rules apply. Food poisoning is probably equally dangerous. In addition to the previous regulations, businesses will be required to follow any new and current regulations.

Dr. Scott Gottlieb former FDA director was interviewed about this and he said there generally haven’t been lawsuits from someone catching an infectious disease in a business, but I can see how if workers are pressured to work in an unsafe environment, that there ciukd be trouble.

Omigod, that was magnificent! So I'm not crazy - all the ads are running together in my head. :D

In the past two weeks the following organizations have emailed or texted me (or both) to let me know "we are here for you in this difficult time, we are a family, we will get through this together." Umm, OK. Just keep the water and the electricity flowing and I'm good! I don't really need them to be my BFF. :facepalm:

AAA
Best Buy
CAVA Restaurant
Hulu
Netflix
Amazon
My water company
My electric company
My propane company
My credit union
My car repair shop
Nationwide Car Insurance
My waste disposal company
A salon where I had my hair cut one time a year ago!
A car dealer where I test drove a car one time 10 years ago!

I feel so cared for. Maybe I'll write back to all of 'em and ask them to pick up some groceries for me - seeing as we're all family now. :LOL:

You have excellent taste. Cava is my #1 fave restaurant. My location stopped serving lentils, I assume its Covid related.

You have excellent taste. Cava is my #1 fave restaurant. My location stopped serving lentils, I assume its Covid related.

From the multiple emails I've received from them, it appears they are offering contact-less takeout service. I haven't taken them up on it, but from a quick glance at the emails it appears they may have cut back on some of the menu items.

Before CV I ate there several times a month with family and friends - I miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom