What was your happiest moment today?

Finally got a new doc to follow our various thyroid issues. Old (I mean olderenu*) doc moved on, leaving us high and dry. Gotta keep those various hormones and calcium levels under control. Finding a new "specialty" doc in the Islands often comes down to finding someone new to the profession. All the old ones are "taken."

*Shout out in memory of imoldernu. RIP old friend. Still fond of him and his amazing posts. You young'uns should go back and read his great posts. Returning you now...

Got the invoice today for the replacement HVAC system that is scheduled to be installed Friday. I was very happy to learn the state does not change sales tax on residential real estate repairs. My new heat pump system is $1K less than I thought!!

Several posters have noted in here that happiness generally equates to better health ("other things being equal" - e.g., genetically-based diseases, and of course YMMV). And many have mused that the "simple things" (e.g., sunsets, walks in the great outdoors) now mean more to them than material things, and that these "simple things" mean more to them as they age.

However - one poster, interestingly enough, pointed out, "Then why do we have a 'pet peeve of the day' page in here but not a 'happy moments' page?" Good question, and one that I want to address. If happiness generally equates to better health, then we should enjoy and pass on our happy moments - right? Maybe readers can also smile at our happy moments and maintain or improve their health. I'm hoping so.

So with that in mind, what was your happiest moment today?

I'll start. My happiest moment yesterday was when I got to the hotel last night and relished that fact that I'm that much closer to my last hour of w*rk before retirement (which will be Monday at 9:00 - out-processing from the military!).

I like waking up every morning. :dance:

Last edited:
Got the invoice today for the replacement HVAC system that is scheduled to be installed Friday. I was very happy to learn the state does not change sales tax on residential real estate repairs. My new heat pump system is $1K less than I thought!!

Hah! We pay tax on the tax that the installers pay. That's why they call it an excise tax instead of a sales tax I guess. In any case (IIRC) we don't pay excise on drugs. That's it.:(

I tested the new titanium seatpost on my folding e-bike. I got it primarily for the natural shock absorption properties of Ti, secondarily for lightness. The hype was real, tamed the jolts from the road surfaces where I normally have to rise up out the saddle, so kind to my behind. DH said he could tell I was mentally going WHEEEE! as I zipped downhill. Looking forward to see how this upgrade improves my experience running bike errands tomorrow!

Getting my permanent TENS (or whatever it's called) installed in my back. Feels better already (though not the incision.) YMMV

Getting my October/November home electric bill of $104.00 and that includes charging my Chevy Bolt EUV for the whole period. Drove 1,200 miles over that month.:)

Plus running house A/C for maybe 1/3 the time.

We fund a scholarship awarded to a student every year at my old college. The college asks the recipient to send us a letter telling us about them, what they plan to do and how the money helped them. Today the letter arrived.

Here is just the last paragraph.

“This scholarship will have a significant impact on my academic journey. It will alleviate the financial burden of my education and allow me to focus on my studies. I would like to express my admiration for your dedication and commitment to supporting students like me. I hope to someday be able to pay it forward.”

Feeling a little warm and fuzzy inside.

We fund a scholarship awarded to a student every year at my old college. The college asks the recipient to send us a letter telling us about them, what they plan to do and how the money helped them. Today the letter arrived.

“This scholarship will have a significant impact on my academic journey. It will alleviate the financial burden of my education and allow me to focus on my studies. I would like to express my admiration for your dedication and commitment to supporting students like me. I hope to someday be able to pay it forward.”

Reading that made me happy , too. Go GenZ!

I like waking up every morning. :dance:
Me too. I like it so much I wake up 3 or 4 times each morning before dawn. Since I'm awake, I figure I might as well get up and go pee.:blush:

Last edited:
I tested the new titanium seatpost on my folding e-bike. I got it primarily for the natural shock absorption properties of Ti, secondarily for lightness. The hype was real, tamed the jolts from the road surfaces where I normally have to rise up out the saddle, so kind to my behind. DH said he could tell I was mentally going WHEEEE! as I zipped downhill. Looking forward to see how this upgrade improves my experience running bike errands tomorrow!

Wow! That sounds FANTASTIC, Cowbell! I'm pretty darn hooked to the "e-bike experience" with my RAD mini, but it sounds like you're at a whole new and higher level! Have a great time on your errands - I'm sure you will!

And, P.S. - gotta love your handle! All those Blue Oyster Cult memories. I even had a t-shirt years ago (I may still have it) with a sketch of that young Will Ferrell doin' the Reaper song, and underneath, the phrase, "More Cowbell!" :LOL:

Getting my October/November home electric bill of $104.00 and that includes charging my Chevy Bolt EUV for the whole period. Drove 1,200 miles over that month.:)

Plus running house A/C for maybe 1/3 the time.

Wow...nice...1200 miles in one month? Was that all done while charging from home? Any idea what percent of that 104.00 was the cost of charging the Bolt?

That is so great, COcheesehead! Thank you for making a difference in a student’s life!

Wow! That sounds FANTASTIC, Cowbell! I'm pretty darn hooked to the "e-bike experience" with my RAD mini, but it sounds like you're at a whole new and higher level! Have a great time on your errands - I'm sure you will!

And, P.S. - gotta love your handle! All those Blue Oyster Cult memories. I even had a t-shirt years ago (I may still have it) with a sketch of that young Will Ferrell doin' the Reaper song, and underneath, the phrase, "More Cowbell!" :LOL:

Thanks Timeisprecious! I don’t know that I’m at a higher level, just that I have a different set of priorities. Some folks can’t tell it’s an e-bike because it looks like a dorky relic from the 70s, but it gets me up a .8 mile 10% grade as long as I keep pedaling. TBH for most neighborhood errands and multi-modal transit this e-bike is actually faster than driving. Now that riding is more WHEEEE! than OW-OW-OW! I’ll probably ride it more.

Here’s a video clip of that classic SNL sketch, hope it makes you smile!

i had a phone conversation with a civil engineer who sounds like he can help us out on the house site plan issues. It had been weighing heavily on me.

Woke up this morning with less coughing! Going on week three, with 3 dr visits for this darn thing. No covid/flu/rsv detected, probably just exacerbated asthma, Dr started me on prednisone inhaler first visit and prednisone pills this last visit. Don't like the shakiness/anxiety feeling I get from prednisone, but it is helping.
Feel happy and grateful I am not coughing constantly right now.

The spalling contractor came today - after two years! Start Monday. Yeah! It's just possible we won't have to pay for it. I think it should be the building's issues (as it's their wall) but I guess it will be what it will be.

Last coat of paint applied and dried. Looks great and the screens fit again (spalling upwells the concrete and binds the screens across the lanai.) SO FAR not a mention of any money due from me. The guys doing the job were great. I'm really happy with the job they did and the fact that it is DONE!

Back
Top Bottom