What would you like to see in Quicken?

I know this is not the purpose of your beta testing, but it would be great if you could slip a comment in there about needing a full blown Macintosh version of Quicken. It's OK to run the Windows version through Parallels, but it's really the only Windows application I run, and needing to maintain an entire copy of Windows and Parallels is expensive and a big resource hog. How hard could it be to port Quicken to Macintosh? It's a growing installed base, and there is really no good competition in the segment.

Completely agreed and submitted as suggestion.

Why not restore from a backup copy that Quicken automatically makes for you? That's one of its redeeming qualities.

Quickens backup isn't completely foolproof. It doesn't have a scheduled backup, it only backs up after x number of uses. So you could have made a lot of entries in the time the last backup was made. Doing a restore would wipe those out. That's a pain if the only thing you are trying to fix is missing price history for one stock. It also doesn't allow the location to be specified so if the HD it is on dies the backup files go with it.

It would be nice to have real linux version.

Quickens backup isn't completely foolproof. It doesn't have a scheduled backup, it only backs up after x number of uses...
True.

However, I bring up and close Quicken enough times in a day (to peek at my stocks) that there is usually a not-so-stale backup copy I can restore from.

And when it prompts me for a "manual" back up every so often, I point it to a directory on my home network drive. So, that's another backup.

I do lose manual edits, but that's mostly my wife's 401k MF price quotes. These MFs are proprietary, and they have no Quicken auto download feature. I have to log in daily to get the price.

I can get the rest of the changes by just doing another download of all accounts. So, it's inconvenient, but I had worse problems with MS Money.

Oh my. Quicken on Mac was terrible when I used it (admittedly), several years ago). I want to go full Apple, but Quicken is the sticking point.

Ditto here. Was a longtime Quicken user until the household went all Mac. Quicken for Mac has been a disappointment so I no longer use it.

Switched out of Quicken this year because it is not fully featured on Apple computers.

Oh my. Quicken on Mac was terrible when I used it (admittedly), several years ago). I want to go full Apple, but Quicken is the sticking point.

And the worst part - the Intuit CEO was on the Apple Board of Directors!

Years ago, my SIL tried to move some Quicken files from Windows to Mac. She had big problems, I researched it and found it was fraught with problems moving either way.

I prefer cross platform solutions, but don't use any specific financial programs, other than spreadsheets and on-line tools.

-ERD50

Occasionally, I have seen a bad price quote. I would go into the price history of that symbol, delete the current price, do an online update, and see that bad price get downloaded again.

The problem I reported earlier is not the above. The entire time history of a position got blanked out or erased. It is definitely a bug in Quicken. It does not happen every time, if that's what you meant by reproducible. However, it has happened on the average perhaps once a month for me. And it hits a different equity position each time.

I have always been able to restore from a backup, so it has been an inconvenience rather than a catastrophe. I wonder if it isn't a problem with software timing, due to multiple threads executing asynchronously and stepping on each other somehow.

I have had the same thing happen and had to restore from backup too. Quicken did not allow me to manually enter the missing quote.

Years ago we banked with a large national institution and enjoyed the full Direct Connect. We could enter a check in the Quicken register and it would be sent to the bank for processing on the date specified.
Now that we have switched to a local bank we can only download xactions that have already cleared. This is the Web Connect interface; our bank says the Direct Connect is too expensive for them to support (Intuit charges them for it).
Not a horrible inconvenience, but it would be nice if they would extend the Direct Connect feature to all banks.

I would like to see a better interface with mobile apps. I don't always have my laptop with me but do have my iPhone or iPad.

Ability to suppress showing all the N/A accounts in any report.

Yes, I have had that happen and others have reported it, and intuit ignores it. I fixed by downloading price history from yahoo, save as csv file then import into quicken using the file import function. The tricky part is getting the import file into a format that quicken accepts.

In such a case, just correct the bad price quote, but leave the record intact. I haven't had Quicken overwrite a deliberate correction on me yet.

That happened to me as well, and I couldn't do a manual update of the PPS. I deleted the specific account and entered it anew.

I have had the same thing happen and had to restore from backup too. Quicken did not allow me to manually enter the missing quote.

Good to know I am not the only one seeing the problem (Good??).

Anyway, as the problem surfaces under Parallels on the Mac, it is more likely the problem is with Quicken, and not Windows. In the past, I have unfairly blamed an app for a problem caused by the OS.

Last edited:
I would like to see better / additional asset class categories for securities

I second this request. I have a portfolio that has custom asset classes. I cannot use quicken to properly visualize this portfolio since I am not using their standard stock/bond asset classes.

I would like to see custom asset classes and then the ability to show reports and pie graphs for just those asset classes.

Not a horrible inconvenience, but it would be nice if they would extend the Direct Connect feature to all banks.
I don't miss Direct Connect, though I thought I would. Most of what we pay we pay electronically, and setting that all up in our online bill payment service (Fidelity) was no trouble. The transactions get downloaded into Quicken so we're still entering them just once. The issue, for Quicken, though, is that it makes Quicken far less important to me. By charging so much for Direct Connect, they're possibly doing themselves a disservice.

I would like to totalize the "find" function. This seems obvious to me, but, so far, I've not been able to find it. Perhaps I've missed it. "numbers is hard" :) If so, please explain how to totalize the "find" function.

In other words, say I've been going to a gas station or restaurant for the last ten years. I "find" the gas station or restaurant, but I have not been able to totalize the amount of money I spent there without adding it up manually. The same thing applies to the "category" function. A totalizer function with an optional date range would be nice.

Thanks

I would like to totalize the "find" function. This seems obvious to me, but, so far, I've not been able to find it. Perhaps I've missed it. "numbers is hard" :) If so, please explain how to totalize the "find" function.

In other words, say I've been going to a gas station or restaurant for the last ten years. I "find" the gas station or restaurant, but I have not been able to totalize the amount of money I spent there without adding it up manually. The same thing applies to the "category" function. A totalizer function with an optional date range would be nice.

Thanks

Already there I think - run an Easy Answer report of "How much did I pay to" [select vendor(s)] and the period. than you can customize as desired. Category would use the "How much did I spend on" report.

Thanks

Could you be wanting REPORTS and then "Spending by Payee" using the "customize" function to "clear all" payees and then going back to recheck that one payee that you want to see? Same goes for "Spending by Category".

Kindest regards.

I second this request. I have a portfolio that has custom asset classes. I cannot use quicken to properly visualize this portfolio since I am not using their standard stock/bond asset classes.

I would like to see custom asset classes and then the ability to show reports and pie graphs for just those asset classes.

Agreed and reported. I have a separate spreadsheet where I have only 2 main classes: bonds and stocks and I that's what I use for high level decision making.

Would be nice to be able to do it in Quicken.

Thanks

If I understood you correctly you would like to report on how much money you spent either per payee or category.

The easiest way would be to find and highlight a desired transaction in your account. Then right mouse click (on the name of your gas station or category) and the select a mini report from the drop-down menu. See attached.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• report.png
    report.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
Why can't I change an account type from asset to retirement account? (the wrong type was entered by mistake a long time ago and has lots of transactions in it now).

Thanks for any input.

Try this. Click on that asset account in the Accounts bar to the left side of the screen. Then select Edit Account Details under the Account Actions button in the upper right corner of the screen for that account. The select the Display Options tab and change the Account Intent pulldown and then click on OK.

If I understood you correctly you would like to report on how much money you spent either per payee or category.

The easiest way would be to find and highlight a desired transaction in your account. Then right mouse click (on the name of your gas station or category) and the select a mini report from the drop-down menu. See attached.
Hope this helps.

Thanks

This will work. However, the original post said "If you have any wishes..."

Personally, I wish the "find" function that I use almost every day would have an instant total.

The "find" function lets me see the date, the account, the check#, the payee ,the category, any memos and the amount simultaneously and instantly. An instant total would be nice.

To help you understand where I am coming from, I have kept a personal journal for over 35 years. I probably have more detail in the various Quicken fields than you are accustomed to seeing. I regard Quicken as a supplement to my personal journal as well as an indispensible financial tool.

That reminds me I would also like to see larger "Payee" and "Memo" fields.

Thanks again

Try this. Click on that asset account in the Accounts bar to the left side of the screen. Then select Edit Account Details under the Account Actions button in the upper right corner of the screen for that account. The select the Display Options tab and change the Account Intent pulldown and then click on OK.

Thank you for commenting.

I don't have some of those choices (Account Actions; Display Options tab; Account Intent). I have Account Location.

Further looking into the screens for Account List and Manage Accounts and then Help - I see that Help for the "Change Group" feature has a note: "This feature requires Quicken Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business."

I am running Quicken 2007 Deluxe Release R 1

Also did some reading on "unlocking" features. So, guessing here - there's a fee if I want to add the "change group" feature...

Kindest regards.

Back
Top Bottom