What's in your coffee?

Half and half or whole milk, whichever is closer to the front of the shelf.

I am not a fan of flavored coffees other than a properly made Irish Coffee. I used to be a fan of New Mexico Piñon coffee until I learned that they no longer put roasted pine nuts into it. Instead they only use pine nut flavoring. Very sad.

coffee mate and whipped cream.

We've been using heavy cream for a few years now and it is awesome. Then DW'S cholesterol went bat chit crazy(total over 350) and mine is high also.

Dr google suggests that saturated fats should be much lower than both of us are consuming. Three servings of heavy cream are over half of the daily recommended amount! Half and half is like water, other substances have been a disappointment.

So what healthy options do you use in your coffee?

I used to use half and half and ton of sugar in my coffee. It was probably only half coffee by the time I was done doctoring it up. However, years ago I was working as a mechanic, and we always had coffee (shop provided it), but never half and half or sugar. I started drinking it black in the mornings for the pick-me-up only, even though I didn't like it. However, the longer I drank it that way, the more I liked it, until black was the only way I could drink my coffee. I can't stand any cream or sugar in a coffee now (and is truly the way coffee is meant to be drank). Might be worth giving it a try and seeing if you follow a similar path.

I also switched to decaf. I started drinking a lot of coffee and energy drinks while deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan due to crazy hours and needing to always be at 100%. Then going to college, I further increased my caffeine intake. And then in medical school, my caffeine intake went through the roof. Once I finished my first and toughest board exam at the end of my second year, I gave up caffeine altogether. It was terrible. Headaches, feeling run down, etc. for the first few days. But after quitting the caffeine my sleep improved dramatically, and now if I skip my morning coffee for a day or even a few days I don't worry about any sort of withdrawal. This being said, I'm not super strict about it. If decaf is not available, I'll happily grab a regular coffee.

I do not adulterate my coffee. I prefer the darkest roast.

Bit of half and half. Prefer it to whole cream. Figure I can get away with the tiny added carbs.

I was introduced to coffee regulah in Boston sometime early morning on a disaster recovery. We said "sure" to regulah when asked, thinking that's black. I mean why would anyone call anything other than black coffee regulah? We'd been up almost 24 hours and were looking to another 12 before anyone took a break. Imagine the look on my face when I took a big drink of sugary, creamy at 3 AM.

Same in NYC, at least when I was young. Regular means milk and sugar.

I always drink my coffee black, made from freshly roasted beans.

If you watch this documentary "Fat: A Documentary" you might worry more about sugar and carbohydrates than you do dietary fat. The interesting part about cholesterol starts at 27:08

I always drink my coffee black, made from freshly roasted beans.

If you watch this documentary "Fat: A Documentary" you might worry more about sugar and carbohydrates than you do dietary fat. The interesting part about cholesterol starts at 27:08
Thanks I'll check it out.

I actually was targeting a higher fat diet for the last couple years. Unfortunately my bloodwork hasn't been great over the last two years.

However it may be a couple of dietary issues. In addition to eating too much saturated fat I eat too much sugar in the form of Ben and Jerrys, and Brookside chocolate. Both are loaded with saturated fat and sugar. So they've been banned for a while, perhaps forever.
My plan is to:
Lower saturated fats
Lower refined sugar
Add fiber
Add healthy unsaturated fats
Get back to the gym

One great thing is my consumption has been so decadent it's easy to make big changes.

Last edited:
I add hydrolized Collagen Peptide to my morning coffee w hazelnut cream. Taste great. And the peptides have strengthened by joints and knee. The side effect was less wrinkled around my eyes. [emoji38]

Thanks I'll check it out.

I actually was targeting a higher fat diet for the last couple years. Unfortunately my bloodwork hasn't been great over the last two years.

However it may be a couple of dietary issues. In addition to eating too much saturated fat I eat too much sugar in the form of Ben and Jerrys, and Brookside chocolate. Both are loaded with saturated fat and sugar. So they've been banned for a while, perhaps forever.
My plan is to:
Lower saturated fats
Lower refined sugar
Add fiber
Add healthy unsaturated fats
Get back to the gym

One great thing is my consumption has been so decadent it's easy to make big changes.

In actuality, for most people most of the time, keeping weight down and exercising appears to be more beneficial to cholesterol than diet, but this is an area of active research and a lot of debate. Of course, weight, exercise, and diet tend to go hand in hand.

When younger and working, there was a coffeeshop slap bang next to my work. I could trot out of my studio and be there in about 30 seconds. I'd have a very large coffee, loaded with creamer and sugar. Went through something like half a dozen of those a day.

Now in retirement, I have slowed down and have 2 medium black coffees in the morning only, made at home. No creamer or sugar. However, about once a week, when on a Starbucks date with my SO, I'll have creamer, but no sugar.

I love the dry creamer made by Carnation, french vanilla. I like to make my coffee very strong in my Kuerig, with the creamer in the bottom of my cup. My soft addiction. One large cup, once a day, it gets me out of bed.

Last edited:
I'm another one who doesn't put anything in my coffee. And it's gotta be hot. Won't drink it once it cools off, and don't even think about putting ice in it. Yuck!
Bought a nice stainless insulated mug with a ceramic coating, keeps it hot much longer and the ceramic coating is nicer than plain stainless. No metal taste.
My wife uses half/half + honey. We normally drink Community dark roast hazelnut.

I'm probably not quite as much a connoisseur of coffee as many of you here. However, I do love my coffee! I usually just brew up a pot of the regular Dunkin Donuts coffee and use the store hazelnut creamer (often the "off brand"). DW loves it that way too, but she just has one 16 oz cup. Me? One 20 oz mug in the morning and another for the road. ;)

I use whole milk and only drink 2 cups a day in the morning so I don't see a concern for that little bit of fat. I do watch the amount of saturated fat in other foods though. We eat very little red meat but more sea food, veggies, fruits, and beans. Then we stay as active as possible with my wife playing tennis most every day and me riding my recumbent trike about 12 miles a day.
It all has an impact on keeping the numbers good.
You do realize that sugar is a seriously contributing factor for making your own saturated fat that in turn impacts your cholesterol levels. What is your sugar intake? Do you eat processed food and not know the sugar that has been added to most? I would start looking at eating habits other than a small amount of cream in your coffee unless you are drinking a large amount of coffee.

Cheers!

Heavy cream, or half-and-half, or black.

No sweeteners or “creamers”...

I learned to drink black coffee in the last two years. About once every other day, I put in cream. Usually heavy cream. Once in a great while I make bulletproof coffee, adding 0.5 tbsp of MCT oil and a tiny splash of cream. Unless I mix with a stick blender, the oil rises to the surface. Frankly that is just too much trouble.

I add hydrolized Collagen Peptide to my morning coffee w hazelnut cream. Taste great. And the peptides have strengthened by joints and knee. The side effect was less wrinkled around my eyes. [emoji38]

Darn, wished I had known about this sooner. :( If I started doing this a few years ago maybe I wouldn't need the hip implant scheduled for next week and I could also look 10 years younger!

I use whole milk and only drink 2 cups a day in the morning so I don't see a concern for that little bit of fat. I do watch the amount of saturated fat in other foods though. We eat very little red meat but more sea food, veggies, fruits, and beans. Then we stay as active as possible with my wife playing tennis most every day and me riding my recumbent trike about 12 miles a day.
It all has an impact on keeping the numbers good.
You do realize that sugar is a seriously contributing factor for making your own saturated fat that in turn impacts your cholesterol levels. What is your sugar intake? Do you eat processed food and not know the sugar that has been added to most? I would start looking at eating habits other than a small amount of cream in your coffee unless you are drinking a large amount of coffee.

Cheers!

Our diet had been quite good while I was logging all our food in MFP. Haven't for a year or so, but I did for a couple days. It's clear to see what we're getting too much of, including sugar and saturated fats. Thanks..

Also add collagen to my black coffee. Haven't noticed fewer wrinkles, but my joints feel better. If I'm getting coffee at most restaurants, I use half and half because most restaurant coffee isn't very good, imho.

Back
Top Bottom