What's in your coffee?

Costco whole beans, fresh grounded in French press, add half-half and Hazelnut Stevia 5 drops. More worried about carbs than fat. Cholesterol all good. Our football team won yesterday so will be adding a Dunkin Donuts iced unsweetened french vanilla later, add my own Stevia. Hate Splenda.

I bought an inexpensive Delonghi cappuccino machine years ago. Every few years I upgrade to the newer version. So, espresso (4 shots) then steamed 1% milk and stevia. Once/day. Kicks me into gear at 6:30 am, then no more coffee for the rest of the day.

I've always had to watch my weight so trained myself early in life to drink black coffee, even Folgers. Eventually the coffee craze came with coffees that actually taste good without cream. I never cared for sugar in my coffee. Occasionally I will splurge on cream, e.g., coffee after a meal at a fine restaurant, or have a latte when traveling as a source of calcium.

Last edited:
Black: I Prefer to CHEW My Calories

Having been obese most of my younger years, I'm committed to maintaining my huge weight loss of over 200 pounds which I've held at bay for over 15 years.

So it's black coffee for me, as I'm not convinced that all those sugar-free chemicals have a backlash that may haunt me in the future.

Don

Before you go worrying about your cholesterol please watch these 2 videos (in any order)...
and

Note: I wouldn't rely on Braumeister for medical advice... I think there might be a few calories in cream ;) enjoy your saturated fats. If you enjoy full-cream milk find some other way to adjust. Just my two cents worth.

Having said that Dr Neal Barnard, one of my heroes would argue you should stay away from dairy altogether.

Spoiler alert: The standard measures of cholesterol are meaningless because they're just a snapshot of what's happening to your body's energy levels. Eat lots of fat for 3 days then measure cholesterol.... in most cases it will drop ... ask your Doctor to explain that and play fair!

Sometimes I do splurge with some real cream when eating out and that is truly a delight...

Usually black for me too, but every once in a while real cream sounds so luxurious that I have to indulge. My sister has an excuse for everyone that loves cream but settles for something lighter. Her line...the heavier it is, the less you need to use. Which is not only calorie-positive, but also means hotter coffee. Doubly positive.

Kroger brand

The wife uses Kroger's Sugar-Free liquid creamer in her coffee and tea. After not drinking coffee for something like 40 years I started to drink a cup a day or so recently, and use her creamer as well. Low in calories, fat, and obviously sugar.

Black coffee with a heaping tablespoon of raw (not alkali processed) cocoa powder. Tastes great and gives me a daily shot of flavanols that have been shown to improve brain function, fight cancer, help the cardiovascular system, etc.

I like it so much plain coffee just doesn't satisfy me anymore.

Last edited:
You can diminish the butterfat slowly, e. g., mix the heavy cream with half and half for awhile, gradually change the ratio to all half and half. Use less of whatever you put in. Maybe later, reduce the half and half by mixing with whole milk.

Or, give up red meat and cheese!

Look into Cholest-off by Nature Made. It is plant sterols, which are absorbed through the intestines, blocking the way for cholesterol. And niacin is also supposed to reduce the serum cholesterol.

Increase portions of vegetables (add something besides butter, like a bit of olive oil) and decrease portions of meat. Healthier in many ways.

Heavy whipping cream.
Saturated fat is a wonderful thing, and very low in carbs.
Yes, I know that's not the accepted position. :cool:

Agreed. I use whipping cream for cereal, over blueberries, & for drinks, & my numbers please my doctor.

Note: I wouldn't rely on Braumeister for medical advice... I think there might be a few calories in cream ;) enjoy your saturated fats. If you enjoy full-cream milk find some other way to adjust. Just my two cents worth.

So, we shouldn’t rely on Braumeister, but we should rely on you? Sorry, I’ll pass on that.

Why not stop by here and introduce yourself to the community. You can even share with us why we should take your advice.

Heavy cream and/or Best Fats

I will avoid the overall point on saturated fats as “bad” except to say that this along with total cholesterol level being an issue has basically been debunked. Ignore the game changer video as well, also debunked. (I’m avoiding the overall nutrition question primarily because 1)you haven’t really asked it and 2) it depends a lot about what else your diet looks like....
So, for coffee...I use either heavy cream, (why wouldn’t anyone deny themselves that wonderful taste!), or a powder supplement called Best Fats, a product created by Dr Bitman (BYU). Very good stuff (you can get online at bestfats.com, FYI....)

I appreciate the videos, but an hour + 1/2 is more time than I wish to spend listening to doctors explain why I should avoid cream. I put 1/2 can of whipped cream on my dessert almost every night. Don't put it in my coffee. I eat yogurt, drink milk, enjoy cheese, eat eggs and would own a dairy farm if I could afford one.

I had a high score of my triglyceride was over 300 [emoji33]. I researched coffee and found that without a paper filter when brewing coffee, the the oils in coffee can increase your cholesterol. I was using my Italian Bialetti coffee maker. Loved the strong flavor and the jolt!

Here is a link to an article:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6242467/ns/health-heart_health/t/coffee-cholesterol/#.XdAoCIyIahA

I returned to a drip coffee maker and then my added condiment in my coffee. I used to use the Carnation French Vanilla but now use nonfat condensed milk and non fat milk. I take a half a can on of the condensed milk and mix it in a 24 ounces of non fat milk and it was decent. If you wish you can add vanilla abstract for more add flavor. You can adjust the sweetness by adding less or more condensed milk if you wish. My blood/sugar has always been good so I don’t have issues with sugar.

The end results were good, my triglycerides are back to normal after getting more exercise and adjusting my diet.
I do believe that everything you eat is cumulative and since I drink two big cups of coffee in the morning may have added to my triglycerides. It has been two years and everything is back to normal. YMMV....

I had a high score of my triglyceride was over 300 [emoji33]. I researched coffee and found that without a paper filter when brewing coffee, the the oils in coffee can increase your cholesterol. I was using my Italian Bialetti coffee maker. Loved the strong flavor and the jolt!

Here is a link to an article:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6242467/ns/health-heart_health/t/coffee-cholesterol/#.XdAoCIyIahA

I returned to a drip coffee maker and then my added condiment in my coffee. I used to use the Carnation French Vanilla but now use nonfat condensed milk and non fat milk. I take a half a can on of the condensed milk and mix it in a 24 ounces of non fat milk and it was decent. If you wish you can add vanilla abstract for more add flavor. You can adjust the sweetness by adding less or more condensed milk if you wish. My blood/sugar has always been good so I don’t have issues with sugar.

The end results were good, my triglycerides are back to normal after getting more exercise and adjusting my diet.
I do believe that everything you eat is cumulative and since I drink two big cups of coffee in the morning may have added to my triglycerides. It has been two years and everything is back to normal. YMMV....
No need to worry about cholesterol and triglycerides if you drink straight espresso. I do add a little steamed 2% milk. Ask for cortado if at a coffee shop.

Echo others here that recommend learning to drink coffee black. That’s how you can start appreciating the nuances between okay coffee and great coffee (plus receive the added benefit of decreasing your cholesterol).

Lived on the Big Island 20 years ago and got hooked on Kona Coffee. Continue to have it shipped to the mainland monthly, enjoying the incredible nutty volcanic influenced flavor.

Excuse me, I need to go make a fresh cup now!

I really like lattes when I'm at a coffee joint. At home%hotels etc where the coffee unpredictably varies, I do coffee and a lot of skin milk. If the coffee is raunchy, it's diluted enough for me to pretend its espresso and hot milk. (Latte).

Back
Top Bottom