When can I start using Medicare?

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The quick answer is 65. But I want more accuracy. The SSA website says "If you enroll one to three months before you reach age 65 then your Part B Medicare coverage starts the month you reach age 65." I read that to be the first of the month in which I turn 65, not "when I turn 65".

The reason I am splitting hairs is that I had a similar situation with SSA. I filed the earliest possible date (maybe 3 months before birthday). This is for age 62 start. Let's say birthday was April 15. First check will arrive 3rd Wednesday of June. See the two month difference? It translates to over $3,000.

Why do I care when it starts? Just doing some ACA planning. If i need to keep ACA for an extra month or two, no problem. I am calling Medicare and am 6 minutes into the call, waiting for the next available representative. Just thought I would ask this group.

Update on my call. They say that if you were born on the 2nd through the 31st, your benefit will start (you will have a card in hand and be able to use it) on the first of the month that you turn 65. If you were born on the 1st of the month, you will have a card in hand and be able to use it on the 1st of the previous month. This all assumes you filed early enough before your birthday to process you. Can anyone confirm this?

Sign on and look at My health, preventive services, it will show the dates you are eligible for services.

Update on my call. They say that if you were born on the 2nd through the 31st, your benefit will start (you will have a card in hand and be able to use it) on the first of the month that you turn 65. If you were born on the 1st of the month, you will have a card in hand and be able to use it on the 1st of the previous month. This all assumes you filed early enough before your birthday to process you. Can anyone confirm this?
I went though this last year and I can confirm that my birthday was on the 21st of the month and Medicare started on the first of that same month. What happens with folks whose birthdays are on the 1st of the month I don't know but what you suggested sounds correct.

I went though this last year and I can confirm that my birthday was on the 21st of the month and Medicare started on the first of that same month. What happens with folks whose birthdays are on the 1st of the month I don't know but what you suggested sounds correct.

Same here. My birthday is on the 8th, and IIRC I used Medicare at a doctor appointment on the 3rd of that same month (just before my 65th birthday) with no problems.

Wow- this gives me hope. My 65th birthday is February 1 of next year and based on what I read here I'll have coverage from January 1, meaning no need to buy a short-term policy to cover the month of January.

I plan to apply well ahead of time and confirm this.

I was born on the first and Medicare started the first of the month before, however my employeers drug plan did not understand this.

Both Medicare and Social Security consider you to have attained a given age as of the day before your birthday. So if you were born on April 5th, you'll be treated as reaching 65 (or whatever age) on April 4th. If you were born on April 1st, you'll be treated as reaching 65 (or whatever age) on March 31st.

If Medicare uses the "month in which you turn 65" as their rule, it would make sense then that people born on April 1st can get coverage starting March 1st.

As far as when Social Security benefits are paid: They are paid in arrears and you have to qualify for benefits for the entire month in order to receive it. So in the OP's example, the first full month that you qualify for is May, which is paid in June. I don't recall how the day of the month is figured, but I think it has something to do with your birth date or Social Security number. My parents received their deposits on like the 3rd Thursday and the 4th Thursday of the month.

You're not getting shorted $3000; that's just how the rules work and what you are entitled to under the law. If it helps, after you die you and your estate will probably get one more monthly benefit check since they are paid in arrears.

Back
Top Bottom